What guitars are a mix between a Les Paul and a Superstrat?

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Not my first choice, but I'd also throw in the Carvin/Keisel options.

Select the appropriate body and neck materials. They already have the 25 inch scale length as well. Their shapes, because they are flat-ER on the top, may feel similar to strats.
they do have various pickup configurations too.

now, mind you, if you are to narrowly define 'strat' as ONLY a 'bolt on neck with a pickguard and SSH or SSS configuration' then you'd be quickly disappointed in G&L and Fender options. They may have other options that include P90's, or humbuckers, or just a single coil pickup or other things that would disqualify a 'strat' from being a 'strat' based on your definition.

to me, a strat is a shape. Dont care what the pickups, or the bridge, or the construction etc is. IF it looks like a strat, plays like a strat, smells like a strat, acts like a strat, its not a les paul, or a V, or a tele, or explorer, or whatever. Its a strat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
set neck, humbuckers, belly carve, fender scale, mahogany body and neck, carved maple top.

this is close, while not a strat , its a tele , it kinda fits the criteria. not sure if anyone posted this already, didnt see it scrolling through the thread quickly. no whammy, but its is a LP/fender hybrid all the way

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The shape is uh pretty important in defining superstrats, les pauls and others :lol:

Yes, but again, everything BUT the body says "Les Paul" and even the body of a Dominion isn't super-strat so I'm not sure what part of it DOES make you think that? I could see if it had a 25.5" scale or Floyd, something, but it's got none of that, it's literally just a wonky LP.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
DA34FDA7-B8AB-4373-816F-BA208E0A2262.jpeg

B.C. Rich Eagle JE series. Gibson scale, kind of LP-ish-esque shaped (maybe?) but it's double cut, has a 3x3 headstock. I've always thought of the eagle as B.C. Rich's take on an LP, and then this one has a Floyd so there ya go.

Fret access on this is great btw. Better than the actual superstrats that I have.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I think Paul Reed Smith explained in one of his interviews that his guitars is a compromise between a stratocaster and a Les Paul giving us the best of both worlds.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I didn't see Caparison mentioned yet, nor Gibson's use of neck angle as part of their distinctive feel.

The Horus is a superstrat using Gibson's scale length (24.75"). However, of all Caparison's guitars, the Through-and-Through (TAT) is probably a better match for a Gibson in spite of its 25.5" scale length. The TATs are archtops, often have TOM bridges, are set-neck/neckthrough rather than bolt-on, and are built with a neck angle similar to Gibson's Les Pauls.

Diagram showing what I mean by neck angle below (Caparison TAT on top, Dellinger on bottom).

neck_angle.png

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad someone mentioned neck angle, I feel like other than scale length and ToM bridge that is one of the important factors to consider.

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
Has no one mentioned a C-1, or did I just miss it? These are amazing for the price.

mbardu

Reaction score
I had a very similar search a few years back.
No matter how often I tried, I ended up disappointed in all variations of ESP/LTD/Edwards Mavericks for some reason, but the Caparison Horus got pretty close.
In the end a few things ended up bothering me though, so I ended up going custom with Vandermeij and that was my best guitar decision of all times.
Has cured my very bad GAS habit for the last 2 years.

It's got the PRS 594 scale, in my eyes plays ever so slightly better than my favorite Suhr/Anderson (the scale length for one, but also set neck and small things like blind fret slots, neck access etc).

And at that scale length, with BKPs and a heavy tone block, the sound is all Ooomph.

VandsmDSC05425.JPG