What do you bedroom players use to play through?

• Thread starter electriceye
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

electriceye

Reaction score
So, I'm not in a band. Probably won't ever be again. Which is fine! Basically, I like to play along with my massive metal collection through my computer when everyone else goes to sleep. I've had a Line 6 Pod UX, which I've always loved. Problem is that it was discontinued a long time ago and I can't upgrade the Mac I use it with past OS X 10.6 or it will break the software. I've had it for almost ten years now. Time to move on, I guess.

So, the choices seem fairly overwhelming. Line 6 has a cheap $99 thing I think I can play through using my iPad and my music library. On the other end, I've always wondered about the amazing sounds you can get with an AxeFX. A lot more amps come with headphone outputs now, which is awesome, but how do you use that to play along with anything in the middle of the night.

So, just curious what you guys out there have set up that works for you. While I would love to have an EVH 5150 half stack to blast through the house, it's not at all practical. :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I had an AFXII year ago and use Positive Grid BIAS now with an Apogee interface and a Matrix FRFR cab. Very happy with BIAS. The AFXII was ok but mostly frustrating some how. But there have been many updates since I had it.

But a nice FRFR cab seems key. I hate playing into headphones. Always sounds unnatural because there are zero room interactions.

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a bedroom player but I use a Rhodes/KSR Gemini half stack. if i need to be quiet I use the lepou amp sims, theyre free and pretty good.

stevexc

Reaction score
HD500 into (with 4CM) a Peavy ValveKing II 50 watt 112. The HD500 gives me a Master Volume of sorts so I can keep it fairly quiet. For near-silent jamming I've got the VKII running into a mixer on my desk, I can turn off the speaker on the VKII (it has an internal load) and run it through headphones through the mixer.

electriceye

Reaction score
I had an AFXII year ago and use Positive Grid BIAS now with an Apogee interface and a Matrix FRFR cab. Very happy with BIAS. The AFXII was ok but mostly frustrating some how. But there have been many updates since I had it.

But a nice FRFR cab seems key. I hate playing into headphones. Always sounds unnatural because there are zero room interactions.

Yeah, but a cab isn't practical for me at all. Gotta stick w/ the headphones.

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
POD HD 400 > Torpedo C.A.B. through headphones or powered speakers.

And sometimes Blackstar ID TVP 15 boosted with Maxon 808

Simple but efficient.

electriceye

Reaction score
GÜMERSINDO;4694818 said:
POD HD 400 > Torpedo C.A.B. through headphones or powered speakers.

And sometimes Blackstar ID TVP 15 boosted with Maxon 808

Simple but efficient.

Can you pump your MP3s through that to play along with or no?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I use an Atomic Amplifire. It's a modeler that's just a pedal, hook it up to a powered monitor. It has IR or whatever that simulates the cab.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Two different rigs for slightly different purposes:

Recording setup is Fryette GP/DI into Axe-Fx II and JBL LSR308 monitors. Axe-Fx works as an interface into a MacBookPro with Ableton Live.

Then I have my "livingroom" setup, which is basically for messing around with pedals and blowing off steam. That's a big pedalboard running into an Orange Micro Dark and/or Hotone Heart Attack. That setup is purposely not near a computer. I'm a programmer and I work from home and my recording setup is in my home office, so I definitely need to be able to get out of my office and away from the computer sometimes.

endmysuffering

I'm serious
Reaction score
I use a 30$ behringer interface into my hp pavillion running revalver 4 and ownhammer impulses and a set of skullcandy grinds (not as bad as you would expect) that I got as a gift (looking into a set of real monitors). Broke squad unite.

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
Can you pump your MP3s through that to play along with or no?

If you mean of Blackstar it has a feature software where you can play tracks to play along, or use an specific input for mp3 players.

When I use the the Pod/C.A.B. it goes through balanced signal direct to my audio interface so I can play tracks in my pc and play over.

Carcaridon

Reaction score
I'm an "office" player, as my gear is in my home office. I use a Kemper into a Pro Tools rig and play/record through that.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
my boogie f30 for ....s and giggles or my kemper straight into my scarlett 2i4 for recording. I use I also play the kemper at night with my akg headphones so I don't wake the neighbors or family members. I'd love to own some a half stack and a dual rec or something but I guess that'll have to wait til I get my own place with a lot of sound proofing :/

jerm

Reaction score
Kemper and studio monitors :)

Sold my 6505+ halfstack when I got it.

MiPwnYew

Reaction score
Yamaha THR10x. Sweet little lunchbox sized amp that is easy to dial tones in quickly, also works as an interface to record or just listen to music through.

Currently looking a regular THR10 for some low gain/acoustic tones

MatthewK

Reaction score
At home I play with Amplitube Mesa/Boogie on my iPad through studio monitors. It sounds pretty legit to my ears. I have a Mark V 25 for gigging, but I'd like to move to modelling there too.