What band or musician got you into guitar?

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
Gotta throw in AC/DC. I was 12 or 13 and my older brother had all of these albums that I just didn't understand... Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC... one day I found a cassette tape of Highway to hell; put it in the cassette player, threw on the headphones, hit play and KABAM! Angus Young/Malcolm Young! it was awesome!!! "I'm gonna walk all over you..."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Alexi and Roope's cover of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I saw that video and I instantly went to try and practice guitar so I could get good enough to play that!

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Seattle!! :hbang: Born and raised there. Miss it real bad.

Had an awesome music scene out there in 1989 (I was a senior in high school). Tad. The Melvins, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Motherlovebone, Fugazi... And of course many others including Grunt Truck and the big big ones you already listed. Let me know if you have a room for rent! Ha! Home!!!!!

Yeah, I still love pretty much every band you mentioned (I saw Mudhoney not too long ago). I was in 3rd grade when we moved here, so there was pretty much no chance I was gonna hear much of the more underground stuff til much later. As far as a room for rent, between all the gear I buy and the stupid shit I do, I don't think I could convince the wife on that one:lol:

riffer_madness

Reaction score
Yeah, I still love pretty much every band you mentioned (I saw Mudhoney not too long ago). I was in 3rd grade when we moved here, so there was pretty much no chance I was gonna hear much of the more underground stuff til much later. As far as a room for rent, between all the gear I buy and the stupid shit I do, I don't think I could convince the wife on that one:lol:

Fair enough. Go get some jerky at the market in my honor tho k!

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Started out with stuff like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, and Smashing Pumpkins, but then I heard KoRn, Fear Factory, and Coal Chamber and got into the heavier side of things.

SjPedro

Reaction score
to me it was Pink Floyd...
I was about 3 years old when my dad got me hooked on the album "Wish You Were Here" and "The Wall"
I remember watching the Roger Waters' "The Wall" 1990 Berlin concert on TV (too little to understand the historic significance of that show) to this day remains one of my absolute favorite live performances!
My parents recorded it on our VCR and I used to mimic the guitar players using a toy guitar. watched the show twice as much as I watched my looney tunes cartoons...and that's a lot :lol:

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
its AC/DC for me too.
My dad has a wicked vinyl collection, but for a long time we didn't have a record player. One day, when I was 9 (I'm 22 now) he decided to buy one and the first thing he picked up to play was back in black.

I dare say my life has never been the same.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
its AC/DC for me too.
My dad has a wicked vinyl collection, but for a long time we didn't have a record player. One day, when I was 9 (I'm 22 now) he decided to buy one and the first thing he picked up to play was back in black.

I dare say my life has never been the same.

Oh man! To go back and hear that album again for the first time...

EXISTENTIAL JOY

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Weird, for me it had nothing to do with a band that I liked. I was playing piano, and then I was like, I want to learn a different instrument. So guitar then. It was like, I didn't think about it. I don't think I knew any other instruments, actually lol. Anyone else? I mean, I knew what drums and bass were, but in my young mind you couldn't 'play a song' on the drums or bass. They were just things to help along guitars and pianos. I guess in someways even now I still sort of have this mentality towards them.

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
1st was metallica and james, i didnt think you could get any more heavy the i heard fn Pantera and dimes playing just blew me away as a kid so i told my dad i want a guitar i have a letter from like 3rd grade wanting a guitar from santa lol. Pantera got me into heavy stuff slayer, morbid angel, ect then got to high school and slipknot came out loved that shit but pantera has and will always been my fav hell i got a cfh tattoo when dime died. Now that getting old almost 30 damn! I find that stuff i heard when i was young like pink floyd, neil young, skynard, elvis, stones, doors, coming out in my playing. But dimebag is why i got a guitar, is why i wanted a guitar, and is why i wanted to play solos

pullingstraws

Reaction score
Rage Against the Machine, Death, and Lamb of God.

I first started playing when I took a guitar class at my high school. I wasn't really into any bands before I started playing. I started to really get into music as my playing advanced little by little. Then me and two friends of mine(a drummer and a another guitarist) started listening to Lamb of God, and tried learning some songs so we could play them together. That really helped advance our playing.

inaudio

Hack Fraud
Reaction score
I spent most of my youth thinking that I was nowhere near cool enough to play guitar. This video pretty much changed the game for me:

(Seriously though, Daron Malakian was my first real guitar hero.)

Oneirokritikos

Reaction score
Dire Straits - i remember exactly how seeing Mark Knopfler execute a simple pull-off on the VHS "Alchemy" seemed so downright magical to me at the time that I just had to learn guitar to explain this sorcery :lol: