What earplugs do you like?

• Thread starter Dumple Stilzkin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I’ve got hero’s, and some cheapies lying around. But there’s some shows coming up where I want something better quality, you know— reducing volume with minimal tone and frequency loss. Recommendations are appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
My biggest problem with earbuds have always been that I find them really uncomfortable to wear because I have narrow ear canals, and some brands can be tricky to get in as well. My savior ended up being a pair of dBud earplugs. I've used them for concerts and band rehearsal, and I couldn't be happier.

https://dbud.io/

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Etymotic for me, I think the ER20's but might be a different model. They're comfortable enough if I take them out between sets at a show, but if I had to wear them for a couple hours straight they would bug me. I remember back when I used to work at a factory I tried them out and found them very uncomfortable after half a day, but ymmv.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great topic. I always wear ear plugs. Always.

Depends.

1) For stuff I think isn't going to be insanely loud, I go Entymotic 20db.

2) For stuff I think is going to be insanely loud, I go Target foam 32db. I don't fuck around.

*Here's my secret: the more you wear a particular earplug, the more you adjust to their sound. The Target foam ones kill all high-end, but over time I've figured out the sound profile and I can enjoy a set.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I used "Vibes Hi-Fidelity Earplugs" at the Chaos & Carnage tour recently and they worked great for me. No ringing ears after 4+ hours of live metal.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Molded plugs with -25dB filters.
Any recommendations in Southern Ontario/Canada? My partner is stusyingto be an audiologist and has done earmolds but I'm not sure if they're the same thing as molded ear plugs or if they're more for like medical diagnoses.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Any recommendations in Southern Ontario/Canada? My partner is stusyingto be an audiologist and has done earmolds but I'm not sure if they're the same thing as molded ear plugs or if they're more for like medical diagnoses.
Pretty sure mine were done at Bentley Hearing (?) but any audiology clinic should be able to do it.

I lost one on tour and need to get a new set, but havent been going to many shows..

ryanscott6

Reaction score
For the US people that have a FSA through work you may be able to use it to pay for custom molds, both for the audiologist and for the earplugs. I went with Sensaphonics.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure mine were done at Bentley Hearing (?) but any audiology clinic should be able to do it.

I lost one on tour and need to get a new set, but havent been going to many shows..
Oh nice, so I guess they are the same thing. Will see if I could get a pair for myself while bring able to say I'm helping my partner get some practice.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Eargasms was the worst $50 I ever spent. Returned them the day after. Only one side worked at reducing volume/noise and ended up having to use the classic orange foamies that same night. All the eargasms did was make my inner ear itch like crazy.

mastapimp

Reaction score
I've had a pair of earasers for years that are great for club/small venue type shows where the volume calls for earplugs but isn't extreme. They do a good job keeping the sound balanced as they're filtered. However, I always keep an extra pair of foam plugs in the same case if the volume seems too loud with the earasers in.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I have tried the most popular models on the market. So here is my review:

GET
CUSTOM
MOLDED
EARPLUGS

Thank me later. No matter how expensive you think they are. They're not. And we buy much more expensive shit that is not as useful as them.

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have had my molded ear plugs for over 18 years. Decided I needed them when I started playing in a band and couldn't hear myself (guitar) well enough with cheaper foam or silicon plugs. In ear monitors weren't an option for us at the time. I'm not in band anymore but still use them when visiting concerts.
Managed not to lose them. I think I paid about 140€. Not a lot of money for keeping decent hearing. The filters are exchangable, I have 25db ones, the audiologist chain I bought them from also offered 15db and 35db.

sleewell

Reaction score
Etymotic for me, I think the ER20's but might be a different model. They're comfortable enough if I take them out between sets at a show, but if I had to wear them for a couple hours straight they would bug me. I remember back when I used to work at a factory I tried them out and found them very uncomfortable after half a day, but ymmv.

Same

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
I’ve got hero’s, and some cheapies lying around. But there’s some shows coming up where I want something better quality, you know— reducing volume with minimal tone and frequency loss. Recommendations are appreciated.
Shure SE215's
1 pair is super old, another is new. I know there are better ones out there but these reduce sound 35+ db and they are not that expensive, that I need to worry about using them.

I have had my molded ear plugs for over 18 years. Decided I needed them when I started playing in a band and couldn't hear myself (guitar) well enough with cheaper foam or silicon plugs. In ear monitors weren't an option for us at the time. I'm not in band anymore but still use them when visiting concerts.
Managed not to lose them. I think I paid about 140€. Not a lot of money for keeping decent hearing. The filters are exchangable, I have 25db ones, the audiologist chain I bought them from also offered 15db and 35db.
What was the audiologist experience like ? I am considering this option too.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
I’ve used the basic Entymotics for years without issue. Really like how they preserve most of the tone while cutting a lot of the harshness, and I go home without any ringing in my ears. After using basic foam plugs for years at shows and at worksites I was surprised at the tone difference. Something like the dBuds are tempting to try out with the selector switch on them, currently have to take the Entys out between sets to hear how gouged I’m getting on my drink.

Last edited:

Latest posts