Training to be a Navy SEAL

• Thread starter Tiger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
My brother wanted me to clarify something I mentioned earlier. There is only one special forces, and that's the Army Special Forces. All other special military groups, including the SEALs, are simply special operations, not special forces. Whatever... :rolleyes:

That's not at all implying less respect, but apparently, military guys, especially infantry related, are real particular about nomenclature. Again, wtf ever. Anyway...

Have you already spoken to a recruiter with the Navy and/or been to MEPS? Convincing a recruiter you have what it takes to go SEALs may end up stopping you before you start. I am not sure how hard it is to convince a recruiter to push you through, as I've never done it before, but I know there are definitely barriers to entry on the Army side.

What job are you contracting for in the Navy, in the event you fall out of the SEALs program?

Man, I'm really excited for you. I really, really hope you make it!

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Valid point about SF. But, Tiger never once said he was going to be Special Forces...he going to be a SEAL. He knows the difference, and is proud of it. Shit, we had a discussion a few pages back on the differences, and he seems to have a damned solid grasp on it.

Tiger

Reaction score
My brother wanted me to clarify something I mentioned earlier. There is only one special forces, and that's the Army Special Forces. All other special military groups, including the SEALs, are simply special operations, not special forces. Whatever... :rolleyes:

That's not at all implying less respect, but apparently, military guys, especially infantry related, are real particular about nomenclature. Again, wtf ever. Anyway...

Have you already spoken to a recruiter with the Navy and/or been to MEPS? Convincing a recruiter you have what it takes to go SEALs may end up stopping you before you start. I am not sure how hard it is to convince a recruiter to push you through, as I've never done it before, but I know there are definitely barriers to entry on the Army side.

What job are you contracting for in the Navy, in the event you fall out of the SEALs program?

Man, I'm really excited for you. I really, really hope you make it!

I've been in DEP since May of last year, I took all the necessary exams for an SO contract and got it, got injured, got redundantly attrited, Navy fixed their error, got my SO contract again in May, now Im waiting to ship in September.

They have an entire program devoted to culling SEAL wannabes and prepping them before they even ship, we work with SEAL's in a boat crew here and get training and tests every two weeks while we wait to ship. They've got a good thing going.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
I've been in DEP since May of last year, I took all the necessary exams for an SO contract and got it, got injured, got redundantly attrited, Navy fixed their error, got my SO contract again in May, now Im waiting to ship in September.

They have an entire program devoted to culling SEAL wannabes and prepping them before they even ship, we work with SEAL's in a boat crew here and get training and tests every two weeks while we wait to ship. They've got a good thing going.

Wow! Awesome!

I'd be shitting my pants right now! LOL :lol:

I admire you guys. I didn't get the athletic genes. My brother did. He runs 5 miles in under 35 minutes. I run to the bathroom. Get the picture? So like I said, I really admire people than can do this sort of stuff.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
No homo, but can you take any pics you can put up sometime before you ship out so we can have an idea of how far you've come physically?

Tiger

Reaction score
Hell yes. It's about damned time, man. Feel ready?

Of course not, haha. I am trying to look at it like a training cycle, I've been told boot camp is going to feel like a taper from training, so I guess I can take advantage of that and 'rest' up before indoc. But mentally I'm straight.

No homo, but can you take any pics you can put up sometime before you ship out so we can have an idea of how far you've come physically?

I was going to do some straight on and profile pics for myself so I'd be able to see what the next few years does but I dont mind posting them. I actually feel like I look the same as I have the past few months even though my numbers have all steadily gone up, I think maybe my calves have exploded but thats about the only different looking thing. I think most of the improvement is under the hood where it counts, I've been training my heart/lungs like crazy.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Wow, man, D-day for you is almost here. Please keep us updated as best as you can as progress through things.

I can't even imagine all the thoughts going through your head right now. Good luck sleeping the night before!!! :lol:

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
But mentally I'm straight.

That's the important part. Keep your eyes on the target, and you'll do fine.

EDIT:

The 50m target...that's the tricky one. Target, engage, destroy, move. Wash, rinse, repeat, lol.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Thought this was pertinent.

A little humor on your way out the door. If you surf around that guy's channel, he actually has some great videos. He's an ex-SEAL.