Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Most people I know that play have the end goal of either releasing recorded music or performing live. For my use I wouldn't want to try to figure out how to deal with a massive tonal shift from "for fun" times to "actually doing stuff" times.
I know tons of people that just play for fun. There doesn't have to be a goal. You just do it because you enjoy it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I know tons of people that just play for fun. There doesn't have to be a goal. You just do it because you enjoy it.
My “for fun” is in a band to play on stage which also happens to be work haha.

I think “play as a hobby/pastime” may be more accurate for what you’re describing :yesway:.

In all my time playing I have not encountered too many people who play alone who dont want to be heard otherwise (they are out there!).

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I'm never going to release anything again. Never going to play another show. Don't care, in fact would hate to. When I did have those motivations they were a great drive to write and improve my skills, though. I was hungry for it. The reality of it now is an extensive awe at how I ever cared about all that mess in the slightest. I'm not an "artist" and networking with most artists is about as enjoyable as snake charming to me. I don't care about attention from strangers or being popular. I want to not be popular and just chill with my few, but high quality and very enriching, friends. I'm not capable of the genuine enthusiasm performance entertainment requires and breathing the same air doesn't make me buddies by default with anyone in my book. I'm the problem maybe, that's fine. Still could shred most folks up and down the block before I hung it up, that's all I really ever wanted to accomplish I think- freedom on the instrument.

Shask

Reaction score
My “for fun” is in a band to play on stage which also happens to be work haha.

I think “play as a hobby/pastime” may be more accurate for what you’re describing :yesway:.

In all my time playing I have not encountered too many people who play alone who dont want to be heard otherwise (they are out there!).
I have played for nearly 40 years and I have had no desire to play out or release albums. Maybe that is a new thing for the younger 'influencer' generation. I dont like the live music scene, or being in public in general. I have learned how to record, and have recorded things, but it was more for the fun of learning it, and because I like to make bleeps and bloops on synth VSTs.

Having multiple careers as the money-makers is enough stress, I dont need another goal, lol. Music, gear, and playing is just a stress relief fun activity.

Maybe you dont encounter them because they are at work, or at home, lol. Only the people who like to be out playing, will be out playing.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have played for nearly 40 years and I have had no desire to play out or release albums. Maybe that is a new thing for the younger 'influencer' generation. I dont like the live music scene, or being in public in general. I have learned how to record, and have recorded things, but it was more for the fun of learning it, and because I like to make bleeps and bloops on synth VSTs.

Having multiple careers as the money-makers is enough stress, I dont need another goal, lol. Music, gear, and playing is just a stress relief fun activity.

Maybe you dont encounter them because they are at work, or at home, lol. Only the people who like to be out playing, will be out playing.
Influencer has nothing to do with it (been playing since 99 btw) its that some people want to create with others and some dont.

I have toured and satan knows it wasnt to make money :lol:

Shask

Reaction score
“Just have fun with it” - Misha jaxadam
That is more financial advice... if you aren't doing it for fun, you should be doing it for bank. Don't put that much work into something that barely pays.

Shask

Reaction score
Influencer has nothing to do with it (been playing since 99 btw) its that some people want to create with others and some dont.

I have toured and satan knows it wasnt to make money :lol:
I just find it more common with the younger generations. Everyone wants to put everything out on the internet somewhere.

jaxadam

Reaction score
That is more financial advice... if you aren't doing it for fun, you should be doing it for bank. Don't put that much work into something that barely pays.

But the bar you set shouldn't just be “not being broke”. That’s the difference between thriving and surviving. I wouldn’t take health and fitness advice from someone whose bar is just being able to “breathe on their own”.

Shask

Reaction score
But the bar you set shouldn't just be “not being broke”. That’s the difference between thriving and surviving. I wouldn’t take health and fitness advice from someone whose bar is just being able to “breathe on their own”.
People who are truly thriving do not talk about the levels at which they are thriving, because they are humble and don't gloat.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score

I’m almost 40 playing music that doesn’t make any money and barely put out any “content” besides an EP every couple of years, lol. Well we’ve kept the band together long enough to be at the “t shirts and gas don’t come out of my pocket” point. It is weird to me to think of the gear in any other way than what works best for creating with others and playing shows. IMO digital solutions are much more efficient tools. But that’s also coming from someone who has framed employment around my creative time so budget is always consideration.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I just find it more common with the younger generations. Everyone wants to put everything out on the internet somewhere.
People wanted to play live since way before the internet :lol:

jaxadam

Reaction score
People who are truly thriving do not talk about the levels at which they are thriving, because they are humble and don't gloat.

You set the financial advice bar at “not being broke” a few posts back and I just don’t think that is very promising advice!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, true, but only a small percentage put enough effort into it to do it. The entrance to that now is much lower.
Hard disagree. The thing the internet did was make finding people easier and expanding the *potential* audience.

Better equipment for less money has done way more for letting more people successfully get into making music. Less than 1% of the population plays guitar, iirc.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Should we make this the "not being broke thread"? :lol:

Shask

Reaction score
Hard disagree. The thing the internet did was make finding people easier and expanding the *potential* audience.

Better equipment for less money has done way more for letting more people successfully get into making music. Less than 1% of the population plays guitar, iirc.
Anyone with a phone who wants to act stupid on the internet for 30 seconds can get thier stuff out there. In the past you had to learn an instrument, find others to practice with, get good enough to get gigs, haul gear to play, play, un haul, etc.... FAR more work than clicking post on TikTok.