Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I maintain the only convenience factor that tubes still will in is the "plonk" factor. Tube amp plonks down with almost zero thought put into it, and it will work, and it will be loud. Choosing how to amplify a digital solution is more involved. Not a lot more involved, but more involved, especially if you're in gear sharing scenarios where some components aren't predictable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Like look at folks that buy a flagship modeler and then try and play it through the cheapest powered speaker they can find or worse, studio monitors.
Aaah, that's my favourite. Run your 3k flagship modeller through a $100 audio interface and a $300 set of monitors.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
It's very uncommon for someone to actually be as smart as they think they are, but very common for them to be dumber than they can imagine. Typically these are mutually inclusive factors.

Not saying this poignantly at all other than as an unpopular opinion about opinions in general.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
My flagship modeller sounds pretty damn good with my CR4s :lol: but I use them so little it doesnt matter. My room is not treated, I could maybe fit a 5” pair on the desk - one day I’ll change them but thats a ways off. Cap’n headphones here :lol:

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Because option paralysis?
This is definitely the case for me. I don't blame the modeler, though, it's a personal thing (though I'll still talk shit for funsies). Same reason I don't get along with menu-based multi-FX, or even pedals with too many knobs and alt functions. I know myself, a modeler would, at very best, waste a bunch of my time and creative energy.

Incidentally, I had a dream last night that I got an Axe FX II. Even in my dreams I couldn't figure out how to work the damn thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Are you comparing plugging straight into the amp to using something like Axe FX or are you comparing a tube rig that can do comparable things to the Axe FX? Plugging straight into the amp would be more comparable to plugging into Tonex or another AIAB modeling pedal, whereas plugging into a comparable rig to a "full-fat" modeler would require a giant pedalboard or racks of gear, equipment for routing and switching...etc. Or are we talking about recording where you plug the USB of a modeler into a computer and then start recording compared to a tube amp which requires at the bare minimum a cab, a mic, a cable, an interface, and most likely a room that can handle loudness. Or a load box which might have USB, but probably still requires an interface. Or are you just talking about "shaping a tone" where you just turn some knobs and call it a day in the room, because again, you can do that with literally any modern modeler (except maybe the TMP) and get great sounds unless your personality won't let you NOT tweak stuff just because its available? I guess I could see a tube amp being slightly more convenient for a sound guy who really likes his microphones.

Because option paralysis?

I can't think of a situation that using modeling gear has ever itself been a problem vs. tube gear I've owned. At least comparing like for like. I see folks run into issues because they think a small floorboard will replace an entire rig, but that's more of a people problem than the gear.

I'd say most folks still have no idea what they're doing with modeling gear, especially in the context of live use, which creates friction.

Like look at folks that buy a flagship modeler and then try and play it through the cheapest powered speaker they can find or worse, studio monitors.

I guess what I'm getting at is by the time I got a modelling setup (I'm mainly speaking for band use/live) in a manner which I would actually be happy with it the rig would no longer be any more convenient than a classic setup, and would be more complex and involve just as much hauling of stuff (if not potentially more)

When it comes to recording, thats the main area I see more convenience, but even then there's numerous tools out there that make recording with amps a breeze these days too

Really I just tire of the "this vs. that" thing or one or the other is going to die off. I think we're in a space where both are going to continue coexisting peacefully as valid options and people and people should just worry about what works and pleases them individually

I could probably be considered a "tube purist" but I don't have a vendetta against modelling or anything. In fact, the clean tones of several of my band's recordings on spotify are Axe III

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I guess what I'm getting at is by the time I got a modelling setup (I'm mainly speaking for band use/live) in a manner which I would actually be happy with it the rig would no longer be any more convenient than a classic setup, and would be more complex and involve just as much hauling of stuff (if not potentially more)

When it comes to recording, thats the main area I see more convenience, but even then there's numerous tools out there that make recording with amps a breeze these days too

Really I just tire of the "this vs. that" thing or one or the other is going to die off. I think we're in a space where both are going to continue coexisting peacefully as valid options and people and people should just worry about what works and pleases them individually

I could probably be considered a "tube purist" but I don't have a vendetta against modelling or anything. In fact, the clean tones of several of my band's recordings on spotify are Axe III
I’m definitely of the opinion that people should play whatever inspires them to play. I’m just trying to imagine the tube rig that would require more gear of a modeling setup to replicate.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
With the floor unit modelers they got out now you can just send balanced outs to front of house. Seems pretty easy in ideal scenarios, and it's the direction things are moving.

It's not the lowest common denominator or arguably the default by any means currently. Those would be attributes of plopping down a tube amp, because scenarios are never completely ideal.

Reaction score
How? Explain this, please.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If you can afford a $2500 modeler, you can afford a $200 desk :D
And if they dont want or dont physically have space for the desk?

My “desk” is my aunts or great grandmothers old dining room table. Currently thinking about consolidating whats on it and folding a leaf to shoehorn a second 412 beside it :lol:.

Shask

Reaction score
And if they dont want or dont physically have space for the desk?

My “desk” is my aunts or great grandmothers old dining room table. Currently thinking about consolidating whats on it and folding a leaf to shoehorn a second 412 beside it :lol:.
If someone is buying fancy modelers, but dont live in a space big enough to live in, I would question their life priorities :)

However, other ideas, shelves on walls, monitor stands, etc....

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If someone is buying fancy modelers, but dont live in a space big enough to live in, I would question their life priorities :)

However, other ideas, shelves on walls, monitor stands, etc....
Part of the reason people buy modellers is precisely because they dont have a lot of room for equipment, cmon now.

Latest posts