Tonex One leaked?

• Thread starter aWoodenShip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll join the "no remotely controllable, no thanks" club. I see no use for it live. It's probably fantastic for home use but I'd rather use the bigger pedal.
Are you talking about like Wifi/Bluetooth or do you mean midi?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Are you talking about like Wifi/Bluetooth or do you mean midi?
We are talking about the fact you cannot use the device without an editor. You cannot use it stand alone. You cannot use it without an online account and registration.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I am not saying not buying because there will be something better. I am saying making it reliant on something with a short limited time span.

Same reason why I own a house, and I don't rent. I do not want to be reliant on something I have no control over.

Yea, fair enough, I wavered a bit off your exact argument in responding to the other posts. But better matters because by the time this device actually ceases to work (however long that may be -- could be decades), no one will care about it, is my point. I don't expect to be in 20230, with modelers so extremely accurate and flooded with free options and new interfaces for interacting with profiles sampled across the full range of their parameters, and say, "man, I miss that 2024 ToneX sound". Nor at that time will I be miffed that I paid like $0.002 a day for that device that is worthless now.

But I'm not going to buy it anyway :D

Shask

Reaction score
Yea, fair enough, I wavered a bit off your exact argument in responding to the other posts. But better matters because by the time this device actually ceases to work (however long that may be -- could be decades), no one will care about it, is my point. I don't expect to be in 20230, with modelers so extremely accurate and flooded with free options and new interfaces for interacting with profiles sampled across the full range of their parameters, and say, "man, I miss that 2024 ToneX sound". Nor at that time will I be miffed that I paid like $0.002 a day for that device that is worthless now.

But I'm not going to buy it anyway :D
There is not only the concern to be obsolete, but also the framework for microtransactions. This could easily be changed to require you to pay monthly subscription, or per profile loaded, or, etc.... I am leery of all cloud based gear for that reason.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
There is not only the concern to be obsolete, but also the framework for microtransactions. This could easily be changed to require you to pay monthly subscription, or per profile loaded, or, etc.... I am leery of all cloud based gear for that reason.
Well, if that day ever comes I guess you can just sell it and move onto something else.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
We are talking about the fact you cannot use the device without an editor. You cannot use it stand alone. You cannot use it without an online account and registration.
I wasn't responding to you. I was quoting the person who said "no remotely controllable, no thanks" which has nothing to do with what you said in response to my question.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I get that. It's kind of like that old Digitech pedal that came out where you bought the inital pedal but you had to pay for the extra amps and effects 'a la carte' so you only had to pay for the ones you wanted instead of buying 'bundles'. If you were to buy a used one today, I don't think there's any way to load anything onto it.
So I get what you're saying about the Tonex. It doesn't have any amp sims 'built in' per se (unlike a Line 6 Pod), so if/when support for it goes away, you're kinda stuck with whatever happens to be loaded up at the time.

Shask

Reaction score
I get that. It's kind of like that old Digitech pedal that came out where you bought the inital pedal but you had to pay for the extra amps and effects 'a la carte' so you only had to pay for the ones you wanted instead of buying 'bundles'. If you were to buy a used one today, I don't think there's any way to load anything onto it.
So I get what you're saying about the Tonex. It doesn't have any amp sims 'built in' per se (unlike a Line 6 Pod), so if/when support for it goes away, you're kinda stuck with whatever happens to be loaded up at the time.
Sometimes I forget many people on here aren't old enough to remember when people owned things, and everything wasn't an in app purchase, subscription, or buy now pay later situation. :)

Spinedriver

Reaction score
It's funny, the Pod XTL was the first piece of gear I ever bought that you had to PAY to upgrade (the bass/metal/classic amp packs). It blew my mind that they wanted $100 to add a dozen or so amps to it that eventually were basically free if you bought the upgraded X3 unit a few years later.
I guess they were the pioneers of releasing something half baked and then charge people to 'make it better'.

Shask

Reaction score
It's funny, the Pod XTL was the first piece of gear I ever bought that you had to PAY to upgrade (the bass/metal/classic amp packs). It blew my mind that they wanted $100 to add a dozen or so amps to it that eventually were basically free if you bought the upgraded X3 unit a few years later.
I guess they were the pioneers of releasing something half baked and then charge people to 'make it better'.
Yep, I Had a Pod XT that I paid to upgrade with the amp packs. Then if people bought them used, it would delete them off there if they connected it to the computer because they were not the purchaser.

I had older units before that where you had to order an IC chip for like $20, and you got it in the mail, and you had to plug it into the circuit board to update. At least if you sold it they didn't show up at your house and yank out the chip, lol.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Strongly considering buying one of these to run dual amps with my FM3 :lol:
The small form factor means I wouldn't need to redo my setup.

Shask

Reaction score
Strongly considering buying one of these to run dual amps with my FM3 :lol:
The small form factor means I wouldn't need to redo my setup.
The problem with that is the sounds would probably be out of phase and sound bad. Going through the ADA conversions would produce latency which would put them out of phase.

I have seen people talking about how they wonder if they could use 2 of these in parallel for 2 amps, and if the captures would be in phase with each other.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
The problem with that is the sounds would probably be out of phase and sound bad. Going through the ADA conversions would produce latency which would put them out of phase.

I have seen people talking about how they wonder if they could use 2 of these in parallel for 2 amps, and if the captures would be in phase with each other.
That was my immediate thought as well. The filter blocks offer some phase flipping options, but I'm curious if that would be enough.

Worst case scenario it doesn't work in that regard, but I still have a nice, pocket-sized to go rig.

Shask

Reaction score
That was my immediate thought as well. The filter blocks offer some phase flipping options, but I'm curious if that would be enough.

Worst case scenario it doesn't work in that regard, but I still have a nice, pocket-sized to go rig.
In the FM3 you could also probably use the delay or flanger blocks to introduce delay to try to time align them.