US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Anyone else feel like they're living through a period of time that will be in history textbooks 100 years from now (if we're all still here...)?

The 2020's have been genuinely nuts so far.
My worry is 100 years from now, textbooks will say "Chapter One: Intelligent design". Assuming we aren't blowed up good or runaway climated out of existence by then.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
My worry is 100 years from now, textbooks will say "Chapter One: Intelligent design". Assuming we aren't blowed up good or runaway climated out of existence by then.
"Chapter Two: 'Science'' Follies"
"Chapter Three: God of the Gaps" (Sponsored by Brawndo: It's what plants crave!)

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
But her EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Normally, if it's discovered that Top Secret documents have been handled improperly, whether criminally or just inadvertantly, there's a serious investigation into who might have had access to them in order to understand and deal with that risk.

18 months sitting in the basement of Mar-a-lago means that it's extremely likely that the FBI is going to want to have a long conversation with every single employee there and subpoena their personal financial records. Hell, Mar-a-lago's basement doesn't sound very secure. I don't think it would be unreasonable for the FBI to use this as a pretty valid excuse to look very closely into anyone who even visited Mar-a-lago. The MAGA folks of course will spin that as "see, this is a false flag operation that the Deep State is using to try to arrest Trump and anyone who supports him." Obviously BS, but if this was a strategic move by some Deep State conspiracy, you've got to hand it to them that it was a good move.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
One good thing about it being Espionage act, (granted take this with huge grain of salt I'm no expert)

But I've heard Snowden talk about it and basically if charged under Espionage Act you don't get chance to like testify in your own defense about motive or circumstances ect. So much harder to spin his nonsense if it did end up going down that path.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Normally, if it's discovered that Top Secret documents have been handled improperly, whether criminally or just inadvertantly, there's a serious investigation into who might have had access to them in order to understand and deal with that risk.

18 months sitting in the basement of Mar-a-lago means that it's extremely likely that the FBI is going to want to have a long conversation with every single employee there and subpoena their personal financial records. Hell, Mar-a-lago's basement doesn't sound very secure. I don't think it would be unreasonable for the FBI to use this as a pretty valid excuse to look very closely into anyone who even visited Mar-a-lago. The MAGA folks of course will spin that as "see, this is a false flag operation that the Deep State is using to try to arrest Trump and anyone who supports him." Obviously BS, but if this was a strategic move by some Deep State conspiracy, you've got to hand it to them that it was a good move.
..but it had an extra lock!
/sarcasm

Never underestimate stupid people in large numbers.

Of course, there was a motion for articles of impeachment against the head of the DOJ. It is amazing how supporting law will flip as soon as the law is not protecting the interests of the rich.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Isn't it just mind-blowing to consider how many people exist in the US that would defend someone who took steps to share classified information that might ultimately cause unspeakable harm or death to them and their families ( or would defend someone who already might have shared that information).

If that didn't make sense... I'm basically saying that it's absolutely nuts being able to equate this to handing someone your house-keys and personal info... whom you have never met and know little to nothing about... and saying "I've seen you on TV and you said stuff that I liked so if you ever want, just come over to visit without any notice. If I'm not home, no worries... my wife and children will probably be there. I know you're a good dude so I trust that you won't hurt my family nor lay waste to my home nor compromise any of my most personal information nor do anything to cause harm to our country."

"Oh and some people said that it's unsafe to give you access to everything that I own as well as that of my country... and obviously that really pissed me off when they said that so because they are suspicious of you causing me harm, Imma go threaten to kill them and their innocent family members because I trust you more than I trust anyone else. Oh, and those people saying that they're looking out for my safety are actually probably just out to get me because we disagree about some other stuff".

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Isn't it just mind-blowing to consider how many people exist in the US that would defend someone who took steps to share classified information that might ultimately cause unspeakable harm or death to them
Well, it's difficult enough for us to maintain the belief that not all of you are Ted Nugent. Trump isn't helping.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Well, it's difficult enough for us to maintain the belief that not all of you are Ted Nugent. Trump isn't helping.
The majority of us aren't. Sadly though, the trump-nuts are insanely vocal and visible and seem to have lots of time on their hands so they're the ones that you always see on the news and on social media. Th rest of us pretty much keep to ourselves and try to do the right thing for ourselves, our family, and our communities.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
There is an idiotic truck that drives around my neighborhood that perfectly illustrates that. I and others drive around quietly and nondescript in this little community, while this truck owner drives a big white (obviously) lifted (natch) diesel F350 (what else) with diesel stacks and two 6 foot long flags mounted on tall flagpoles in the bed. One is the American flag and the other is a flag that reads "Assholes live forever" I haven't seen the Trump 2024 sticker on it but I am going to assume it's there.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
1660424849741.png

Here's a horrible thought that I am ashamed to admit but it finally hit me. The Trump supporters and pro Russian anarchists have so sullied the American flag and it's meaning that it looks tacky to me. I used to think it an absolutely beautiful flag. But its association is tainted. Is there anyone else who has suffered a depreciation in the regard they hold for this symbol? I want my flag back.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite... Please tell me more

Shenanigans at the upper echelons of government.

We could do a 360 of finger pointing towards officials that have violated principles of handling various levels of classified materials (physical and digital...)

I've got a high level clearance; even as a senior NCO in the army if I lost chain of custody of documents that would be it for me; the power of networking outweighs checks and balances it seems.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
View attachment 112448

Here's a horrible thought that I am ashamed to admit but it finally hit me. The Trump supporters and pro Russian anarchists have so sullied the American flag and it's meaning that it looks tacky to me. I used to think it an absolutely beautiful flag. But its association is tainted. Is there anyone else who has suffered a depreciation in the regard they hold for this symbol? I want my flag back.

Not American but the truck protest we had in Canada this winter now anytime I see even a reasonable sized flag on a vehicle I just think "oh nice here comes an *sshole"

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
View attachment 112448

I fucking love the Rambo Trump pics, they all look like something Steve-O would have tattooed on himself in his partying days.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 112448

1.) The Trump Rambo flag was really popular in my neck of the woods for a while. One guy in particular had it in a plexiglass case on his lawn to make sure it wouldn't get defaced.

Worth noting all of them sun bleached in a couple months because I'm sure they're cheap sweatshop garbage befitting of the man.

2.) Yeah, I'm way way out on the flag. It legit just looks like a Trump campaign banner to me at this point. I wasn't ultra happy about the use of the flag during the "you're not a real Patriot" GWB middle east genocide boner, but thought the symbol of the flag had a quality resurgence when Obama came in. Son of an immigrant, biracial, single parent household, etc. Felt right.

Trump and his fucks dealt a heavy blow, and Biden's America hasn't been inspiring enough to bridge the gap yet. Shit like this didn't help either:

b22ae3001f142a69a0b671243386797f15-29-president-trump-american-flag-cpac-20.rsquare.w700.jpg

Riff the Road Dog

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I want my flag back.
Me too. I've said the exact same words many times now. Time to take it back.

When did this symbol of our country, supposedly protected by federal law from desecration, alteration, and improper disposal, become a dog whistle for far right nationalist nut jobs? And, not to be misconstrued as any kind of disrespect for law enforcement, bastardized by a black and grey version with one blue stripe in support of propaganda for any subsection of the population of this country?