What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Going to see Tool next month. Almost passed on it because it is so fucking expensive, but I have never seen them live and they're one of my favorite bands. It also always feels like they're on the brink of a breakup :lol: so that adds to the fomo.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I was just talking about this with someone over the weekend. I cannot fathom people going to a show to have a conversation. Either sing the words, scream "yeah" or "woo" at the appropriate times, or shut the fuck up.
Yeah it's incredibly annoying, and Dutch crowds are apparently well known for it, it happens alllll the time but that time it was really bad.

ChrispyFinch

Reaction score
Just saw Tesseract, Intervals, and Alluvial a weekend ago.
The venue is always insanely loud and the subs are spaced wierd so there is 1 strip in the middle where it sounds fine.
Show was meh, honestly. I went in blind on Tesseracts new album and the new songs i could pick out were slammin' live.

I must just be getting old, but forced encores are just the worst imo. Dont play like you're leaving, and waste peoples time. </rant>

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Parkway Drive was sweet. Helluva show. The sound for the other three bands had no mids/couldn’t hear any actual guitar, though.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
I saw Gorguts and Mayhem and Cannibal Corpse last night. I missed Blood Incantation because I was at work. Gorguts was dope. Mayhem is fucking boring and the only redeeming feature of that band is that Atilla has some really cool vocals. Cannibal Corpse was good and fun. I've somehow never seen them before and it was cool to watch Alex Webster play bass because he's one of my favorites and Georges neck is even more impressive in person lol it's ridiculous

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Just saw Entheos and Revocation last night. High Command opened after the locals we unfortunately missed and was not my thing at all. Swords and recycled thrash riffs don’t do it for me. Entheos was tight, Revocation was awesome even with the Santana-style guitar faces. Both bands’ drummers are so sick. I could only make it through a couple Unearth songs, their sound was mush and the banter was corny IMO. They also took like 40 minutes to change over and line check.

Anectine_Matt

Reaction score
Just saw Archspire and hooooly fuck they were incredible. Just jaw dropping musicianship throughout, unbelievably tight as a unit, that's got to have been the most technically impressive show I've ever seen. The dudes are funny as hell too, they got people on stage to drink beer out of shoes and split the crowd up so people could play a game of Twister before being consumed by a wall of death. Just an insanely talented group of guys.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Going to see Pat Metheny for a second time in Portland next month. The last time was in 2021. A good time had by all!

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I have tickets to see Watain two nights in a row in two weeks at their sold out 25th anniversary show in Uppsala. A good friend of mine is flying in from NYC as well, so it will be a great time.

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Went to the Polyphia show on Friday, it was pretty great! Pleasantly surprised at how much 8-string material they worked into the set, and they covered a decent mix of old to new material (they hit all but one of the songs of The Worst EP, which was super sweet!). My one complaint was that they only covered 3 songs off of NLND, and I was hoping that they'd at least play Drown or Saucy. Still, good show, and they had a lot more stage presence than I would have guessed.

The opener (Domi and JD Beck) didn't do as much for me. I like jazz decently enough, and they certainly had some crazy chops, but I felt like compositionally they didn't have any super strong songs. It was more of a jam session/excuse to show off all their playing prowess. Still, thought the drummer was super tasteful in his fills. That was cool.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
When to Alkaloid yesterday. in a art church (super small sort of art gallery) where they play a half hour set including something form Bach (Harpsichord concerto No 1 in D minor I guess..?)

Anyway it was a super weird setting, not much people, no lighting or whatever just the band playing. It was super cool! And I had the change to chat with Christian, wat was super nice.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
When to Alkaloid yesterday. in a art church (super small sort of art gallery) where they play a half hour set including something form Bach (Harpsichord concerto No 1 in D minor I guess..?)

Anyway it was a super weird setting, not much people, no lighting or whatever just the band playing. It was super cool! And I had the change to chat with Christian, wat was super nice.

They posted something about that Bach-thing the other day:

Anyway, sounds cool.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
They posted something about that Bach-thing the other day:

Anyway, sounds cool.

I like that there are starting to be a few bands, here or there, doing more than just ganking sick fills from classical and just going all out with a full-blown classical arrangement. Pretty damned cool.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
I saw Uada with Ghost Bath recently, that was a pretty killer show. I'm a big fan of both, though I think Ghost Bath had substantially better mixing and that translated to a more enjoyable set.

I'm seeing Ne Obliviscaris, Beyond Creation, Inferi and Meshuggah within the next month or so, so I'm pretty pumped about that. Only one I haven't seen before is Meshuggah, though I expect it to be a solid display of Meshuggah meshuggah-ing.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I saw Uada with Ghost Bath recently, that was a pretty killer show. I'm a big fan of both, though I think Ghost Bath had substantially better mixing and that translated to a more enjoyable set.

I'm seeing Ne Obliviscaris, Beyond Creation, Inferi and Meshuggah within the next month or so, so I'm pretty pumped about that. Only one I haven't seen before is Meshuggah, though I expect it to be a solid display of Meshuggah meshuggah-ing.

I think that B.C. show is a day or two before Boston, and I'm pissed it sold out, I kept meaning to buy tickets and would forget. I'd love if they just upgraded it to the sister venue down the street that holds 1.5x more people so they can release more tickets, but probably wont happen.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Ah yeah, I saw Folkrim live on Saturday. It was a fun show, they sounded a fair bit better live than on their recordings. I just wish they'd have a keyboard player, it kinda bothers me that many of their songs are based around melodies played by various folk instruments and all those are on backing tracks.