What guitars are a mix between a Les Paul and a Superstrat?

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You know, if it doesn't exist, you design it 😉

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
USA Jackson Archtops are exactly that. The bodies are as thick as a Les Paul:

Jackson AT-1 was bolt on, but there are some variations and CS models of course. The standard bolt-on models can often be found very cheap used:

Or perhaps the Swee-Tone is more in line of what you're looking for:

5406a9386bf3c70505f55193ad882641.jpg

ibw1advng4kxc3k2kcqp.jpg

aeee27e8988a8db7d6895e245bf8634a.jpg

ennycyknf4vzjc33oorz.jpg

na5c5yvofphtymjta07m.jpg

Last edited:

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I'm still thinking EBMM Sabre is a sold option. I wish I could do a mashup between these two guitars. Honeysuckle body with neck and hardware from the green one.

AED4D9D4-3E15-4253-8F2E-327756CCB0EF.png

9D548380-BC1D-4372-9350-FB34CC8E8607.png

nickgray

Reaction score
The heel on the recent ones makes you put your thumb beneath the 15th fret and it's carved quite nicely, so the upper fret access is actually pretty good. Better than on old square heel Ibanez, but worse than on AANJ. I guess if they improved the upper fret access even more (there's only a little bit required, it's 85% there I'd say) and maybe introduce a forearm bevel (or a forearm contour, but hey, it's ESP, they don't like those unless it's an M), which they did actually have on some Eclipse models, and a more ergonomic belly cut, it'll be a SuperLP for sure. It practically is, anyway.

Oh, and a wider lower... what's it called, where the leg rests. It's fine, but it could be improved a little, LP shapes are just too narrow there, a lot of the weight rests on that lower horn section which is a bit annoying. I'm sure it can be improved upon. But it's not a huge issue, it's a reasonably comfortable design.

original_46_2000x733.jpg

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
No BC Rich Mockingbird???

aesthetics, construction, and overall basic tones from an LP with the 2hum neck through/set neck/mahogany body maple neck maple top, usually 3x3 headstock, and top carve, plus short scale

playability and hot rodded features from a super strat with the switching, trem, thin, flat, wide neck, high output bridge pickup usually

It feels like an LP designed by someone who really liked playing 80s Jacksons

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
No BC Rich Mockingbird???

aesthetics, construction, and overall basic tones from an LP with the 2hum neck through/set neck/mahogany body maple neck maple top, usually 3x3 headstock, and top carve, plus short scale

playability and hot rodded features from a super strat with the switching, trem, thin, flat, wide neck, high output bridge pickup usually

It feels like an LP designed by someone who really liked playing 80s Jacksons
I can't stand the look of most modern BC Rich guitars and the Mockingbird is no exception. I feel like they had much more "normal" looking stuff when I first became aware of them in the mid-late 80s?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Has no one mentioned a C-1, or did I just miss it? These are amazing for the price.

Whoops, yeah these skipped my mind. Short scale, mahogany/mahogany construction, tune o matic bridge... Pretty much perfect.

tedtan

Reaction score
I can't stand the look of most modern BC Rich guitars and the Mockingbird is no exception. I feel like they had much more "normal" looking stuff when I first became aware of them in the mid-late 80s?
The mockingbird has been in production since the mid 70s, so maybe you just overlooked it in the 80s.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I'm still thinking EBMM Sabre is a sold option. I wish I could do a mashup between these two guitars. Honeysuckle body with neck and hardware from the green one.

View attachment 123608
View attachment 123609
ehh.. this is really more or less just a strat with a mahogany body and maple top. a bolt neck and all the wood removed for the routes of the trem really get this pretty far away from having anything in common with what gives the les paul its signature mojo . granted any guitar with original gibson humbuckers is going to sound more like a classic les paul than anything based soley on tonewoods and construction

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I like to think that the EVH / Peavey / whateverbrand Wolfgang is kind of there.

I have one, and I know it isn't a Les Paul, but it can pass as a Les Paul sound-wise... always depending on what you think a Les Paul sounds like.

I also use that as an excuse not to buy a Gibson Les Paul :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I like to think that the EVH / Peavey / whateverbrand Wolfgang is kind of there.

I have one, and I know it isn't a Les Paul, but it can pass as a Les Paul sound-wise... always depending on what you think a Les Paul sounds like.

I also use that as an excuse not to buy a Gibson Les Paul :lol:
Join us.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The whole ethos behind Steve Lukather and EBMM designing his Luke guitars was to combine a Les Paul and a Strat.
Well, I have a Luke II and it's nothing like either.
It has very small frets and a V neck with EMG pickups so... I love it, but it's nothing like either a strat or LP in terms of playing and ergonomics. It's closer to a strat than a LP because the bridge isn't a TOM.