What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I'm in the minority here of those who are excited about Doom: The Dark Ages. I'm hyped as fuck for it. That and Clair Obscur: Expedition 33.
I've read they're going back to a more "every bullet counts" ethos like 2016 had (as opposed to almost forced weapon and ammo choice of Eternal). That's raised my excitement a bit. The Sekiro player in me is intrigued at how far they're going to take the parrying mechanic with the shield as well haha. In the trailer it looks like the Hell Knight gets stunned for a little while after being parried.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've read they're going back to a more "every bullet counts" ethos like 2016 had (as opposed to almost forced weapon and ammo choice of Eternal). That's raised my excitement a bit. The Sekiro player in me is intrigued at how far they're going to take the parrying mechanic with the shield as well haha. In the trailer it looks like the Hell Knight gets stunned for a little while after being parried.

Yep, and it looks like for something of a grappling system, they give you a morningstar. Me? I love the idea of Doomguy in different times, different eras, with his surroundings reflecting that. And a fucking gun that crushes skulls and shoots out shards?! Sign me up! I'm more than happy with what I've seen. And I mean, hell, in Doom Eternal, you had to time your shots with the Marauder's green eyes, and that's not too far off from the parry system in Bloodborne. Plus, let's be real... only the fucking Doomslayer would equip a shield for the purpose of causing that much more carnage and mayhem. They found a way to not only make the chainsaw into a defense weapon, but also a long range weapon. Sweet. :)

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Bioware hasn't made a good game since ME2 and a truly great game since Jade Empire imo.
I haven't played any of the Dragon Ages but I have the old ones on Steam, but I loved ME3's game plays, despite the disappointing "choose your own ending" debacle, but yeah ME2 was the peak of the series. Andrommeda was disappointing and hollow, and then what the fucking fuck was Anthem even? Who asked for that game??

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
My all-time favorite Bioware game is a toss-up between Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age: Origins, but I'm so burned out on how awful the company has been for the past, like, decade at this point that I've pretty much given up on seeing the Dragon Age series to the end. I haven't even watched the new trailer.

A while back in the thread I mentioned how incredibly excited I was for Dragon's Dogma II, and, despite the awful PC performance for some people and the other controversies... It's one of my favorite games of all time. It blew my mind at every turn, in the way people talked about Elden Ring when that came out (which I also love a lot, but it never really knocked me out in that way).

Just finished up a few playthroughs of Brigandine: Legend of Runersia and I'm trying to figure out what to play next. Maybe I'll jump back into the Fear & Hunger universe and finally get around to playing the second one, Termina. Love the first game.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I beat GOW3 pretty quickly on Normal mode, and since there's no NG+ version (SOMEHOW!) I'm not gonna bother doing a new playthru on easy mode just to get some of the trophies I missed (I missed enough red orbs to not upgrade all my weapons somehow, which seems insane, but what do I know?).

So, I moved on and picked up a couple "press forward to win" shooters for dirt cheap during Summer Game Fest sale, namely Battlefield 4 and Titanfall 2 - the latter of which is my all-time favorite multiplayer. Some of the missions in BF4 are quite annoying, not overall, just that you'll get to one particular portion and be forced to move in a way you wouldn't expect to have to; for instance, in mission 3, theres a portion where you're fighting bad guys on a ship deck, exposed to the sea/air/etc, and you take fire from your side, BUT, if you scan for enemies in that area with the binoculars? Fucking nothing! Nothing shows up from the direction of the shot, it's just arbitrary forced difficulty that I guess they didn't expect you to try and figure out where it's coming from? Also, if you try to immediately push up to avoid it, you're punished by a scripted falling environment that kills a few enemies for free but also you, so that's fun.

