What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Max is the dude from Exist right? If so, they toured with Obscura/Beyond Creation some years back and when they came thru, I thought he was basically a modern era Chuck, so makes total sense to see him doing the vocals for it (if not guitar too)
Yup that is him. He completely nails it.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw a 2 night show this weekend of Death to All with Cryptopsy supporting. Night 1 was Scream Bloody Gore + early Death material, night 2 was Sound of Perserverance + later era Death.

Cryptopsy played pretty well and played a lot of songs I never would have expected to hear live from them. I guess they got tired of being hounded about playing the old material other than the obvious songs and actually started including some other songs from Blasphemy Made Flesh for example. They overall played much better than the first time I saw them in 2016 but some of the songs still sound off without a 2nd guitar player. The singer, Matt has improved in leaps and bounds from then as well but he's super cheesy on stage and was non stop throwing poses for the camera man touring with them. It felt weird at first and I didn't understand why and then my wife pointed it out to me and I couldn't unsee it both nights. It almost felt like watching a pre-pubescent kid flexing in front of their mirror or something lol. Other than that, still was entertaining and I'm glad to have seen them.

I saw Death to All last year and admittedly wasn't as into it. This time though they absolutely blew me away. All of them played super clean, to the surprise of no one, but the most impressive thing to me was Bobby Koelble. The dude has been playing for so damned long and his lead playing would put dudes half of his age in their prime to absolute shame. It's actually mind boggling how immaculate and clear his playing all around is for a 55 year old. I was super happy with the sets for both nights and it felt good to go back and relive those old Death songs that I admittedly hadn't listened to in a bit. It brought back a lot of nostalgia for me of my early days playing guitar and learning a lot of those classic songs with some buddies. In my head I remember them being a lot more simple, but there were certainly some parts that had me pretty impressed. Hell, they even played the Painkiller cover from Sound of Perserverance and it was so damned awesome.

To anyone who's been debating on going to this, please, don't miss it. It was probably my favorite show this year so far.

Bobby is a professor of jazz guitar at two colleges. He's an extremely good player. I would have liked to see the Sound show in Seattle. SBG rules but I would rather see the great playing.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Bobby is a professor of jazz guitar at two colleges. He's an extremely good player. I would have liked to see the Sound show in Seattle. SBG rules but I would rather see the great playing.

I ran into him a few times playing one man jazz shows at random various venues around Orlando about 10 years ago when I still lived there. In any case I'm just glad the dude hasn't really taken any sort of hiatus from music and it absolutely shows in his playing.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A few days ago I saw a jazz band play a bunch of songs from Cowboy Bebop and they had a big projector screen and it was all synced up with clips from the show and it was sick as fuck. My brother got me a ticket cuz he's nice :)

It was this band and they're were really good :)

Just gave this a listen. A rad show.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Day 1 of Tuska done. Alestorm were fun as always, and they played the song Back Through Time which I never thought I'd hear live. It's got my favorite Alestorm lyric line: "You put your faith in Odin and Thor, we put ours in cannons and whores" :lol:
Kerry King was just as bland as his album, and I felt that Bostaph was kinda sloppy on the faster parts. The slower parts worked way better live.
Dimmu was also just ok. It kinda lacked energy, and the guitars were mixed too quiet... But on the other hand the setlist was almost 100% what I wanted to hear.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Lamb of God in August, in Penticton, British Columbia. They are doing the Ashes of Leviathan tour with Mastodon.

I'm a huge Lamb of God fan. I love hockey too, I ordered a custom made Lamb of God hockey jersey in February for the concert this August.

1000009668.jpg

Here it is next to my Edmonton Oilers jerseys.
1000009669.jpg

1000009670.jpg

Since Lamb of God are doing the 20th anniversary of the Ashes of the Wake album Live, I bought summer shorts too that have the Ashes of the awake logo. I love Lamb of God! They are my favorite band!

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
The last time that I saw Lamb of God, was in Edmonton, Alberta.

