Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
a lot of artec pickups are just as good as dimarzio/duncans.

d'addario nyxl and DR strings are massively overpriced for the quality

Lundgren M series are the most overrated metal pickup in existence next to the EMG 81/85

upper mids>lower mids

Sunn O is the most boring band in existence besides Boris or Low

Solid state amps suck, but they suck less than they did back in the day
Same for modelers

Ernie Ball Prodigy (jazz iii shape) picks are the best production pick hands down. Good balance of durability, minimal pick noise and reasonable price point.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
I find it funny how a lot of these bands are starting to switch to automatic switching via MIDI tracks, which is something to give them more freedom... yet they're still stone dead on stage.
I absolutely hate it. I was all about putting on a show when I was still trying to do the band thing. My last band looked like sesame street and Dr Seuss had a meth love child, but we had fun and always tried to put on the best show possible. I hate watching dudes rock out with a foot up on the monitor standing there like a deer caught in headlights. Very few people will pay to see that and only that, give them something to watch.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Youtuber's that have never actually released a real album and/or don’t play live should not be endorsing Pickups/Guitars/Plugin's/Amps.
The music industry landscape has changed. Nowadays, a guitar youtuber who puts out content that gets a ton of views will have far more influence than someone from a cult band with a small following. For me, it's mainly down to whether I respect that person's level of musicianship and level of influence, and that's it. Also, a virtuoso is a virtuoso regardless if he's doing it standing up on a stage with a band or sitting down in a studio. I do think whether the person has released a decent amount of original music matters, or at the very least has done enough covers with a respectable amount of originality and not just play stuff exactly like the original.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The music industry landscape has changed. Nowadays, a guitar youtuber who puts out content that gets a ton of views will have far more influence than someone from a cult band with a small following. For me, it's mainly down to whether I respect that person's level of musicianship and level of influence, and that's it. Also, a virtuoso is a virtuoso regardless if he's doing it standing up on a stage with a band or sitting down in a studio. I do think whether the person has released a decent amount of original music matters, or at the very least has done enough covers with a respectable amount of originality and not just play stuff exactly like the original.
100% agree. I guess I should revise my statement to say folks that actually make music. With bonus points for folks that also play live.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I've already let this one fly because I have no filter, but the Gibson SG is garbage. It feels like trash. It sounds like trash. It looks like trash. If it weren't for Tony Iommi and that schoolgirl from AC/DC it would have been shoved in the same trash can as the Corvus long ago, where it belongs.

Reaction score
Dean MLs are the greatest guitars in existence.

You don't need stainless steel frets considering you're not likely playing enough to wear the nickel ones down.

Neural DSP makes garbage for idiots who need pretty colors at a premium.

It's all been done before. Stop thinking your tonal salvation lies in the newest thing. Grab some older stuff and make it work.

Your technical proficiency as a guitarist doesn't matter in the slightest. If you look cool and are a semi decent songwriter you'll have much more success.

Black metal is some of the most majestic music to have ever been created.

The Spice Girls are a great example of good business sense and a lot of musicians would do well to learn from them.

Chances are if the guitarist is playing some extended scale style guitar the music is going to fucking suck.

Buying someone's signature gear and trying to be like them is what stupid people do because they lack the creativity to think for themselves...this is mainly directed at Dimebag fans.

Last edited:

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guitars are fashion items

A good stage show is more important than a perfectly played set

The current trend of every high gain amp needing to be the tightest sound is dumb.

It's exactly one of the reasons I love my Rockerverb, because it is the complete opposite of that.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
8jgki5.jpg

Accurate.

KailM

Reaction score
A 120 watt tube half stack is the perfect home amp.

Black metal > Death metal

Technical proficiency does not guarantee good music; in fact, it often gets in the way.

Metal music production peaked in the early to mid 2000s, and has gone downhill ever since.

Mortargag

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"Unpopular opinions" are just popular opinions folks like to parrot on the internet to seem hip.
Depends on the unpopular (popular?) opinion I would say...or whether it's an opinion based on real experiences or just an assessment made based on reddit/YouTube reviews.

BTW, may I be considered hip now? 😶‍🌫️