What brand of strings do you use and why?

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Wait COATED? Them bitches come coated bow? They're gonna live for

They are incredibly hard to find even on their website, white packet

as.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They are incredibly hard to find even on their website, white packet

View attachment 145545
Real way with words, Alex.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I just use D'Addario XLs because they are easy to find and last a long time...and they have a nice bright sound. I did try some Ernie Ball strings a couple years ago but they sounded kind of comparatively dull to me.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I just use D'Addario XLs because they are easy to find and last a long time...and they have a nice bright sound. I did try some Ernie Ball strings a couple years ago but they sounded kind of comparatively dull to me.
I use Ernie ball slinkys for my secondhand video's as in you got a guitar secondhand and just strung it up. Sound good maybe the first day? After that the g and b strings suck balls.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
for the 7 string i use elixir optioweb 09-42 + a 62 for drop A. For my 6 string, i use nyxl because i cant find an elixir optiweb set that exists for 12-54 for c# standard tuning.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was a die hard D'Addario XL user because you could find them wherever and they had the sound I wanted and kept it for a while.
But for you people in Europe: I just tried Pyramids for the first time and I'm sold. Solid craftmanship, really "strong" sound, they keep all of their frequencies consistent for a long time and when they start to go, they all go very slowly and you don't get weird dropouts.
They are also made in Germany, so around here they're really easy to get and are really cheap.

Edit: Just realized, they are doing strings since 1850?!

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Depends on the guitars.

For regular 25.5" scale guitars I mostly use Dunlop (because they're cheap and much better than EB ime).

For my longer scale guitars (27" +) I use Stringjoy since they accommodate less common gauges and they're pretty good quality imo.

For my 8 strings and my nylon string guitar I mostly use LaBella - largely because I bought a shitload of their strings back in the day and I'm still working through them. Their nylon strings are great and last quite a while unlike the gold Augustine strings I used to use. Their larger gauge strings for electrics were clearer and cheaper than the Kaliums I used to buy.

I usually buy strings in bulk because it's cheaper.

randall696

Reaction score
all my life I thought that there is no significant difference between strings other than longer life of certain materials or coatings.

Boy was I wrong xD

I used Ernie Balls or DR Strings for the past 20 years or so.... since they where always available, cheap, and ok reliable for me.

Somewhen last year all this changed and I was a little like why the hell didn´t I descovered this 15 years prior...

I bought a brand new ESP E-II M-II and the Strings that where on it where mindblowingly good even tho it was a small gauge like 09. or so, the strings felt like buttery magic super smooth I have no words to describe it... So I did some reseach and found out the Guitar was equipped with Elixir Nanoweb Strings from the factory so I ordered a few boxes and have all my fleet now strung up with Elixir Nanowebs.
This literally even changed how much I play guitar since its no where near exhausing for the fingers anymore.
The ernie balls feel like sandpaper compared to the Elixir.
Really wish someone whould have told me years ago.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
For my 8 strings and my nylon string guitar I mostly use LaBella - largely because I bought a shitload of their strings back in the day and I'm still working through them. Their nylon strings are great and last quite a while unlike the gold Augustine strings I used to use. Their larger gauge strings for electrics were clearer and cheaper than the Kaliums I used to buy.
How do they hold up over time? I stopped using LaBella because they stopped allowing for tapering at the ball end on "custom" guitar strings and my last couple of orders (2-3 years ago at this point) featured some pre-rusted plain strings in all 8 of the sets. They did replace the bad strings, but it seemed like a warehouse problem at the time.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I he
I was a die hard D'Addario XL user because you could find them wherever and they had the sound I wanted and kept it for a while.
But for you people in Europe: I just tried Pyramids for the first time and I'm sold. Solid craftmanship, really "strong" sound, they keep all of their frequencies consistent for a long time and when they start to go, they all go very slowly and you don't get weird dropouts.
They are also made in Germany, so around here they're really easy to get and are really cheap.

Edit: Just realized, they are doing strings since 1850?!
I hear you. Thomastik strings are great too.

But not every store stocks 'em.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
How do they hold up over time? I stopped using LaBella because they stopped allowing for tapering at the ball end on "custom" guitar strings and my last couple of orders (2-3 years ago at this point) featured some pre-rusted plain strings in all 8 of the sets. They did replace the bad strings, but it seemed like a warehouse problem at the time.
I've had no problem with them showing up rusted, and they hold up pretty well tbh.

Marked Man

Reaction score
all my life I thought that there is no significant difference between strings other than longer life of certain materials or coatings.

Boy was I wrong xD

I used Ernie Balls or DR Strings for the past 20 years or so.... since they where always available, cheap, and ok reliable for me.

Somewhen last year all this changed and I was a little like why the hell didn´t I descovered this 15 years prior...

I bought a brand new ESP E-II M-II and the Strings that where on it where mindblowingly good even tho it was a small gauge like 09. or so, the strings felt like buttery magic super smooth I have no words to describe it... So I did some reseach and found out the Guitar was equipped with Elixir Nanoweb Strings from the factory so I ordered a few boxes and have all my fleet now strung up with Elixir Nanowebs.
This literally even changed how much I play guitar since its no where near exhausing for the fingers anymore.
The ernie balls feel like sandpaper compared to the Elixir.
Really wish someone whould have told me years ago.

Apparently Nanowebs are on my new Horizon III. May even replace with the same on that guitar since they work so well. :agreed: