Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
The Tone King was another who used to be TERRIBLE. I haven't seen his vids in forever but everything he played sounded like Satan throwing up in a malfunctioning woodchipper.
He now uses cab sims and sounds much better. His playing still is what it is, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
Plus their reviews have to be positive, cause otherwise they don’t get stuff sent to review anymore.
You can basically chuck 90% of the reviews on well known YouTube channels in the bin. Go through the video channels of Phillip McNight, Ola, Rabea, the guy with the beard, Pete Thorn & try to find a “negative review”. Just a coincidence? Is all the new gear so awesome? I think Eytsh Pi is the only one where I came across some negative comments (some TC Electronic pedals) , and he’s basically on Thomann’s payroll.
Philip McKnight said some negative stuff about the Chapman Ghost Fret that he reviewed. It was couched in "well... it's what you'd expect for a $400 guitar" kind of language, but he made it pretty clear that he wasn't impressed with it overall.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
He did a review of that Black Spirit 200 floor amp and pointed out a bunch of shit that H&K should've done. Apparently he didn't take it "seriously" enough, and had to record a response video to comments.

Okay I'm not surprised there. H&K has gone fucking deep into the Youtube/internet/instagram advertising so I'm sure they watch that shit like a hawk.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The viewers were the reason for the video if memory serves.

Is that the German dude who got a bunch of people saying he was being paid for the review? And then when he was like "obviously I'm being paid for this review, but I'm still giving a fair review of the product" and then people criticize him for being honest about being paid? Or something thereabouts.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
I have a new fun unpopular opinion.

Wood is a fucking awful material to build guitars out of. I have a few guitars I have to set up a few times a year depending on temperature changes. Vigiers don't even have a truss rod and I saw a video of a guy putting the neck in a sauna and a freezer and afterwards it was still within factory specs.

I've played multiple magnesium/aluminum/composite body guitars. I've also played a few with aluminum/composite necks and they're so much better. Aluminum especially. It has so much more tonal range as long as you allow it to warm up to the temperature of the room.

I also have a guitar where the body is made out of recycled plastic that has been melted down into a mold and it sounds and feels and sounds every bit as good as my Gibson SG with P90s.

Edit: Carbon fiber is awesome and more guitars need made out of it.

Edit 2: People should build guitars out of laminated bamboo because it grows super fast and is really strong and cheap.

Attachments

• hgfs.jpg
    hgfs.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
Normally I'd be mad and talk shit but you like Loudness so you have good taste.

Plastic is cool because you can swirl and give it any color you want though.

Mathemagician

Reaction score

Wood is a fucking awful material to build guitars out of. I have a few guitars I have to set up a few times a year depending on temperature changes. Vigiers don't even have a truss rod and I saw a video of a guy putting the neck in a sauna and a freezer and afterwards it was still within factory specs.

I've played multiple magnesium/aluminum/composite body guitars. I've also played a few with aluminum/composite necks and they're so much better. Aluminum especially. It has so much more tonal range as long as you allow it to warm up to the temperature of the room.

I also have a guitar where the body is made out of recycled plastic that has been melted down into a mold and it sounds and feels and sounds every bit as good as my Gibson SG with P90s.

Edit 2: People should build guitars out of laminated bamboo because it grows super fast and is really strong and cheap.

I agree with everything you said. But I just want to be clear that that guitar has a look only a CNC machine could love.

That said the color/swirl works.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard of The Captain, but not Lee Anderton. Is he that guy that's always with Rob Chapman or Danish Pete every time I see an Andertons video?

Yeah, he's in all the vids. The Captain is Lee Anderton the owner.

Then there's Danish Pete (Pete Honore), Rob Chapman (Chappers, Monkey Lord, D-bag), and of course the SSO fav Rabea Massad. I know Pete works there, and the rest are just friends IIRC.

Philip McKnight said some negative stuff about the Chapman Ghost Fret that he reviewed. It was couched in "well... it's what you'd expect for a $400 guitar" kind of language, but he made it pretty clear that he wasn't impressed with it overall.

Did you ever watch the McKnight vs The Guitologist flame war? I'm not convinced they didn't agree to it just to boost eachother's channels lol.

Is that the German dude who got a bunch of people saying he was being paid for the review? And then when he was like "obviously I'm being paid for this review, but I'm still giving a fair review of the product" and then people criticize him for being honest about being paid? Or something thereabouts.

Hey, Hans Gruber sold me some good pedals cheap so I have nothing but love for him.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I agree with all of this but that V looks like its parents are siblings.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Yeah, he's in all the vids. The Captain is Lee Anderton the owner. Then there's Danish Pete (Pete Honore), Rob Chapman (Chappers, Monkey Lord, D-bag), and of course the SSO fav Rabea Massad. I know Pete works there, and the rest are just friends IIRC.
Ah, thank you!

Please know that I wasn't being serious about not knowing who the guys at Andertons were