What are you listening to?

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score

when is that dude going to stop being a slut and pick a brand

also this makes me miss the helix nebula, because out of all these nu-prog-shredster bands they were the most throw down metal of the bunch

Also that drop D and D standard are good tunings dude

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Protestant gear ethic

Also listened to Idividual Thought Patterns today and I think primarily going for Symbolic or Human when I needed a Chuck fix was a mistake. So many huge af riffs
Leprosy and Spiritual Healing have always been my personal favorites. Honestly everything that isn't Scream Bloody Gore is pretty damn great.

Descendant

Reaction score
Leprosy and Spiritual Healing have always been my personal favorites. Honestly everything that isn't Scream Bloody Gore is pretty damn great.

I appreciate Scream Bloody Gore because it was super raw sounding and pretty different for it's time. One thing I love even more about Death is that every album had a layer of progression from the last one, to the point that TSoP and SBG just sound like two completely different bands. I don't think people talk about Spiritual Healing or ITP enough though.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Any bands that sound like Death? (ITP, Symbolic)

Tough question. While every single dm band to come after Death's early albums were influenced by them there's only a few I think are pure distillations of the mid-late Death sound

Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds and Polarity

If you can get on with Bill's more guttural vocals Matt's riffs and leads are very reminiscent of Chuck's style. And Time Begins and Axis Mundi are decidedly more Suffocation/brutal influenced.

Gruesome - Fragments of Psyche

Only a short EP but they really tried to go for the Human/ITP sound. The rest of their discography is pure Leprosy/Spiritual healing worship (and less interesting to me)

Dark Matter Secret - Perfect World Creation

Instrumental album very reminiscent of Cynic and ITP/Symbolic

Cynic - Focus and '91 demo
You probably know this. Duh. The yin to ITP's yang

By extension: Exivious - Chrysalis - The Early Demos

Atheist - Piece of Time, Unquestionable Presence, Elements

Can't talk about prog Florida death metal without peeping Kelly and crew.

Defeated Sanity - Dharmata

Half of their double EP. Explicitly constructed from the ground up to be a tribute to early progressive/technical death metal. Featuring Max Phelps from Gruesome on vocals.

Martyr - Hopless Hopes, Warp Zone, Feeding the Abscess

Gorguts - Considered Dead

Canada bois. While they went on to do their own thing and be hugely influential themselves Martyr and early Gorguts are very close to Death

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I appreciate Scream Bloody Gore because it was super raw sounding and pretty different for it's time. One thing I love even more about Death is that every album had a layer of progression from the last one, to the point that TSoP and SBG just sound like two completely different bands. I don't think people talk about Spiritual Healing or ITP enough though.

My favorite Death album being TSOP I look out for mentions and the entire rest of the world decided that the first 3 are the only death albums worth talking about. Meanwhile TSOP is just sitting there being a masterpiece. It rules soooo much, lol.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Do a Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock's "It Takes Two" cover but instead it can be add "It takes two to make a pit go right"
Yeah that would be pretty funny.
I was also thinking of doing Quad City DJ's Cmon n Ride it and Pointer Sisters' I'm So excited.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Tough question. While every single dm band to come after Death's early albums were influenced by them there's only a few I think are pure distillations of the mid-late Death sound

Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds and Polarity

If you can get on with Bill's more guttural vocals Matt's riffs and leads are very reminiscent of Chuck's style. And Time Begins and Axis Mundi are decidedly more Suffocation/brutal influenced.

Gruesome - Fragments of Psyche

Only a short EP but they really tried to go for the Human/ITP sound. The rest of their discography is pure Leprosy/Spiritual healing worship (and less interesting to me)

Dark Matter Secret - Perfect World Creation

Instrumental album very reminiscent of Cynic and ITP/Symbolic

Cynic - Focus and '91 demo
You probably know this. Duh. The yin to ITP's yang

By extension: Exivious - Chrysalis - The Early Demos

Atheist - Piece of Time, Unquestionable Presence, Elements

Can't talk about prog Florida death metal without peeping Kelly and crew.

Defeated Sanity - Dharmata

Half of their double EP. Explicitly constructed from the ground up to be a tribute to early progressive/technical death metal. Featuring Max Phelps from Gruesome on vocals.

Martyr - Hopless Hopes, Warp Zone, Feeding the Abscess

Gorguts - Considered Dead

Canada bois. While they went on to do their own thing and be hugely influential themselves Martyr and early Gorguts are very close to Death
Thanks. The dude at the beginning of Roger Corman's film adaption of The Masque of the Red Death seems like an influence for the Scream Bloody Gore album cover.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
PSIORB's YouTube videos, Meshuggah's Obzen, and the last couple Check The Distortion releases.