This is a tour shirt that I bought at the Lamb of God concert on April 10th, 2009 when they supported the Wrath album on the North American tour.

1000009673.jpg

I have a strange connection to Edmonton, Alberta. The first time I saw Lamb of God, was December 8th, 2008 and they opened for Metallica at Rexall Place - the old former Edmonton Oilers hockey arena!

I will always love the Edmonton Oilers and Lamb of God. I can't wait to see them live again! Maybe McDavid can hoist Lord Stanley next season.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Day 1 of Tuska done. Alestorm were fun as always, and they played the song Back Through Time which I never thought I'd hear live. It's got my favorite Alestorm lyric line: "You put your faith in Odin and Thor, we put ours in cannons and whores" :lol:
Kerry King was just as bland as his album, and I felt that Bostaph was kinda sloppy on the faster parts. The slower parts worked way better live.
Dimmu was also just ok. It kinda lacked energy, and the guitars were mixed too quiet... But on the other hand the setlist was almost 100% what I wanted to hear.

Day 2 awaits for me too. Yesterday I went to see Alestorm, Dimmu Borgir, Bloodred Hourglass and Suotana. Bit of Lord Of The Lost and I Am The Night also. Suotana gig in the KVLT stage was sweaty af, but it's quite awesome to have small club stage feel in Tuska in counter to big festival stages. And that was 3rd time I saw Alestorm live, great fun as always.

Today; Tarot, Kaunis Kuolematon, maybe Stam1na, Amorphis at least. Riverside interests me quite a bit...

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
A few days ago I saw a jazz band play a bunch of songs from Cowboy Bebop and they had a big projector screen and it was all synced up with clips from the show and it was sick as fuck. My brother got me a ticket cuz he's nice :)

*snip

It was this band and they're were really good :)
This is super cool.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Day 2 awaits for me too. Yesterday I went to see Alestorm, Dimmu Borgir, Bloodred Hourglass and Suotana. Bit of Lord Of The Lost and I Am The Night also. Suotana gig in the KVLT stage was sweaty af, but it's quite awesome to have small club stage feel in Tuska in counter to big festival stages. And that was 3rd time I saw Alestorm live, great fun as always.

Today; Tarot, Kaunis Kuolematon, maybe Stam1na, Amorphis at least. Riverside interests me quite a bit...

Yeah, Suotana was pretty cool. I also went to the afterparty club and checked out Final Assault and Bob Malmström, which were a lot of fun as well. And one more that neither of us mentioned before - Elvenking. They seemed to have some technical issues, but otherwise it was a good show. Oh and Infected Rain was pretty cool too.

Today I started with Rytmihäiriö, which was really entertaining and they've adjusted their sound since the last time I saw them, heavy Pantera vibes on the guitars!

Then I checked out Vola, Stam1na, I am Your God (KVLT stage), Amorphis and Riverside.

Vola was not quite my cup of tea and sounded a bit odd, but later I realized it was because we were at the side of the stage and it was quite windy. Listened to the last song next to the mixing booth and it sounded a lot better.
Stam1na killed as always. They can basically take any random songs from their catalogue and the crowd will go nuts. Paha Arkkitehti was fun for change.
Amorphis... was just being Amorphis. I think they might have played the exact same set as 2 years ago at Tuska. They sound perfect and the songs are good, but I wish they'd dig up some deep cuts for a change. (Update: I compared the setlists and they were 9/12 the same)

I am Your God was pretty cool too. My expectation was that they're a metalcore band with some CoB vibes here and there, but instead they had a lot of blast beats and generally heavier stuff than I expected. I just wish their guitars had been mixed been louder. It wasn't the stage/venue either because Suotana's guitars were definitely loud enough.

Riverside was the surprise of the day though. At first I thought it felt boring and the sound kinda powerless, but after a few songs I really liked it. It took a while for my ears to adjust to the softer general sound.

Oh yeah and then there was Tarot and Sonata Arctica... :lol: Checked both out, but nothing to say really.

Make a guess how tired my feet are after all those bands! :lol:

Last edited: