What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aynirar27

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dang so Brendon Small/Dethklok was no good? An off night or just not a good show?

Maybe I just wasn’t a big enough fan of the show? Basically the stage was pitch black so you could only see slight silhouettes of the people playing, and they made cartoon videos to go with each song that played behind them.

They sounded great but it didn’t really feel like a concert. Felt more like watching a movie.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Both times I saw Dethklok they were amazing, but they sort of split focus at those shows in the early days, not keeping the stage very dark. Plus, at one of them I was on the barricade so you couldn't help but pay attention to the band.

DestroyMankind

Reaction score
Saw Incantation with Suffocation, Skeletal Remains and Stabbing a few hours ago. It was definitely an unique show. Suffocation's singer didn't sing due to having steep, so the singer of Stabbing filled in for about half the songs. The other half of the songs the band played as instrumentals. Huge respect to her for stepping in for Suffocation. That has to be nerve racking like no tomorrow.
It was a great show, but I gotta say I think Skeletal Remains is my favorite "new old school death metal band." I've been a fan of them for quite a few years and this was my first time seeing them live. The newer bands who are blowing up need to take some pointers from those guys. They fucking slayed live.

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
Saw Standards, Strawberry Girls, and Plini last night. What an epic show. I’m glad I got to see Plini live at least once before I die haha

Dudley

Reaction score
Saw tricot a few nights ago. Stunningly good. One of the best drummers I’ve ever seen live, but really the whole band is massively talented.

Definitely not the standard fare for this forum, but well worth dipping in to their discography if anyone has the inclination to listen to some technical yet catchy Japanese math-rock.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Cavalera Conspiracy in Paris

Oh man, would absolutely love to see that. To me, that's the real Sepultura, and I blasted their Inflikted-album so damned much when it came out. It was the same year I got my drivers license, so I was driving my friends all over the place in my mom's Volvo estate (to shows and other random shenanigans), and at some point it turned into "can you give me a ride to place X but without Inflikted" :lol:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Saw Tool last night. They are absolutely incredible live. However, the setlist was a bit strange. It started out with a bang. Really cool first half of the show. Opened with Fear Inocculum, then Jambi followed by Rosetta Stoned (!!!!). But the songs began to mellow out and be a bit more on the drawn out side of things right after the intermission. Chocolate Chip Trip, Culling Voices, Invincible... it was extremely well produced and both visually and sonically striking, and I do like the music, but I feel like some people were kinda falling asleep to that and lowered the energy they had when they started.

They closed with Maynard singing happy birthday to Justin, yelling out "peace out bitches" to the crowd, and playing 46&2. Was hoping they'd play Aenema instead, but I don't complain. They haven't been doing encores at all it seems, but then again, it's Tool so weird shit is expected I guess.

By the end of Jambi I was all "this has to be the best show I've ever been to", and that carried out until we went to the intermission right after having listened to The Grudge. That sentiment started to fade slowly as we listened to Chocolate Chip Trip followed by more psychedelic trips and people falling asleep. Production value and sound quality NEVER dropped though; truly delightful for all senses.

Also, weird sidenote, after Fear Inocculum, Maynard asked everyone to put their phones away in his usual sarcastic style. Funnily enough, EVERYONE put it away for the entire show. I probably only saw like 2 or 3 phones the entire time, and we had a pretty good view of the whole crowd from our seat. Kinda crazy how much control of the crowd he had.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Going to Ulcerate in Syracuse tonight, pretty pumped they are playing anywhere near me haha

Last edited:

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
So Ulcerate freaking killed it. Like holy shit, one of the best shows I have been to in my life. Their guitarist is literally insane. He played both guitar parts (tap danced while doing it) through a 6505 stereo setup. It was a no BS show, just straight music, no chitchat or anything.

FloridaRolf

Reaction score
Gonna see Cynic + Obscura and Meshuggah in March, pretty hyped already

wiretap

Reaction score
I’m old and don’t go to shows much these days unless it’s a band I just absolutely have to see. That said, caught Botch on their “reunion/farewell” whatever tour recently and was worth the 20+ year wait.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Saw Fear of Domination at my local pub yesterday. It was a bit funny to see a band of that scale in such a small venue, but it was a good show anyway and the band seemed to be having fun as well.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Friend said it was loud AF (which, duh, probably). True statement?
Accurate. It was one of the more impressive live sounds I've ever experienced. Genuinely one of the best live acts of all time. Everything was so crisp and clear. I'm 100% sold on getting an M8M, or at the very least until I can afford to buy one, I'll snag a Lundgren pickup for an 8 string I'm building.
Screenshot_20231126-130302.png

Also, In Flames was really good. Super fun show. Screenshot_20231126-130457.png

Last edited: