Tuning Keys - Matter of milimeters!

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Hey all!

Quick question ...

Okay so I want to replace the stock open back tuners (Wilkinson) on my Agile Renaissance 8 string with some Shertlers (http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...s/Schertler_Classical_Guitar_Tuning_Keys.html). Before I order I want to be sure of the distance between screw holes. The specs on the Wilkinson screws distance is 25.40mm (1") - the spec sheet on the Shertlers say screw distance of 26mm. I believe that comes to about a 3/64s difference. Split the difference between the 2 screws and it's a pretty tiny discrepancy - sure seems like it would drop in - anyone think it will be problematic?

I do plan to use the toothpick/glue on the holes regardless for extra bite.

Thanks!
Daf

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Okay - update for anyone that may come searching for similar data. The Schertlers are indeed direct drop ins. The supplied screws were a bit smaller - I used white glue and toothpick tips to create more bite for the threads. Worked very well for me.

I am using the Tun -BK-ES-E models found here: https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/shop/tuning-machines/tun-es - they are very high end precision tuners. I had been experiencing some slippage with the factory Wilkinsons - so far the Schertler are rock solid - they look great, too! ;)

I contacted the company and asked if they would sell me a set of 6 and 2 extra so as not to have to buy 2 sets. They not only did so but did not charge me for 2 day shipping! They are in Switzerland and I'm in USA. Yikes! Nice! So the set of 8 ended up costing about $175. A bit high for tuners but wth. :)

Note: they are not intended for use with extended range guitars. They will not accept any gauge over .70. Luckily I play a fairly light set with .70 as the largest. I was barely able to get it through the hole.

Thanks!
Daf

Lemons

Reaction score
If you ever want to move up a gauge on the low F# just bore the whole out a little with an appropriately sized drill bit :yesway:

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
I know that is an option - I'm not in a hurry to mangle a tuner with a power tool - Ha ha - that is probably what will happen if I try it. ;)