What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Sekiro is twice as easy if you swap the controller binds for heal and switch prosthetic tool. There is never a single situation in the game where you need to clutch switch tools while moving in combat, yet there will be hundreds of times you need to with heal. And for some reason they put one in the hard to reach spot and the other on a main button! I think I might have then also switched “use” and heal to make it more like previous Souls Games (and what they used on Elden ring), I forget exactly what the defaults were.
In previous souls games use/interact is X whereas in Elden Ring it's triangle. They had to move it because X=jump.
(Again, in Playstation terms)
So yeah, I guess I'll swap those.
I guess the reason they put all the item stuff on the dpad is that there isn't much else to do with it, whereas in DS/ER you switch items/spells/right hand/left hand with it. I guess it's sort of logical that the use item button is close to the switch item button, but yeah, I'll still swap it. Hell, there could be a completely dedicated heal button for all I care, and then have all the other items on the dpad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I am interested in Metroid prime 4, but I’d be more interested in a rerelease of 3 that doesn’t use the shitty goddam wiimote so I can stand to play more than an hour of it
Emulation + playing with a mouse makes it a pretty decent experience, IMO.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys saw the patch notes.

"Added new feature to summon spectral steed during the Elden Beast the boss battle."

:donnie:

Is "I beat Elden Beast without Torrent!" the new "I beat Radahn, pre-nerf!"? Find out at 10!

edit: someone also made this joke on the subreddit thread for the patch changes, I made it all on my own, I swear!

Last edited:

Jynx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is "I beat Elden Beast without Torrent!" the new "I beat Radahn, pre-nerf!"? Find out at 10!

edit: someone also made this joke on the subreddit thread for the patch changes, I made it all on my own, I swear!

I beat Elden Beat really easily. Two or three goes I think. He seemed quite simple after Radagon to me.

Funnily I also beat pre-nerf Radahn easily too. I think that was mainly because I didn't realise you could summon Torrent. I just stayed under him.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Elden Beast as an enemy isn't difficult, it's got a pretty small moveset, it's a matter of slamming thru Radagon with as many flasks left over as possible so you're not stuck with like, 3 heals and zero FP refills, for an entire boss fight when he CAN do like, half health with single hits depending on build.

He's more tedious than anything, and I say that as someone who beat him on each one of his builds (STR/INT/DEX)

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
He's more tedious than anything, and I say that as someone who beat him on each one of his builds (STR/INT/DEX)

Yeah, tedious is exactly the word I'd use to describe him. I died a couple of times mainly because the battle took ages and after a while I couldn't be bothered waiting for the proper opening to attack anymore.

On horseback it should be a walk in the park...

Jynx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Shadow of the Erdtree is an expansion rather than DLC. It is massive and absolutely packed with content. It builds on the main game in the best possible way.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Last week, I restarted Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on my Xbox 360. It's an original Xbox game, but I found it on the Xbox Marketplace for $30 back in 2016.

1000009494.jpg

I feel like a kid again haha

I picked a hilarious name as well... :lol: :lol: :lol:

1000009495.jpg

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
Been playing Fear & Hunger 2, just as much of a deeply disturbing mindfuck as the first game. Punishing as all hell, but very fun. Not sure if I like the first one or this one more

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
@TedEH have you played A Short Hike? It has a whole vibe going on.
I poked around a bit, but never got far into it. It seemed decent, although it's also got some of those "anachronistic" things going on. In a "i can tell this was probably made in unity" kind of way. (Google seems to confirm, it's a Unity title.) It's so hard to articulate the difference between something that was clearly made in the way that old games were made, vs. a modern engine that uses modern rendering and animation techniques but slaps a shader on top to round to the nearest pixel.

I wonder if it's something that younger gamers or people who aren't just weird nerds can't tell the difference - kind of like how an ol' fogey knows the mojo of a tube amp but someone who started with amp sims just isn't looking for the same feel - like it's hard to know to look for something you've never experienced and that is difficult to articulate.

I'm looking at a video of gameplay now, and I can immediately spot things like the edge-detect effect around models, and a number of objects that are meant to be 2d looking but kinda look to me like 3d objects composited together - like the speech bubble icon is not a sprite, it's a white... thing?... with an exclamation point on top of it that don't always round to the same position so the two objects kinda jitter in relation to eachother.

They're perfectly fine - these aren't the details that "matter" - I just can't not see them.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I poked around a bit, but never got far into it. It seemed decent, although it's also got some of those "anachronistic" things going on. In a "i can tell this was probably made in unity" kind of way. (Google seems to confirm, it's a Unity title.) It's so hard to articulate the difference between something that was clearly made in the way that old games were made, vs. a modern engine that uses modern rendering and animation techniques but slaps a shader on top to round to the nearest pixel.

I wonder if it's something that younger gamers or people who aren't just weird nerds can't tell the difference - kind of like how an ol' fogey knows the mojo of a tube amp but someone who started with amp sims just isn't looking for the same feel - like it's hard to know to look for something you've never experienced and that is difficult to articulate.

I'm looking at a video of gameplay now, and I can immediately spot things like the edge-detect effect around models, and a number of objects that are meant to be 2d looking but kinda look to me like 3d objects composited together - like the speech bubble icon is not a sprite, it's a white... thing?... with an exclamation point on top of it that don't always round to the same position so the two objects kinda jitter in relation to eachother.

They're perfectly fine - these aren't the details that "matter" - I just can't not see them.
I agree. I started playing A Short Hike yesterday and enjoyed it, but the look is a bit disconcerting in a way I don't have the technical understanding to express. Then I was watching my friend play Animal Well today and it was a lot more authentic feeling.

Have you played Balatro? It has a bunch of graphical sliders in the menu.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Late to the party, but I finally got a computer capable of running D2 Resurrected so I've been playing that. Battle.net is a mess of bots and spammers just like the good ol days, I mostly play single player/self-found. It's a bummer they took away TCP/IP functionality and made it all online, but ultimately that's probably good for me because it means I just won't get sucked in as hard. Got a summoner necro to hell and farmed up the standard "caster starter kit" runewords along the way (Spirit, Insight, Rhyme, Lore, Stealth), parked him for the time being and building up a MF blizzy sorc now.

The Terror Zones are a cool new feature and add some variety (and xp gain) to spamming Mephisto, if there's a convenient waypoint I'll usually go blast whatever named monster is in the TZ after killing meph.

pahulkster

Reaction score
Last week, I restarted Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on my Xbox 360. It's an original Xbox game, but I found it on the Xbox Marketplace for $30 back in 2016.

View attachment 145549

I feel like a kid again haha

I picked a hilarious name as well... :lol: :lol: :lol:

View attachment 145550
lol. I play KOTOR once or twice a year. Bought my original Xbox just to play it and still love every second of that game.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
lol. I play KOTOR once or twice a year. Bought my original Xbox just to play it and still love every second of that game.

I brought my original Xbox to British Columbia from the Canadian Arctic, but the disc was scratched.

So fast forward a few years and I found the game on the Xbox Marketplace and bought it.

No loading problems, I can play the game anytime I want on my old Xbox 360, without any loading issues. I still play the Dark Side of the Force.

I just wish that I could play the Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City games on it.