I will say in DICE's credit though, the guns do feel better to shoot than a COD game which is just, pretty weightless in general, as if they're all airsoft guns; however, the drawback is that they're also incredibly poor with TTK (time to kill) for an enemy, and every guy seems to take 3-5 bursts of rounds which feels like a lot, especially if I land a headshot on him from the get-go and waiting for the recoil to compensate so I can accurately land a shot.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
My roommate got me hooked on Battle Brothers on his PS5. Extremely punishing turn-based strategy RPG. I've never had so much fun getting my shit kicked over and over by a video game.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Officially done with DS2! I defeated the king's pets on my first attempt somehow, actually it was my first proper attempt at all of the friggin' outskirts... It was a bit tedious, sure, but tbh it was such a short trip that I didn't mind doing it. Would've probably been a different story if I had died in there.

Then I checked and noticed I had missed a few bonfires here and there, so I went and found them. One was right on top of the boss at Earthen Peak - goddamnit that would've been useful to have when I was actually at that point! And also the third bonfire in Dragon's Sanctum, that would've cut down my runback to the Dragon's Rest a whole lot!

And then there was the second bonfire in The Gutter, which was just completely useless.

Oh yeah and my total death count? 1068 :lol: Could've easily avoided half of those by not trying to go too fast, but whatever :lol:

So I guess now I'm off to Sekiro-land. Wish me luck :lol:

Last edited:

Jynx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn! Just noticed Shadow of the Erdtree is this weekend!

Time to start a new game and get it ready for the update on Friday.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I think Aerith and Tifa both come off much better in rebirth. Remake had bad dialogue in comparison.

I haven't found the motivation to really dig into Rebirth but I saw a clip shared on insta where Aerith and Tifa show up in bikinis, and Tifa leans forward with a ton of male gaze camera work. The comments section was a shitshow. But in general I hope the anime tropey fanfare is at a minimum. They're not triangle-chested lego characters anymore.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I stopped play Kuraudo Sutoraifu and the Mentally Challenged Bunch after episode 9.

I liked the game at first but after that every time I picked up the controller automatically felt like I’d rather be doing something else. I ended up watching some movies or just went to sleep half of the time so I figured I’d just stop playing. The game looks fantastic IMO, and it plays well enough, but I couldn’t care less about the story or characters. Maybe if I played this when I was a teenager I’d find it more interesting I don’t know.

Finding something interesting to play has been a challenge this past few months and not because a lack of games in my backlog. Maybe I‘ll be more interested when they release a new Yakuza or GTA :lol:

FloridaST

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been playing Hell Divers 2 and it's pretty fun. Otherwise I haven't played much, I actually just got a new guitar so I can spend LESS time on the PC. :lol:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Anyone watch the Direct? Metroid Prime 4 finally has a release window, and there's 2D Zelda where you actually play as Zelda. Colour me slightly interested in Nintendo again until the Switch 2 or whatever it'll be called happens.

A thought I had watching it though..... Is Prime 4 on the new hardware? Look at the rest of the games in the presentation: simplified, toon-y, some of them aliased messes, but the Prime preview? If that was live rendered, it was smooth, it was shiny, it was well lit, and it wasn't stuttering to accomplish it. That makes me.... suspicious.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Anyone watch the Direct? Metroid Prime 4 finally has a release window, and there's 2D Zelda where you actually play as Zelda. Colour me slightly interested in Nintendo again until the Switch 2 or whatever it'll be called happens.

A thought I had watching it though..... Is Prime 4 on the new hardware? Look at the rest of the games in the presentation: simplified, toon-y, some of them aliased messes, but the Prime preview? If that was live rendered, it was smooth, it was shiny, it was well lit, and it wasn't stuttering to accomplish it. That makes me.... suspicious.

According to this it's coming to the (current) Nintendo Switch. Must be pre-rendered, or maybe it's running on the new hardware. Who knows, maybe they're really good developers :lol:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Yeah, on a second look, I guess I don't see anything a switch couldn't do, it just stands in stark contrast to the rest of the presentation. Maybe they are just really good at what they do.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Echoes of Wisdom has certainly got me intrigued. Between this and Fantasian Neo Dimension (damn these JRPG names), will be something I'll have to look out for.

EDIT: The Romancing SaGa 2 remake caught me completely off guard. As one of the 5 mutants who enjoy the SaGa games I'm looking forward to this. Though I should play that recent one that was just released some time back...

Last edited: