Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Hm:

If you have to run your tube amp into a load box to actually use it, you might as well get a quality modeller and power amp (and enjoy not blowing amps, not burning through tubes, more amps to try).

If you cant actually turn your amp up to where you like the sound without spending more money (load box or attenuator), find somewhere to do so and pocket that cash :yesway:.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hm:

If you have to run your tube amp into a load box to actually use it, you might as well get a quality modeller and power amp (and enjoy not blowing amps, not burning through tubes, more amps to try).

If you cant actually turn your amp up to where you like the sound without spending more money (load box or attenuator), find somewhere to do so and pocket that cash :yesway:.

Vehemently disagree :lol: Then again the only amps I have that NEED a load box are NMV Marshalls that would literally break plaster to get the best sound out of them without a load.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Hm:

That's a lot of extra steps to get the same 5150 red channel sound.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Vehemently disagree :lol: Then again the only amps I have that NEED a load box are NMV Marshalls that would literally break plaster to get the best sound out of them without a load.
Take em out of the house and crank em!

And if the MV is good then you dont need the load box :yesway:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I tend to think that much of what makes a tube amp distinct from digital is the all the speaker/load interaction stuff that digital hasn't quite nailed yet - and a loadbox can change that character, as I understand it, so it's not a perfect solution anyway.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I tend to think that much of what makes a tube amp distinct from digital is the all the speaker/load interaction stuff that digital hasn't quite nailed yet - and a loadbox can change that character, as I understand it, so it's not a perfect solution anyway.
Hence the axe having 4-5? Load box IR options :yesway:

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
The people who measure and graph all this stuff for modelers are doing good things for the technology, even if FMIC doesn't like it. But holy shit, do those guys rarely if ever actually make any music. I've never heard a song that was good because of the electrical interaction between an amp and cabinet or a riff that I thought "Damn, I bet they had the 8 Ohm output plugged into a 16 ohm cab there".

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have an EVH head and was still looking at OG 5150’s this week, to add to my pile of amps I can’t crank in my apartment and need a load box so I can put it into my Fractal unit. Decided I’m getting a JP2C+ instead, though.
Can I offer you a 5150 script in this trying time?

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
The people who measure and graph all this stuff for modelers are doing good things for the technology, even if FMIC doesn't like it. But holy shit, do those guys rarely if ever actually make any music. I've never heard a song that was good because of the electrical interaction between an amp and cabinet or a riff that I thought "Damn, I bet they had the 8 Ohm output plugged into a 16 ohm cab there".

That’s the entire reason I started the Do Something challenge at TGF, the thought of starting yet another gear forum where people would inevitably shit on gear/music while not adding any output of their own would have made me hate the place pretty quickly.

The original premise of it was “Do Something other than bitching about gear or talking tech specs that don’t mean shit when it comes to making actual music’

And there are still days I have to check in on it less than usual because I just get sick of seeing a lot of the scrutiny or even basic discussion.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Tone is in the cab in the room. Big speakers moving a lot of air. Doesn't matter what's moving the air as long as there is a lot of it smashing every corner of the room.

I don’t even need a lot of it moving air, just the cab at a volume I can hear it. It’s such a different experience than the whole IR thing. The only time I’m playing out of IR’s now is when I’m recording, amps and FM9 both come out of real cabs for everything but recording, even if it’s 10 minutes of noodling in my couch.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t even need a lot of it moving air, just the cab at a volume I can hear it. It’s such a different experience than the whole IR thing. The only time I’m playing out of IR’s now is when I’m recording, amps and FM9 both come out of real cabs for everything but recording, even if it’s 10 minutes of noodling in my couch.

Eh, it's even more simple than that.

Take any amp and make it loud and it will sound good. That's literally the story of guitar music.

That doesn't mean quiet stuff doesn't sound good. It's just volume will fix just about any issue you have.

Too much bass? Don't worry, only so much will actually hit your brain. Too much treble? Your ears will fatigue and it'll mellow out. Not enough mids? The range of the instrument and the volume will make you heard. Noise? You passed that floor long ago.

Said by someone who has the played not through headphones in like two months. :lol:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Hm:

If you cant actually turn your amp up to where you like the sound without spending more money (load box or attenuator), find somewhere to do so and pocket that cash :yesway:
Truer words were never spoken.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
If there's anything I've learned from working in anything vaguely audio related, it's that you've done a good job when you don't notice things like this. The whole point of a good tool is that it abstracts all that stuff away from you so that you don't need to think about it.