Tonex One leaked?

• Thread starter aWoodenShip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, if it is good, it is good. A 40 year old Lexicon reverb still competes with new reverbs today.

A lexicon reverb is it's own thing. ToneX merely copies things that exist, and the ability to copy things that exist is only going to get better, faster, and cheaper. And not by small margins, either.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
A lexicon reverb is it's own thing. ToneX merely copies things that exist, and the ability to copy things that exist is only going to get better, faster, and cheaper. And not by small margins, either.
By that logic why bother buying it then, because you know next year there will be a better one? It is obsolete before you even buy it.

Overall, I just think all units should be able to be used by themselves. Look at a Fractal. The editor is nice, but you can still use them, and do everything without them.

Same reason why I was never interested in those Eventide H9 pedals.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tell that to my rack units that haven't had working editors since Windows 95, lol.

There have been several guitar and synth software that has been killed over the years that no longer work on modern Windows.
What's stopping you from firing up a windows 95 Virtual Machine and what I assume a USB-serial adapter and still use it? You can send certain types of hardware like USB or Serial directly to a VM.

Windows has insane backwards compatibility, but I would not expect some stuff from 1995 to still work. It's not even reasonable to demand/expect it.

Shask

Reaction score
What's stopping you from firing up a windows 95 Virtual Machine and what I assume a USB-serial adapter and still use it? You can send certain types of hardware like USB or Serial directly to a VM.

Windows has insane backwards compatibility, but I would not expect some stuff from 1995 to still work. It's not even reasonable to demand/expect it.
I haven't cared enough to mess with it because I can still use the buttons on the front of the units. That is an option because the editor is not a dongle that kills the unit.

Maybe I am just old school, but I just cant get along with the new mentality of throw-away gear.

narad

Reaction score
By that logic why bother buying it then, because you know next year there will be a better one? It is obsolete before you even buy it.
Because you value the ability to use it over the next year more than you value $180? Kind of economics 101 here.

narad

Reaction score
I pretty much keep everything forever, until it is unusable.

That's fine, but like, I have a circa 2006 Zune player. It still have it, it still works. But it doesn't benefit me in any way to think about how I could use it, when using it entails carrying around a bulky standalone device with wired headphones for playback of 4GBs of mp3s vs. streaming any song I want to hear in lossless quality to my phone that I carry around with me anyway. The technology has moved on. The technology when it comes to profiling, and how we interact with those models, is going to move on quickly.

Shask

Reaction score
That's fine, but like, I have a circa 2006 Zune player. It still have it, it still works. But it doesn't benefit me in any way to think about how I could use it, when using it entails carrying around a bulky standalone device with wired headphones for playback of 4GBs of mp3s vs. streaming any song I want to hear in lossless quality to my phone that I carry around with me anyway. The technology has moved on. The technology when it comes to profiling, and how we interact with those models, is going to move on quickly.
The point is though, you CAN still use it if you want to. It is not useless. You just chose not to. At that point, then you should get rid of it. For me, it is either useful, or it is gone. Therefore, I only buy things that will remain useful, for as long as possible. When I have a choice, I will buy things that have longevity in mind. I dont feel like these products are made for longevity.

Speaking of headphones, I only buy wired headphones. I really dont like Bluetooth headphones because they aren't built for longevity. They only last a few years because the battery quits holding a charge.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Agree with you there. I think we are still in the early days of profilers so what is the new hotness will be considered "junk" in a few years. With using machine learning the profiling hardware has seen a rapid change. Like 2 years ago people were happily spending like $1500 for a Kemper. Now we got people complaining about $180 pedals not lasting them decades. Things are moving fairly fast. In two more years I predict there will be $100 NAM pedals aplenty.

It's only a matter of time before Line 6 wades into this market as well.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
Alright. Stupid question. Can I capture my Granophyre plugin and finally have a portable hardware version of it?

Last edited:

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Alright. Stupid question. Can I capture my Granophyre plugin and finally have a portable hardware version of it?
Yup you can! I am too lazy to log into tone.net to see if there is already one uploaded, but you are prob best off making a capture with your fav settings.

Shask

Reaction score
Agree with you there. I think we are still in the early days of profilers so what is the new hotness will be considered "junk" in a few years. With using machine learning the profiling hardware has seen a rapid change. Like 2 years ago people were happily spending like $1500 for a Kemper. Now we got people complaining about $180 pedals not lasting them decades. Things are moving fairly fast. In two more years I predict there will be $100 NAM pedals aplenty.

It's only a matter of time before Line 6 wades into this market as well.
I would be more willing to buy a NAM pedal, because I know it is open source and someone would continue to support it.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
You're not going to care about tonex in 5 years. My Zoom pedal still works. I don't care that it does. It's been technologically completely superseded by other things.

But, Narad .. clearly, you are not the target audience. Neither I am.

It seems to me that these are great for students and musicians who are just getting started. Don't you think so?

narad

Reaction score
But, Narad .. clearly, you are not the target audience. Neither I am.

It seems to me that these are great for students and musicians who are just getting started. Don't you think so?

Sure, I'm not ragging on the product. More the logic behind not buying it because something better will come along. That is how it is with all technology of this sort, so you either bite the bullet at some point and say I value having what this device offers me right now, or you forever wind up not buying any comparable product. There's not going to be a "timeless" tiny computer with 3 knobs for loading ML profiles of gear.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Sure, I'm not ragging on the product. More the logic behind not buying it because something better will come along. That is how it is with all technology of this sort, so you either bite the bullet at some point and say I value having what this device offers me right now, or you forever wind up not buying any comparable product. There's not going to be a "timeless" tiny computer with 3 knobs for loading ML profiles of gear.
That's just it... There will always be something better to come along eventually. It's just hard to say how long it will take and how much it'll cost. It's a vaild point to say that without an editor, the Tonex pedal (and indeed the Mooer pedal I have) are extremely limited without an editor, unlike a Helix or Fractal unit that can be edited with controls on the unit. However, that's also reflected in the price. The Tonex pedal I bought was 1/5th the price of a Helix and about 1/3 the price of a used Axe-Fx II. Plus, I already have an HX FX unit, so all I wanted was an amp sim pedal and that's exactly what the Tonex pedal is, so I got one.
I also have an old Pod X3 and I can still get the Gearbox editor to work on that 10+ years later, so I figure the IK pedal should be good for some time unless the pedal itself dies (which can happen to any digital processor).

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll join the "no remotely controllable, no thanks" club. I see no use for it live. It's probably fantastic for home use but I'd rather use the bigger pedal.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I watched the ola video on this and it is honestly sounds really good for that size. I’m not into modelers at all, but I could see this as a way to do a quick gig or a way to dip your foot into the modeller/profiler world.

Shask

Reaction score
I am not saying not buying because there will be something better. I am saying making it reliant on something with a short limited time span.

Same reason why I own a house, and I don't rent. I do not want to be reliant on something I have no control over.