US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Or …. We could just teach subject matter and leave wild political/gender ideology out of our classrooms.
That would stifle discussion altogether, which only serves to reinforce the norm. Besides, once upon a time the notion of teaching that "slavery is bad" would have been taken as an extremist point-of-view for a teacher, and some state governments will be damned if they're not actively and publicly trying to introduce a message into their schools that slavery had positive aspects, which is... just fucking insane.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
Not really a wild jump. The point i was trying to make is that there are good educators and bad educators, just like there are good parents and bad parents.
And bad educators are not always the typical boogieman example the right scares parents with (you know, the pink-haired liberal that teaches your kids ideas about there being more than 2 genders, pronouns, etc.). If you can live with extremist teachers that acknowledge these theories of multiple genders, you should also be able to live with the extreme opposite. Or …. We could just teach subject matter and leave wild political/gender ideology out of our classrooms.
All children are taught pronouns early on in their education. They're a really important part of almost every language.

There are a bunch of cultures with more than two genders but considering you probably don't even know what pronouns are I don't think this will help you.

Also your stupid post reminded me of this video and it's how I feel about you. This song is a banger tho.

Last edited:

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
All children are taught pronouns early on in their education. They're a really important part of almost every language.

There are a bunch of cultures with more than two genders but considering you probably don't even know what pronouns are I don't think this will help you.

Also your stupid post reminded me of this video and it's how I feel about you. This song is a banger tho.

I know what pronouns are. I learned this in English class when I was learning Ingles in middle school.

“he” is singular form for a human male
“she” is singular form for a human female
“It” is singular form for a thing/animal

Pretty simple.

tedtan

Reaction score
the pink-haired liberal that teaches your kids ideas about there being more than 2 genders, pronouns, etc.). If you can live with extremist teachers that acknowledge these theories of multiple genders, you should also be able to live with the extreme opposite. Or …. We could just teach subject matter and leave wild political/gender ideology out of our classrooms.
Teachers aren’t teaching this, though. They’re too busy teaching their students to pass standardized exams, which is what passes for education in the US, to have time to teach anything else.

Also, acknowledging “these theories” is quite different than teaching them.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Something that I would like to point out because it was mentioned earlier, that while everyone does go through shit growing up, I would argue that it's not exactly the same thing as people trying to live their lives how they prefer to see themselves. I have no skin in the game myself and I couldn't begin to imagine what LGBTQIA+ go through when they're discovering themselves and knowing that how society sees them isn't a reflection of how they feel about themselves and that for the most part, they can at least expect to be mocked, belittled, discounted, and sadly, end up murdered because of who they are. It's not 1 out of 100 parents that abuse their children for daring to verify themselves, it's much worse than that.

I won't pretend to speak for @Big Dumb Bitch but what I will say is this: if she's coming off as abrasive in her approach in this thread, maybe think about why that is. Imagine living in her skin, walking in her shoes. I have been through some shit in my life, abuse of several kinds from people who I thought loved me and yet, I can still be who I am freely. She doesn't have that luxury in MANY places. There aren't people trying to legislate my life into nothingness whereas there are states where it's illegal for her to even exist as she prefers and is most comfortable and even in the ones that aren't, she still has to worry about the crazed rando because let's face it, assholes are everywhere and these things are happening in the so-called "greatest nation in earth."

This is why I personally do not begrudge anyone going through what she and others like her, and other minorities, a little bit of venom on her bite. Would I prefer it that everyone gets along and she doesn't have to worry about this or any of my friends in my own personal life being berated or worse, absofuckinglutely. But we aren't there but I have an idea of how we could. Just take some time to reflect. Imagine that you couldn't be who you are meant to be. Drop the anecdotes, drop what you think you know, and for once, just listen. Don't just read or hear someone, actually listen.

Last edited:

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I know what pronouns are. I learned this in English class when I was learning Ingles in middle school.

“he” is singular form for a human male
“she” is singular form for a human female
“It” is singular form for a thing/animal

Pretty simple.
Now do

They
Them
Their
They’re

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
Something that I would like to point out because it was mentioned earlier, that while everyone does go through shit growing up, I would argue that it's not exactly the same thing as people trying to live their lives how they prefer to see themselves. I have no skin in the game myself and I couldn't begin to imagine what LGBTQIA+ go through when they're discovering themselves and knowing that how society sees them isn't a reflection of how they feel about themselves and that for the most part, they can at least expect to be mocked, belittled, discounted, and sadly, end up murdered because of who they are. It's not 1 out of 100 parents that abuse their children for daring to verify themselves, it's much worse than that.

I won't pretend to speak for @Big Dumb Bitch but what I will say is this: if she's coming off as abrasive in her approach in this thread, maybe think about why that is. Imagine living in her skin, walking in her shoes. I have been through some shit in my life, abuse of several kinds from people who I thought loved me and yet, I can still be who I am freely. She doesn't have that luxury in MANY places. There aren't people trying to legislate my life into nothingness whereas there are states where it's illegal for her to even exist as she prefers and is most comfortable and even in the ones that aren't, she still has to worry about the crazed rando because let's face it, assholes are everywhere and these things are happening in the so-called "greatest nation in earth."

This is why I personally do not begrudge anyone going through what she and others like her, and other minorities, a little bit of venom on her bite. Would I prefer it that everyone gets along and she doesn't have to worry about this or any of my friends in my own personal life being berated or worse, absofuckinglutely. But we aren't there but I have an idea of how we could. Just take some time to reflect. Imagine that you couldn't be who you are meant to be. Drop the anecdotes, drop what you think you know, and for once l, just listen. Don't just read or hear someone, actually listen.

