What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw Kali Masi (Chicago) and Makewar (Brooklyn) on a tuesday. Solid bands if you like punk!

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I’m still shaking a bit and it’s been an hour-

I SCORED TICKETS TO BOTH GILMOUR SHOWS AT MADISON SQUARE!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing Floyd when I was 11 changed the entire course of my life and I didn’t think I’d ever get to see him again, now I’ll be seeing him twice!!!!!

Biggest fucking concerts of my life. I don’t know if anything will ever top this.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m still shaking a bit and it’s been an hour-

I SCORED TICKETS TO BOTH GILMOUR SHOWS AT MADISON SQUARE!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing Floyd when I was 11 changed the entire course of my life and I didn’t think I’d ever get to see him again, now I’ll be seeing him twice!!!!!

Biggest fucking concerts of my life. I don’t know if anything will ever top this.

That's definitely something to be excited about. Gotta catch the old guard before they all retire or die.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Regarding the old guard, I decided that I will go with my friend to the Bruce Dickinson show in Helsinki that I was unsure about before. I finally discovered his Tyranny of Souls album and that tipped the scales just enough that I decided to go.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
A friend convinced me to go see Sleep Token on May 25. I am weirdly excited about seeing them even though I have never heard even 5 seconds of their music. I feel like I have been avoiding them for a long time just because they are the hot new thing, but I should stop being a grumpy old man :lol: I do kinda have a good feel for their shtick and have read up on them quite a bit. I want the live show to be the first time I hear their music. I am expecting something like Bad Omens but with higher highs and lower lows. Found cheap tickets in general admission, which is nice.

Moongrum

Reaction score
A friend convinced me to go see Sleep Token on May 25. I am weirdly excited about seeing them even though I have never heard even 5 seconds of their music. I feel like I have been avoiding them for a long time just because they are the hot new thing, but I should stop being a grumpy old man :lol: I do kinda have a good feel for their shtick and have read up on them quite a bit. I want the live show to be the first time I hear their music. I am expecting something like Bad Omens but with higher highs and lower lows. Found cheap tickets in general admission, which is nice.
It'll probably be a fun show, from an atmosphere perspective at least. Unlike a lot of metal bands, their fans are fairly diverse (ie, not just hairy men with tattoos).

And yeah, the hype around that band is annoying. They have some interesting stuff, some bad stuff, but being interesting is good. I originally disliked them, but they've grown on me a bit.

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread like this here so I figured I'd start one now!

So now that live shows are more or less back, what bands did you see live recently? How was it? Did they play tight / was their sound any good / how did they interact with the crowd / how was the venue / etc ?

Also, what shows have you bought tickets to or just planning on attending?

Personally I'm waiting for Bloodbound, who are a Swedish power metal band. They were supposed to play in Helsinki last autumn, but they postponed the show by a full year. They said it was due to covid, but I'm pretty sure they just didn't sell enough tickets (maybe because people were still too afraid of covid). Anyway, this time they've announced supporting bands and schedules and all that, so it definitely looks like it's happening this time. I just don't know how popular they actually are over here, so it might be just me and my friend + a few local drunks at the show... But then again, that's what we thought about Gloryhammer a few years ago and were pleasantly surprised to see a whole bunch of other people in their shirts shouting "hoots! hoots! hoots!" with us :lol:

Then there's Nordic Metal Cruise which we've been attending every year since the concept was launched. Last year and this year it was moved from February to November because of covid, but I assume it'll return to February next year again.
It's basically a 24h boat cruise with a few metal bands playing. Last time was Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Verikalpa and Swallow the Sun. The cruise ship isn't optimal in terms of sound - the first time was actually pretty bad, as guitars were barely audible. They managed to fix that somehow for the next time though, and sound has been decent since.
This year's bands are Ihsahn, Leprous, Assemble the Chariots and Ember Falls. Not really a fan of any of the bands, but it doesn't cost much more than a normal boat cruise so I'm happy to just get drunk on a boat full of other metalheads.

