What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I saw Alestorm a few weeks ago. That was good fun. They're like somewhere between Folk metal and good old fashioned party hard rock like Andrew WK's first album or something. "Fucked with an Anchor" is their big anthem, and it's fantastic. The stage had a gigantic rubber duck overseeing everything, the guys were all dressed up like they were going to the beach, and the audience was loaded with pirate costumes (when we arrived a very cranky security guard was screaming over and over NO SWORDS! YOU HAVE TO LEAVE YOUR SWORDS OUTSIDE!!!).

Yeah, Alestorm are super fun live, and pretty tight too these days. Their guitarist Maté in particular is just way too good for the band, but then he does also play some pretty nice shreddy solos here and there. I think I've seen them like 5 times now, and they just never disappoint.
Last time they even pulled out the epic and long Death Throes of the Terror Squid song, which IMO is their best song and I never expected to hear it live. They've got so many "hits", you'd imagine they wouldn't have space for a 10+ minute deep cut, but they did. (correction: it's only just under 8 minutes, but still)

I'll be seeing them again next summer because they're coming to Tuska :lol: Not specifically going there for them, but they happen to play on the same day as Dimmu Borgir so I'll be catching them as well. Should be a pretty good start to the weekend, as they're on at something like 5pm on Friday.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
The HIRS Collective is coming back to my podunk-ass town, which is exciting on its own, but my band gets to open for them which is double exciting. Very stoked.

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
Finally saw Periphery for the first time in Asheville along with Eidola. Epic show. Sleep Token played the same night there as well. Shame they didn’t play 1 day apart. Would have loved to see them both.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got a lawn seat ticket for Slipknot for 25 bucks. So that makes Sleep Token, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Slipknot. I am excitebike.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
SWANS is playing here this week, and it's just all new material that I give zero fucks about; playing something from White Light from the Mouth of Infinity and let me be sad in the corner with everyone man, we don't care about The Seer.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry to revive this old post but I've been a fan of theirs for ages. Saw them twice live in NYC. How did you like the show? I was surprisingly disappointed as Lisa Gerrard just couldn't sing high notes anymore, everything she sang was duller and an octave or so down from the recorded albums. Brendan Perry was fine however. I was also seriously ticked off that they cut the length of "The Host of Seraphim" live.
Funny you should ask...
The show was cancelled!
I also had tix for Smashing Pumpkins and Jane's Addiction for November 2022 and that was also cancelled, "due to laryngitis", officially.
I guess they all saved me ~$250, at least.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Vai and Satriani on Caturday!
Show was pretty badass. Vai’s lead tone is just too good. Cuts through everything but never shrill or piercing. I’m so stoked he played Building the Church! He played it on a black Pia. Favourite guitar is still Bo, though. Looks so badass when it reflects the spotlights.

For the Love of God was better than G3 in February. Daaaang was it killer.

I really dig Satriani’s Sahara. He just cruised through a lot of his well known material one after the other. I still think it’s weird that the keyboardist is so far away.

Jams were the worst part. Kind of wanted to leave after they played Sea of Emotion. That was a lot of notes (and fuck Enter Sandman).

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
On the fence about seeing Dying Fetus next weekend. I've seen them tons of times but it's been a while. I really liked their most recent album as well. I'm just getting a little burnt out on shows. I'm glad they're back but there are so many lol. I've got my calendar loaded with shows for the whole year and I imagine there are a ton yet to be announced.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
On the fence about seeing Dying Fetus next weekend. I've seen them tons of times but it's been a while. I really liked their most recent album as well. I'm just getting a little burnt out on shows. I'm glad they're back but there are so many lol. I've got my calendar loaded with shows for the whole year and I imagine there are a ton yet to be announced.

Yeah but John has hair now so it's a new experience.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Sat Armored Saint and Queensryche Saturday night, great sets by both bands but I’m not big on AS. Ryche killed it as usual, doing the EP and the Warning albums in their entirety.

Last night I saw Intervals and Mammoth (Wolfgang Van Halen) and it was a great show as well. Intervals isn’t really my thing, I bailed on instrumental guitar music over a decade ago and the that particular style of it isn’t bringing me back any time soon, but Aaron does a good job working the crowd and I was really stoked to hear them get such a great crowd response. About 1000 people there and they were entertained!

Wolf is the real deal. Much heavier than what you get on the albums, it was like a Fooshuggah show. At one point I think they did played a little bit of “Bleed” No clicks, no backing tracks, just 5 guys delivering it old school, real amps and just great FOH guys who were on it the whole night. Best live vocal mix I’ve ever heard.

neurosis

Reaction score
I've been overwhelmed with work so the other day I finally had a break and went to see The Black Crowes. I thought the show was great but sad to see how passive the crowd was. I have come to the conclusion that shows in the US are just different.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Got to see Periphery in Nashville last night (5th or 6th time seeing them over the years) and they were a lot of fun to see as usual.

Killer setlist, and the synth break in the middle of the set was cool as well.

manu80

Reaction score
Cannibal corpse/ municipal waste and immolation
and the last tour ofSepultura (couldn't go because of family matters in 1996 (97?) before they split so the circle is done) and Obituary are opening so.... ;) )

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm planning to go see Artillery this summer.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just saw that 1349 and Spectral Wound are playing in Cambridge next week so I’m trying to see if I can con my non black metal friends to check it out.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
Seeing Periphery live for the first time Thursday, pretty stoked!
I just back from seeing Periphery tonight. They were fucking great. Eidola was fucking awesome as well. I think I enjoyed them as much as Periphery, maybe a bit more even.

Latest posts