What is your fave Led Zeppelin album?

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
II & IV for me studio wise and I love the BBC Sessions Album too
As others have said the rest float in and out depending on my tastes at the time

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Don't you mean Achilles First Stand? :rofl:

As old as I'm getting I'm just glad it stands at all anymore! HEY-O!

Lol wasn't my first time but it's funny how seasonal memories get locked in... The whole Presence album will always feel like winter to me.

Anyone else used to have that ENORMOUS Zeppelin poster lol?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
As old as I'm getting I'm just glad it stands at all anymore! HEY-O!

Lol wasn't my first time but it's funny how seasonal memories get locked in... The whole Presence album will always feel like winter to me.

Anyone else used to have that ENORMOUS Zeppelin poster lol?
Hahaha. Awesome, dude.

For me, Led Zeppelin took forever for me to get into. Even when it started to click, I still didn't care much for Robert Plant busting a nut during the bridge in -- at least to me, anyways -- every single song. I was like, "Ugh. I'd like this more if he didn't moan and scream and shit." After awhile, I got more into it, and I think being under the delusion that, "Wow, Vinnie Vincent is a great player" (which is isn't) got me into Led Zeppelin. Listen to Mark Slaughter pretend he's Robert on Ashes to Ashes. After listening to that horse shit for far too long, I eventually went, "Wow, you know, Vinnie isn't all that great of a songwriter -- or a player, for that matter!" As a result, I liked Robert Plant by comparison, because at least he wasn't as lame as Slaughter. Now I love most of LZ's discography.

I think the first instrument I got into was the drums -- Bonham is drummer extraordinaire. Then I realized, "Damn, Jimmy's great." His solos are great. Then the bass was next, realizing, "Since Bonham isn't your typical 4/4 drummer holding the beat, JPJ actually has a harder job than most bassists, because most bassists can sorta lean on the drummer and vice versa to stay in the pocket." Finally, like I said, giving it more time, and forcing myself to listen to All System Go with various Mark slaughters Plant attempts, I started liking Plant more and more. Took quite a long fucking time, though.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Oh, and by the way: I originally wanted to be a drummer as a kid because someone older than me had a kit when I was like 6 and would let me play; I eventually got a little kids version that I played for a few months until it got beat to shit. Then I saw a bootleg VHS of KISS live, and wanted to even more so because of Peter. But, since drums do not have a volume knob and a real kit is expensive as shit, I started gravitating towards guitar and wanted one for four years or so before I was finally able to get one at age 14. Just thought I'd clarify why I liked Bonham first.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a tough choice. III had some great acoustic stuff but I could never groove with Hats Off to Roy Harper, personally. Houses of the Holy is really eclectic, but ever since I found out some of the songs were sped up, I've developed more meh feeling about that one. Presence has a few excellent tracks, but sometimes you can hear the band drifting apart...

I'm going to have to go with Physical Graffiti. I know, I know, it's long. But some of the longer songs are some of their best. In My Time of Dying is arguably the bluesiest song. Trampled Under Foot is possibly the first funkmetal song, the Wanton Song has some of the weirdest chords yet still has a great groove, and Kashmir is just so fucking epic. In the Light is really unique; I love the groove and the drone parts were pretty bold for them to do that way. The outtakes from old albums were all fantastic, too - the fact that the title track from Houses of the Holy made it on here but not on the actual title album, and is still a fantastic song is puzzling...although Houses of the Holy (the album) is still right up there for me, now that I think about it.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with...

I
II
III
IV
Houses Of The Holy
Physical Graffiti
Presence
In Through The Out Door
Coda

... in that order.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
I have to give the top pick to IV but that's just because When the Levee Breaks is just unreal, and then obviously many other good tracks.

Presence is a close second, Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But my Own are both amazing tracks.

Love all things Zeppelin including live stuff, but those three tracks just stand out in my mind. Although the first time I heard Whole Lotta Love, when Page comes back in with the solo, it blew my fucking mind so hard.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
I have to give the top pick to IV but that's just because When the Levee Breaks is just unreal, and then obviously many other good tracks.

Presence is a close second, Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But my Own are both amazing tracks.

Love all things Zeppelin including live stuff, but those three tracks just stand out in my mind. Although the first time I heard Whole Lotta Love, when Page comes back in with the solo, it blew my fucking mind so hard.

Yeah, IV could've been tied with I-III for me, but When the Levee Breaks is literally the greatest song of all time, so that pushes it over the top.

nyxzz

Reaction score
I have good memories of watching the below DVD a lot with my dad when I was a kid. I also remember that when he was driving me and my friends to baseball practice or the skatepark, he'd listen to How the West Was Won pretty often. If he'd get out of the car to get gas or something, he'd always restart the song when he got back in, even if it was one of those twenty something minute jams. It was torture when that happened, but looking back now it's pretty fucking funny.

Now that I've rambled on, IV is my favorite, then any of I-III. Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti had some cool stuff too, but I think I like the live versions of songs like The Ocean more. Don't really like In Through the Out Door, but In the Evening fucking jams.

91mhdW-5MCL._SY445_.jpg

I bought this on a whim at barnes and noble when I was like 13 and it blew my mind, it was my first introduction to led zeppelin. If there is anyone who is a zep fan who hasn't watched this, I highly recommend

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
Initially its a toss up between II and IV but IV has Going to California which is my favorite song of theirs so I'll give it to IV. Slightly off topic, but I heard Hey Hey What Can I Do on shuffle recently and I was reminded of my earliest (oddly specific) memory which was hearing that song on the radio while I was sitting on my living room floor playing Super Mario 64, in one of the sand levels.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I grew up on Zeppelin. My dad gave me original copies of I and II. I remember when I heard the opening riff to Heartbreaker...I was stunned. I had never heard music like that before (I was 9). After that I wanted to learn how to play guitar. :D

My favorite is probably Physical Graffitti - man Bonham's kit is just devastating on this record. In My Time Of Dying, In The Light, The Wanton Song absolutely crushed. I really feel this is when Zeppelin was at their most creative.

Second favorite is Presence. Recorded in Munich in like 3 weeks I think. This record was when stuff kinda started to go a little sideways for them. Plant was stuck in a wheelchair due to his accident and they had to cancel their tour. Instead of wasting all the energy that was to go into the tour cycle they decided to record an album. Achilles's Last Stand, For Your Life, and Royal Orleans kill on this record. The album is so cohesive and brutal.

Third favorite is Houses Of The Holy. Song Remains The Same?...are you kidding? what an opener! Right into the Rain Song. Such great writing on this record. The first side is kind of considered an informal suite of music. Each tune has elements of the other. Whether they share a key, a riff or a rhythm, you can hear similarities throughout.

Yeah I'm a fan...can you tell? :D

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Oh, man. Heartbreaker is great, and I hear lots of little things that Ace has built a career off of in that solo. But even still, Ace still sounds like himself and that doesn't diminish Jimmy Page's greatness. In fact, I think it adds to it.