I actually left work early today because some group of boomers decided to be shitty and transphobic to me and called me some very rude names because I wouldn't help them with something. I'm a vendor and I don't work for the store that we were in so it's not my job. All I said was "I don't work here so I'm not able to help you" because one of them was wearing a Trump hat and I don't help bigots or people who associate with them and they all lost their fucking minds. I'm legally entitled to a harassment free workplace and I'm in a union so I can leave when people make me feel unsafe or whatever and not worry about losing my job. The vast majority people like me don't have that luxury and just have to tolerate it and it's fucked up.

I live in a blue state but I'm next to a red state and every 6 months or so now people do something like this or threaten me or whatever when I'm just doing my job and minding my own business and not talking to anyone because occasionally someone who isn't nice clocks me. It doesn't happen near as often as it used to at the beginning of my transition but it makes existing in almost any public space unbelievably stressful and I genuinely worry about my safety almost every time I leave my house to go to work. Hopefully later this year after I get my FFS (facial feminization surgery) and get rid of the very few masculine facial features I have that can get me clocked I'll just be able to get left alone like everyone else. I'm literally having my face peeled off and having my bones shaved down and then having my face put back because I'm metal as fuck :cool:

The main reason that I'm not very nice to certain posters anymore is that I've explained so many things multiple times and they're either too stupid to understand them or willfully ignorant simply because trans people existing challenges their narrowed minded and wrong world view. Sucks to suck and be a braindead asshole but that's not my problem and I won't tolerate it lol

This happened today though and it's good news for all of the trans people and women in Maine :)

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
“Their” is an adjective, not a pronoun. They/Them pronouns I’m familiar with, they are plural. English is my 3rd language so feel free to correct me if I’m incorrect.
you are incorrect. Their is a posessive pronoun, and they/them/their are both plural and singular

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
There is plenty of precedent for first person singular "their" in amerikan english. For example, if you need to talk about someone you don't know the gender of, it would look like "what size truck nuts do they have?" or "I heard you showed them your truck nuts." or "their truck nuts are huge!" The ideologically charged position here is actually the one trying to refute the existence of gender-neutral pronouns.

Similarly, there is a wide variety of gender and sex expression both behaviorally and biologically speaking, there is nothing extreme (or new) about acknowledging this whether through language, biology, sociology, or whatever other school subject. You're welcome to think otherwise, but that's your opinion, not an evidence-based position. It's no different from schools teaching evolution. People are welcome to believe whatever they want, but what is taught in schools is the most current evidence-based knowledge.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Not really a wild jump.
Yes really a wild jump, and it continues to be wild that you don't think so.

There are checks and balances that exist in education systems that don't exist in the home. A bad teacher is reprimanded or fired. A bad parent is often applauded by their peers. These are not comparable. There's reason to believe a Nazi teacher is likely to lose their job. There's almost no reason to believe that the abusive parent of a trans kid would face any repercussions for the danger they put their own child in, because it's currently socially acceptable in a lot of circles to let a parent do their parenting in whatever manner they please, harmful or not.

Which is exactly the reason folks are against the idea of outing their kids to potentially dangerous situations. Jumping from "outing kids" to "I met a Nazi sympathizer once though" is an incredibly wild jump that serves to do nothing but distract from the meaningful parts of the conversation. "Some teachers are bad" is not the topic of conversation here.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Supreme Court with another abortion case on their bench.

Overturning Roe has manufactured a nonstop barrage of abortion cases for them to listen to. Feels like the opposite of the outcome you'd want if you're looking to set a major precedent.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
“Their” is an adjective, not a pronoun. They/Them pronouns I’m familiar with, they are plural. English is my 3rd language so feel free to correct me if I’m incorrect.

People with native languages that are very binary/gendered often find it difficult to understand that there exists gender-neutral pronouns and the modern concepts of gender. Spanish/Mexican is very binary and gendered. But Filipino, which has a lot of Spanish in it, is very gender neutral. This culture even have the words for transexuals before the Spanish colonizers came.

Only when the Judeo-Christian religions came to the islands that the concept of gender binary was forced down on the natives.

It is my experience that when the native language has natural non-binary words, the culture and the people tend to understand the concept of LGBTQ gender concepts better and are more accepting of LGBTQ people. But when their native language is very gendered, there seems to be proportionate violence and misunderstanding towards non-binary people.

While English has gender-neutral pronouns, using gender-neutral pronouns is a hard concept if your native language genders everything.

"If there is a word for it, it exists."

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
hate the guy if you want, but you can’t deny he is hilarious haha

Attachments

• IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 50

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Not really a wild jump. The point i was trying to make is that there are good educators and bad educators, just like there are good parents and bad parents.
And bad educators are not always the typical boogieman example the right scares parents with (you know, the pink-haired liberal that teaches your kids ideas about there being more than 2 genders, pronouns, etc.). If you can live with extremist teachers that acknowledge these theories of multiple genders, you should also be able to live with the extreme opposite. Or …. We could just teach subject matter and leave wild political/gender ideology out of our classrooms.

Wait so the two extremes in your mind are: literal Nazis and then on the other extreme...... trans people? what the actual fuck lol

hate the guy if you want, but you can’t deny he is hilarious haha

Trump has certainly said some hilarious things, but that is some cringy lowest common denominator boomer humor. 0/10

Do you also bust out laughing when you hear why the chicken crossed the road?

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
tis.gif

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
One thing that is interesting to me, is that over 20 years ago, as a young child being homeschooled in a Catholic, conservative home, even I was taught the actual/dictionary/textbook definition of the word gender, and how it is explicitly distinct from the word sex .. which is to say, gender has nothing to do with science or biology and is a purely social construct. This wasn't tied into trans matters or anything obviously, but it is humorous to watch the right trying to retcon and muddle basic dictionary definitions and basic rules of the English language because it doesn't line up with their transphobia and/or misogyny