URGENT: Schecter Hellraiser question!

• Thread starter InAbsentia_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
I bought a Hellraiser today (Made in South Korea, set up in Burbank and the serial number starts with 08, so it's an 08 model with the EMG 81TW/89 pickups.

The only thing is, all the hellraisers I see online don't have an inlay on the 24th fret but my one does. Also, it has gray pearl binding on the headstock too, whereas on the official website it doesn't.

What's this all about? Please help!

Here's what my one looks like except it's in black. This is the only picture I've seen online which has the inlay on the 24th fret apart from some Youtube videos.

SchecterHellraiserC-1BCHClose.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
Why is this so urgent? Looks like a nice guitar. Maybe Schecter changed that particular design aspect after 2008's production run? You know, cutting shit out to save money, but raising the price.

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
Why is this so urgent? Looks like a nice guitar. Maybe Schecter changed that particular design aspect after 2008's production run? You know, cutting shit out to save money, but raising the price.

Hmm, that might be it. That'd be awesome if it were the case.

It's urgent because I've only got a week in business days to return it. I bought it in the UK for £749 - that's $1100+ so it made me panic when I got it back home.

Another thing it's got is a gray pearl binding on the headstock, which isn't on the Schecter site, and I've only seen one picture online of a C-1 Hellraiser with that binding in my colour (black) on the headstock. The rest have nothing on the headstock in black. (The '08 - '09 models)

redlol

Reaction score
if it looks and sounds good and plays good then it is good. dont worry if its a lil different from what the website says. its unique and will have its own character.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
My schecter is made in '07, and the serial is H0707745, so maybe the first 2 numbers are the year it was made in, so then yours must be '01, thats just a guess like

Found this after a quick search on the net. he was talking about a hellraiser. is your serial similar?

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
Found this after a quick search on the net. he was talking about a hellraiser. is your serial similar?

Yep, my one starts with H08 so it's an '08 model. It's definitely >07 because it's got EMG 81TW/89 with a coil tap on each pickup, a feature that was introduced in late 07/early 08.

All the videos I've seen on Youtube from 2008/2009 do not have the 24th fret inlay, and the black one's don't have a gray pearl binding on the headstock. This is so confusing.

I plan on callling Schecter USA as soon as it gets to office hours in the US so I can double check that I've got an original Schecter and not some knock off. This is the first time I'm complaining about getting more for less, but pf. I'd prefer to stick with the trend than be original when it comes to guitars.

if it looks and sounds good and plays good then it is good. dont worry if its a lil different from what the website says. its unique and will have its own character.

It's got an excellent finish and good tone, but it looks different. Compare this to the one in the image above. The frets seem to be smaller at the bottom than in the one above, and also you've got the extra inlay. (The quilted maple top finish looks darker because the above picture has heavy camera flash on it)

Sch%20C1%20Hell_LRG.jpg

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
Good call. You've got a week. Don't stress out too hard. If you're concerned about it, and don't have an answer by the end of the week, just return it, and get something else.

This also depends on whether the store will do full refunds or just store credit.

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
Good call. You've got a week. Don't stress out too hard. If you're concerned about it, and don't have an answer by the end of the week, just return it, and get something else.

This also depends on whether the store will do full refunds or just store credit.

As far as I know, they have some sort of a restocking fee. I'm so going to get shafted if I have to return it. Thanks for your help man, appreciate it.

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
I think its just the new models that are like that. My Hellraiser tempest from 06 has full abalone binding and all inlays (though its a 22 fret) and all the Schecters I tried at guitar center, considering they restock about once a decade, have 24th fret inlays and binding.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd keep it :shrug: it has nothing wrong with it.

I_infect

Reaction score
Not rare... my 09 models have the 24th fret inlay, though my 08 model does not. Not a big deal. Some of the older models had black circles within the inlays themselves.

Mine also have binding just about everywhere, both 08 and 09s.

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
I think its just the new models that are like that. My Hellraiser tempest from 06 has full abalone binding and all inlays (though its a 22 fret) and all the Schecters I tried at guitar center, considering they restock about once a decade, have 24th fret inlays and binding.

Mine is a 2008 model. Have a look at the official Schecter website, it stops with the inlays at the 19th fret. It has no binding on the headstock whatsoever, it's just plain. The logo is printed in white.

Mine has a silver bevelled logo with a gray pearl outline and a gray pearl binding on the headstock.

Compare these two, both 2008 Hellraiser models, both have NO FR.

2larex3.jpg

Not rare... my 09 models have the 24th fret inlay, though my 08 model does not. Not a big deal. Some of the older models had black circles within the inlays themselves.

What about the headstock? Bear in mind, mine doesn't have an FR. Maybe you have an FR model. The gray pearl binding on the hstock isn't supposed to be there on standard fixed bridge hellraisers but it is supposed to be there on the FR models.

I_infect

Reaction score
What about the headstock? Bear in mind, mine doesn't have an FR. Maybe you have an FR model. The gray pearl binding on the hstock isn't supposed to be there on standard fixed bridge hellraisers but it is supposed to be there on the FR models.

I own:

2) 09 hellraiser 7s
2) 09 hellraiser tempests
1) 08 hellraiser 7
2) 09 hellraiser 8s.

I have owned:

a ton of pre-08 schecter hellraisers.

All the new models have binding on the headstock. when they were putting in the 81/85 combo, it was more a black guitar, with body binding on the side of the body. When they changed to the 81tw/98 and 707tws, for some reason, they changed the bindings to the top of the guitars... headstocks etc. Again, no big deal.

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
I own:

2) 09 hellraiser 7s
2) 09 hellraiser tempests
1) 08 hellraiser 7
2) 09 hellraiser 8s.

I have owned:

a ton of pre-08 schecter hellraisers.

All the new models have binding on the headstock. when they were putting in the 81/85 combo, it was more a black guitar, with body binding on the side of the body. When they changed to the 81tw/98 and 707tws, for some reason, they changed the bindings to the top of the guitars... headstocks etc. Again, no big deal.

Why doesn't the 2009 model on the official site have a binding on the Hstock then?

EDIT: or the 2008 models on almost all guitar sites?