Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Are you freakin' serious? :lol:

I can imagine the conversation already:
"Honey, we're moving. I can't get the room pumping with my 5" monitors. Let's move to a house and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars so I can get some 8" monitors rollin'":rofl:
You have to have a better sales pitch. "Honey, aren't you ready to have a yard where you can have pretty flowers and a back porch swing where you could relax while I am in the basement playing?"

:D

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
You have to have a better sales pitch. "Honey, aren't you ready to have a yard where you can have pretty flowers and a back porch swing where you could relax while I am in the basement playing?"

:D

Ironically, we talked about this the other day after recent break-ins in the neighborhood were some friends live. She's perfectly happy living in the city. Also she's terrible with plants :rofl:

Shask

Reaction score
Ironically, we talked about this the other day after recent break-ins in the neighborhood were some friends live. She's perfectly happy living in the city. Also she's terrible with plants :rofl:
There are lots of benefits. One reason we moved is because city schools suck and we wanted our kids to go to a good school. Also, the apartments had people trashing the parking lots, drunk people knocking on random doors at 3am, etc... wanted away from that.

Well worth the money, plus you are earning equity towards your net worth.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Conversely I can get great tone from my 5153 and a 4x12 at lower than TV volumes :lol:

According to those who believe tone = pushing a volume of air, no you can't! :lol:

One of my best purchases for apartment volume tone is just a volume pedal in the loop. I'd been using the 1 watt mode and putting the volume at like 0.5 for years, but with the volume pedal I can set the amp to full power and make it usable with the pedal. That being said I think I still prefer Suhr RL > interface > 2 inch desktop speakers from 15 years ago with an IR in a DAW. Better yet, I put the amp in a closet and just plug a cable in to my interface and use a plugin for 99.99999% of at-home jamming.

Shask

Reaction score
According to those who believe tone = pushing a volume of air, no you can't! :lol:

One of my best purchases for apartment volume tone is just a volume pedal in the loop. I'd been using the 1 watt mode and putting the volume at like 0.5 for years, but with the volume pedal I can set the amp to full power and make it usable with the pedal. That being said I think I still prefer Suhr RL > interface > 2 inch desktop speakers from 15 years ago with an IR in a DAW. Better yet, I put the amp in a closet and just plug a cable in to my interface and use a plugin for 99.99999% of at-home jamming.
Its really not about the volume, it is more about the surface area of the speakers, and the size of the enclosure.

Yes, I always used an EQ pedal with a volume slider. Same idea. These days I normally use a reactive loadbox, and then run that back through a a poweramp to get the loud tone, at low volumes. WAY better feel than amp plugins.

Matt08642

Reaction score
These days I normally use a reactive loadbox, and then run that back through a a poweramp to get the loud tone, at low volumes. WAY better feel than amp plugins.

That's just the kind of fuckery I'd want to try lol. I'd also like to use a power amp just to see what different amp plugins sound like through an actual cab.

Shask

Reaction score
That's just the kind of fuckery I'd want to try lol. I'd also like to use a power amp just to see what different amp plugins sound like through an actual cab.
The past week I have been running my Triple Recto into a reactive loadbox, through a mixer, and then back into a 4xKT88 200w poweramp into 2 212 cabs in stereo. HUGE massive sound, at whisper quiet volumes. Add some stereo delay and reverb.

Personally, I always think the IR is the weak link. Going back into actual cabs brings the bigness.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The past week I have been running my Triple Recto into a reactive loadbox, through a mixer, and then back into a 4xKT88 200w poweramp into 2 212 cabs in stereo. HUGE massive sound, at whisper quiet volumes. Add some stereo delay and reverb.

Personally, I always think the IR is the weak link. Going back into actual cabs brings the bigness.
And if you mic’d the 212’s you would be back at small/IR. Amp in the room only happens with an amp in the room.

I also wonder what “whisper quiet” actually measures at when we throw it around :lol:

Shask

Reaction score
And if you mic’d the 212’s you would be back at small/IR. Amp in the room only happens with an amp in the room.

I also wonder what “whisper quiet” actually measures at when we throw it around :lol:
Yes, but that is for the purpose of recording, not playing for the enjoyment of playing, as I mentioned above. Two different situations/purposes.

In this case, the volume level is lower than the volume of the fan on my KT88 power amp, lol.

Sometimes I also use a rack parametric EQ and a Matrix GT1000fx. That works well also, with fewer tubes.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
My recording tones are my playing tones when it comes to my axefx :lol: and i have 0 plans to ever mic my big rigs.

probably a fair guess that others run that way too for the most part.

Shask

Reaction score
My recording tones are my playing tones when it comes to my axefx :lol: and i have 0 plans to ever mic my big rigs.

probably a fair guess that others run that way too for the most part.
I see it as 2 different things. Normally recorded tones are not fun to play, or sound great by themselves. They are tweaked to sound good in a mix, and feel dont matter.

However, when I am playing in person for enjoyment, I want the huge rumbling lows, the highs that would step over the cymbals, and the scooped mids that would never cut live. It is fine to have an outrageous tone, because it is just for fun.

I dont get the point of all these people wanting 'mix-ready' or 'stage-ready' tones, when they never play live, and never record a thing. Have fun. Make it sound good instead.

On my FM3, I have tones set up to go into my monitors that could be recorded, and I have other presets optimized for plugging into my tube stuff. I found many years ago the same presets dont work well for both, so I might as well optimize each.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion: Less gain is more useful.

Almost in every amp I've tried so far (not many though... ) I've never needed to dial in more than 50-60% of the gain in the high gain channel to achieve my ideal tone (sweet spot?). However, I use to boost almost all the time to keep the low frequencies off the amp's input & to boost those mids -> tighten up the high gain tone. Then I use to cut the mids either from the amp's tonestack, or (whenever I'm not lazy) with an eq pedal in the fx loop.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I dont get the point of all these people wanting 'mix-ready' or 'stage-ready' tones, when they never play live, and never record a thing. Have fun. Make it sound good instead.
Most people I know that play have the end goal of either releasing recorded music or performing live. For my use I wouldn't want to try to figure out how to deal with a massive tonal shift from "for fun" times to "actually doing stuff" times.