What band or musician got you into guitar?

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
sorry if there is already a thread about this but thought it would be a fun question to ask. What band made you wanna pick up a guitar? for me it was Coheed and Cambria, the first time I heard them I fell in love with their music and wanted to shred like Claudio. . . also the reason I love explorers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Coming of age in the 90's I couldnt escape Pantera, Metallica & Sepultura. Especially because I had an older brother that was listening to it.

Dimebag & Kirk Hammett were definitely my 1st major influences though

Lifestalker

Reaction score
Not even going to lie; Michael Jackson.

Edit: Thread title says band or musician. And the body says "What band made you want to pick up guitar?" In that case, Metallica. The black album to be exact. It's the very first heavy album I ever heard and it made me want to pick up a guitar and shred that mofo til it starts smoking.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
My family moved to Seattle in 1989, so naturally my first influences were Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains. But Metallica and G'n'R hit me at basically the exact same time as well:hbang:

riffer_madness

Reaction score
Coming of age in the 90's I couldnt escape Pantera, Metallica & Sepultura. Especially because I had an older brother that was listening to it.

Dimebag & Kirk Hammett were definitely my 1st major influences though

What happened to Kirk Hammett? Enjoyed his stuff immensely up until the black album (unforgiven solo is his last good solo and it is a beast). He sounds like junk live now and doesn't even play the solos correctly anymore. I'm all for a little improv but he just seems so bush league now.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
System of a Down, Petrucci (and failed miserably trying to play Voices at my first day with the guitar) and probably Green Day

riffer_madness

Reaction score
My family moved to Seattle in 1989, so naturally my first influences were Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains. But Metallica and G'n'R hit me at basically the exact same time as well:hbang:

Seattle!! :hbang: Born and raised there. Miss it real bad.

Had an awesome music scene out there in 1989 (I was a senior in high school). Tad. The Melvins, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Motherlovebone, Fugazi... And of course many others including Grunt Truck and the big big ones you already listed. Let me know if you have a room for rent! Ha! Home!!!!!

fassaction

Reaction score
Rage Against the Machine. I remember at the ripe age of 12 my cousin gave me a dubbed copy of their self titled album. The quality was crap because he had taped over that cassette a bunch of times before, but it didnt matter.

I remember the first time I heard "Freedom" and it was at that moment i discovered heavier music. I mean, I had always enjoyed Metallica and Iron Maiden because my pops liked them, but this was the first band that sparked my interest without any outside influence.

I picked up the guitar at 13, and never looked back. I learned that album cover to cover from the "official" tab book that I got for christmas one year.

revclay

Reaction score
Smashing Pumpkins. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was the soundtrack to my adolescence and really got me into guitar driven music in general. And I think the first songbook I purchased was the one for Siamese Dream. I still remember hacking my through Mayonaise as an angsty, heartbroken 14 year old, hahaha.

Leveebreaks

Dooooooooom
Reaction score
Sacred Reich's Surf Nicaragua, Black Flag and Dead Kennedys first, then Ride The Lightning, and finally Bill Steer. I still try and emulate Bill now, I wish I could say the same about poor old Kirk Hammett.

celticelk

Reaction score
The tipping point for me was Metallica's Black Album, which was released just before my senior year of high school. Things had been building in that direction, though, starting in '87 or so: Whitesnake, Living Colour, GnR, "One", Vai, Satriani....

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
I'd have to say it was a combination of Randy, Brad Gillis, and yes, Mick Mars. I was about nine years old and had gotten Blizzard, Diary, and Speak of the Devil through the old Columbia House deal where you could get 10 albums or cassettes for a penny and then they would screw you by sending whatever crap album of the month was and charge you if you didn't mail the card back saying you didn't want it. I LOVED those albums, SotD for some reason really spoke to me as I really dug all the old Sabbath songs and I can still remember walking around with my old tape recorder blaring that tape through the crappy little speaker. Then a year or so later, Motley Crue hit MTV - I still remember evenings with my mom and dad sitting in the living room watching the videos back then and when Looks That Kill hit with Mick and Nikki with those BC Rich's, it was over and that year for Christmas I got my first guitar, a Roadstar II.

Cnev

Reaction score
Slayer's Raining Blood and Morbid Angel's God of Emptiness. OMMGGZZZ MUST LEARN PALM MUTEZ!!!! I felt like such a badass when I first perfectly executed an open e palm mute.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Green Day.

61111-DrCox-deal-with-it-gif-scrubs-XgR3.gif

Also a random mix of classic rock and Metallica