So now that live shows are more or less back, what bands did you see live recently? How was it? Did they play tight / was their sound any good / how did they interact with the crowd / how was the venue / etc ?

Personally I'm waiting for Bloodbound, who are a Swedish power metal band. They were supposed to play in Helsinki last autumn, but they postponed the show by a full year. They said it was due to covid, but I'm pretty sure they just didn't sell enough tickets (maybe because people were still too afraid of covid). Anyway, this time they've announced supporting bands and schedules and all that, so it definitely looks like it's happening this time. I just don't know how popular they actually are over here, so it might be just me and my friend + a few local drunks at the show... But then again, that's what we thought about Gloryhammer a few years ago and were pleasantly surprised to see a whole bunch of other people in their shirts shouting "hoots! hoots! hoots!" with us :lol:

Then there's Nordic Metal Cruise which we've been attending every year since the concept was launched. Last year and this year it was moved from February to November because of covid, but I assume it'll return to February next year again.
It's basically a 24h boat cruise with a few metal bands playing. Last time was Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Verikalpa and Swallow the Sun. The

It's basically a 24h boat cruise with a few metal bands playing. Last time was Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Verikalpa and Swallow the Sun. The cruise ship isn't optimal in terms of sound - the first time was actually pretty bad, as guitars were barely audible. They managed to fix that somehow for the next time though, and sound has been decent since.
This year's bands are Ihsahn, Leprous, Assemble the Chariots and Ember Falls. Not really a fan of any of the bands, but it doesn't cost much more than a normal boat cruise so I'm happy to just get drunk on a boat full of other metalheads.

cruise ship isn't optimal in terms of sound - the first time was actually pretty bad, as guitars were barely audible. They managed to fix that somehow for the next time though, and sound has been decent since.
This year's bands are Ihsahn, Leprous, Assemble the Chariots and Ember Falls. Not really a fan of any of the bands, but it doesn't cost much more than a normal boat cruise so I'm happy to just get drunk on a boat full of other metalheads
Don‘t know if that‘s still recent but I saw Polyphia last year on my birthday and had the VIP Package with the Meet & Greet etc. Saw them in Munich at a small venue. The crowd was great, they played great. I just wish they would‘ve played Bloodbath or Chimera or some other songs of the latest album.

Last fall I saw Animals as Leaders. Incredible playing but I should‘ve brought ear protection.

For the last one I saw Periphery in January. I was there early so I was able to get a spot in front row directly underneath Mark Holcomb and at the end of the show the guy next to me caught two of his picks and gave me one of those.

Upcoming is sleep token in november in Linz and I‘m planning on seeing Unprocessed and Dream Theater as well. I might also see Plini but I‘m unsure if I can make that one.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Had to change vacation plans, so now I'm free to go see Periphery next week. I'm weirdly excited for a band whose music I rarely listen to and whose repertoire I mostly don't care for. I guess it's because they are the reason I got my first 7 string back in 2010, and they're a significant part of the reason I stayed on this forum and didn't just ditch. Some of the OG Bulb and Periphery recordings before their debut album were fucking bomb. I still much prefer Chris Barretto's voice in Icarus Lives.

I may go to Toronto in September to see Korn, Gojira, (possibly) Evanescence, and Spirit Box. Should be good fun! Though tickets aren't cheap...

This show was fun. I'd never heard Eidola before, and they were pretty bomb. One of their guitarists certainly stood in a theatrical kind of way :lol: too bad the sound in the venue was total garbage.

Periphery were tight as fuck. However, the venue had (once again) pretty shit sound for their music, so for the most part it was just loud drums and a wall of bass. The crowd... yeah, it had been years I hadn't experienced a crowd like this. A little too rowdy and inconsiderate for my liking. I figure it's because it's a band that is more "in" with the current generation and it's a younger crowd that looks more for a party and want a good time than just listen to the music. But it was cool to see so many people be SO into Periphery. Spencer asked the crowd at one point if anybody had been around since the first album, and I could only think "bitch I've been here since before you were even a part of the band!" :lol: All in all, I'm definitely too old and tired to stand in the middle of the crowd at the very front anymore 😅 but it was still a ton of fun and I'm glad I finally got to see them live despite not being too into their music.

zkhrats

one Deranged Carrot
Reaction score
I just back from seeing Periphery tonight. They were fucking great. Eidola was fucking awesome as well. I think I enjoyed them as much as Periphery, maybe a bit more even.
Eidola were fantastic! I wasnt familiar with their music (my own fault, woops) but they put on an awesome show. Periphery were immense live and I was pretty blown away by Spencer, dude nailed it.
Unfortunately I missed Jake's set just due to travel times but what can ya do haha
Overall a super fun night of music and a good excuse to post on seven-string for the first time in like 9 years!

DestroyMankind

Reaction score
Tuesday I'm driving to Indianapolis to see Morbikon, Skeletal Remains, and Exhumed. I'm excited to hear an old school Exhumed set.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
I've got tickets to see Lamb of God in August in Penticton, British Columbia. I'm taking my 12 yr old as well, she recently started learning the guitar. We have seats close to the right side of the stage, so we'll have a great view of my guitar hero Mark Morton!

I got this painting done by a friend in 2014, I would love to take this painting and somehow get Mark to sign it!

1000008638.jpg

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Saw Symphony X and Heathen last night in Pittsburgh. I’ve never listened to much Heathen so I wasn’t too familiar with their material. Sy X was fantastic as always despite only playing for maybe 200 people which is just sad. Course it was a Tuesday night and they’re touring on a nine year old album! Romeo was using his Engl fireballs with a quad cortex controlling everything and doing effects. He had a fractal expression pedal and line 6 wireless. Simple and sounded great!

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Saw Symphony X and Heathen last night in Pittsburgh. I’ve never listened to much Heathen so I wasn’t too familiar with their material. Sy X was fantastic as always despite only playing for maybe 200 people which is just sad. Course it was a Tuesday night and they’re touring on a nine year old album! Romeo was using his Engl fireballs with a quad cortex controlling everything and doing effects. He had a fractal expression pedal and line 6 wireless. Simple and sounded great!
How are Heathen's harmonized vocals live at this point? I'm sure the riffage is killer, but half their appeal is the wild harmonies over such heavy riffs.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
How are Heathen's harmonized vocals live at this point? I'm sure the riffage is killer, but half their appeal is the wild harmonies over such heavy riffs.
Did you mean harmonized leads/melodies? I was over in front of Kyle so couldn’t hear Kragen as well but they did at least sound together. Otherwise it was kind of drowned out by the overall mix unfortunately.

If you meant vocals, there wasn’t much of that at all besides the occasional emphasized word or two by Kyle or Kragen.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Did you mean harmonized leads/melodies? I was over in front of Kyle so couldn’t hear Kragen as well but they did at least sound together. Otherwise it was kind of drowned out by the overall mix unfortunately.

If you meant vocals, there wasn’t much of that at all besides the occasional emphasized word or two by Kyle or Kragen.
I meant vocals. That's a bummer. I used to really dig them being one of the few bands that sometimes hit the thrash sweet spot yet still had real harmonies in the choruses. Of course, I should admit I haven't listened to them much in about (looks at watch) more years than I'm willing to admit. They may have dropped that bit of their sound in the intervening decades. God I'm old.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw Gorguts, it was a good show, the venue sound quality was a little mushy but it was fun none-the-less. They were using VH140cs with some marshall cabinets.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I am going to see some band called SOEN next week. My friend asked me if I wanted to go, so I listened to a song or two of theirs and bought a ticket.

More importantly, I'm going to see Buckethead next week! I am very excited. I have been a fan since I was 16. He's the only one of my favorite artists that I have not yet seen live.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Saw Sleep Token at Radio City Music Hall the other night. Best show I've ever been to.

Dillinger Escape Plan next, Slipknot and Knocked Loose in August

Latest posts