Vik Duality 8 string run *CLOSED RUN*

• Thread starter JP Universe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vik
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I was in the SX semi-custom run and made a drunken post asking for an update and expressing that I was upset with the lack updates and transparency as we hadn't had one in over 2 months and the last shipping date we had was a within the month and Perry decided to cancel my order because of it and than kept several hundred dollars of what I had paid (paid in full) to cover transaction fees, which is very much not how refunds work. He still owes me money as far as I'm concerned.

He then sold off what would have been my guitar and said the person it was made for was a deadbeat, which is certainly an interesting framing.

All that being said, I think Ormsby is certainly a better bet to get a guitar than ViK, and even if Ormsby did happen to be some sort of raging bigot (to be very clear as I actually don't want to start drama, I am not in anyway suggesting that Ormsby is a bigot) he at least seems to keep that out of business.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I was in the SX semi-custom run and made a drunken post asking for an update and expressing that I was upset with the lack updates and transparency as we hadn't had one in over 2 months and the last shipping date we had was a within the month and Perry decided to cancel my order because of it and than kept several hundred dollars of what I had paid (paid in full) to cover transaction fees, which is very much not how refunds work. He still owes me money as far as I'm concerned.

He then sold off what would have been my guitar and said the person it was made for was a deadbeat, which is certainly an interesting framing.

All that being said, I think Ormsby is certainly a better bet to get a guitar than ViK, and even if Ormsby did happen to be some sort of raging bigot (to be very clear as I actually don't want to start drama, I am not in anyway suggesting that Ormsby is a bigot) he at least seems to keep that out of business.

Buyer beware. If you give Perry money, it's possible you won't get a guitar. And even if you do, it's probably going to be an Ormsby.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score

i had more or less the same experience with him

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score

What an absolute tool. TBF, back when I was on facebook, the ormsby group was some of the most brainwashed, and weirdo groups I was apart of. Everyone there damn near worshiped Perry Iike he was a guitar making god.

jco5055

Reaction score
What an absolute tool. TBF, back when I was on facebook, the ormsby group was some of the most brainwashed, and weirdo groups I was apart of. Everyone there damn near worshiped Perry Iike he was a guitar making god.
yeah, though I have noticed some of that seems to have been tempered a bit. I remember back in 2018 when I finally had a real job so I was interested in ordering my first custom, and when I asked online for suggestions there were soooo many Ormsby suggestions. I definitely feel that if asked that question now Ormsby would maybe not even be suggested.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Something doesn't add up with Ormsby just cancelling your order. What exactly did you say to them and why?

Wait, wait, wait. They're Australian. Now I totally can see that happening. Still curious, though.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Well, I still have the screenshots I took back then as I don't clear out my hard drive space as often as I should, but they have the names of people other than Ormsby and myself, and I'm far too lazy to black them out so: (anything in quotation marks is verbatim from the screen shots)

I asked if there were any updates in the over 2 months since we had had one

The group moderator? (Guy who talked for Perry when Perry was busy doing other stuff?) said No but there should be more progress when Pez (sic) is back from his well earned holiday. The timeline of the last update was down played to a few weeks.

I mentioned that you mean months?

The GTRs were brought up for some reason I am still unsure of to this day.

I said I don't give a fuck about the GTRs. Aside from our guitars costing significantly more our run started before they were announced.

I then said, "I think Perry is well deserving of a holiday. The guy clearly works hard, and makes enough money to enjoy his life. But...he is leaving us hanging here in the middle of a run. We started paying for these guitars well over a year ago. This isn't my first run or my straight up first custom (It wasn't a custom and the phrasing is poor, but hey I was drunk). But it has taken the longest amount of time from money first paid to finished product, with the *LEAST* amount of updates during that time.

I kept hearing about the legendary Ormsby updates during runs. It was part of why I was so willing to buy into this run. I guess I am just pretty upset that I don't feel like we have been getting that follow though. Maybe Perry will come back from holiday and just destroy everything. And that would be cool.

But it wouldn't erase the fact that Perry said the guitars would be finished in 4-8 weeks back in March (It was the end of June when I made my post). Or that we could expect updates, 'This Week,' multiple times, with no updates then forthcoming.

Too (sic) my knowledge, this is the most expensive run Ormsby has offered in recent years, yet we seem to be getting the least amount of service and follow though.

I'm am upset. Really upset actually.

I am sure that Perry will still deliver a completely soul rending guitar but I would have hoped for *FAR* more openness and transparency in the run.

I am also sure that Perry will have some epic post with some awesome updates that makes me look like a fucking tool. And I am more than okay with that, as long as we get an update or something."

Mod-ish duder says no worries and he doesn't have anything more to offer, which is fair enough. He wasn't getting paid or anything as far as I'm aware.

I said, "Like I said, I am sure Perry will make me look like a complete fucking asshole soon enough. Hahahah. He has a way of doing that."

I wake up the next morning to this response from Perry:

"Not even going to bother reading this. When I get back on the 8th I'll look into how much you've paid and give you a full refund."

I respond, "If that's what you want to do. I Can't force you to make my guitar. :( "

And he did. But felt entitled to keep the fees.

It stands out to me as it is still to this is the only bad experience I've had with custom guitars and I have more than a handful at this point.

I did turn the refund into an entirely custom 7 string Jillard though. So, I reckon I won in the end.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
What??? I thought ormsby was supposed to be one of the good ones?? Doesn't the fear factory guy and that YouTube dude have endorsement deals and sig models?

oracles

Reaction score
What??? I thought ormsby was supposed to be one of the good ones?? Doesn't the fear factory guy and that YouTube dude have endorsement deals and sig models?

Ormsby has always been a chode. He surrounds himself with yes men and lives in this internet echo chamber where he's never wrong, his guitars are the greatest (they're not, the GTRs are consistently better than his CS builds Ive played) and anyone should be grateful he decided to do something for them. His fanbase is just as bad, if not worse than the Kiesel hype crowd.

Ormsby still owes people full CS builds from 2015ish when he was doing annual themed runs.

Endorsements also aren't always a great way to gauge reputation of a luthier either, hell, a lot of the guys who got scammed by ViK in this thread bought one off an "endorsement", same as Daemoness, and too many others.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
Ormsby has always been a chode. He surrounds himself with yes men and lives in this internet echo chamber where he's never wrong, his guitars are the greatest (they're not, the GTRs are consistently better than his CS builds Ive played) and anyone should be grateful he decided to do something for them. His fanbase is just as bad, if not worse than the Kiesel hype crowd.

Ormsby still owes people full CS builds from 2015ish when he was doing annual themed runs.

Endorsements also aren't always a great way to gauge reputation of a luthier either, hell, a lot of the guys who got scammed by ViK in this thread bought one off an "endorsement", same as Daemoness, and too many others.
That sounds like Jeffrey Keisel

Slaeyer

Reaction score

I also had my share of negative experience with Perry. I ordered one of the few in stock guitars from one of the first runs from an australien dealer. That was long before ormsby had any distributor in europe...
The guitar was okayish at best... Lots of issues with the routings, dust in the finish, the nut being too shallow and the pickups creating crazy feedback at minimum gain. Perry offered to at least pay for having the pickups wax potted... In the end the ghosted me without paying for wax potting. I really loved that guitar, but the man himself is a total douche

mehegama

Reaction score
Genuine question: Is any of the forum hyped luthiers not a douche? The list of posts with complaints is way bigger than the positive ones, for many of those

Edika

Reaction score
In general, Perry's responses show that he's a massive asshole. Anything else than literally gargling his balls in praise is met with rude responses and a condescending attitude. A guy posted on his page about his Ormsby having chuncks of the poly falling off around the pickups. He seemed to have installed pickups rings (not sure why but he did) and he was lambasted from everyone along with douchelord himself about overtightening the screws on the pickup rings. Especially Perry was rude af. Unless you're the effin Hulk or the poly is shit, that amount of chpping doesn't make any sense.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Genuine question: Is any of the forum hyped luthiers not a douche? The list of posts with complaints is way bigger than the positive ones, for many of those

That's just how it's always been. Just now you hear about it more thanks to the internet.

Maybe <15% of builders last more than five years without significant issues, and probably <10% make it past a decade. It would be generous to say 1% operate long enough to viewed as genuinely safe and significantly established.

It's a dynamic thing. A builder will be fine for a while, but the economics of it are thin, so you have to grind and grind and that usually catches up to folks eventually.