What is your favorite Non-Gibson Les Paul?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
I recently picked up a MI-Japan LP from ~1987

I made an overly nerdy post about it and have more to come!

This thread for the NGD

817c1408-8c3e-4a08-baaa-a613adb74dda.jpg
5623c44f-5440-4604-9bf7-d18444dca00b.jpg
fdxv5hctoacywcgnycbe.jpg
ktbnujntfiepmhzikzsu.jpg

uni777

Reaction score
For me this one. Wanted a LP with a Floyd which was basicly the brother to my Sykes. Bought it for the Floyd not the sustainer. When not used in susutainer mode the neckpup was pretty muddy and the bridge was not that great either. So i gutted it and installed the same electronics as my Sykes has. Also added a second volume. See the after mod guitar in the other pictures.

IMG-20200708-WA0016.jpg
IMG-20210420-WA0013.jpg
LPline.jpg

BTW, a bit late, but a 'thank you' to Lewis for some staining tips concerning this one.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
LTD AS-1 FR: Les Paul style + Floyd + improved heel without the Gibson Axcess price tag and the Skolnick tramp stamp or flag inlays. Comes with a HSC too.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Agile AL-2000 Baritone

I've had two PRS Mushoks and a Gibson Bari SG during the time I have owned this, and they've all gone while it's stayed. I won't say it's a better guitar than the other ones, but the guitar-per-dollar here can't be beat. I can play it fearlessly, and it's got years of my literal blood and sweat in its crevices. All other things aside, this is my guitar, it's seen me through many of the most formative and intense performances of my life.

Right now it's got an Avedissian Night Prowler and BKP Supermassive (it Most Certainly Is), each of which cost more than the guitar did new. They sound great but also I thought it would be funny. SD Distortion quacked like a duck in the bridge and I hated it. Had some cheap Dragonfire P90s before that were totally okay.

I have fought this guitar a lot. Replaced lots of hardware, basically everything but the tailpiece and tuners, which I actually like a lot. I broke a lot of it before I replaced it, I'm hard on my stuff. I have groused about the bridge H/B position and tried to "upgrade" to the Mushok and SG to mediate that issue, always to find this guitar had better sustain, neck feel, and all-important familiarity. I've finally gotten to a point where I'm happy with the sounds I get out of it. The muddy bridge is part of its uniqueness, and I have come to love it for its idiosyncrasies, even the weirdly-matched wood top.

I would never sell it, it's worth far more to me than it ever would be to anyone else, but I do get a laugh imagining how much I might be able to ask for it on Reverb right now with the Adam jones sigs out.

188366826_2915802375339793_355288206009330827_n.jpg

Here's a clip in Drop A. Signal chain is bridge>Arrows>BBRI RAT>Rat King(ha ha rodent go brrrrrrrrrr)>Pharaoh>X100b>laundry

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I bought this Dean USA Soltero a few years back. A seriously good guitar, excellent build quality and sounds immense! Really cool soft V neck profile...very comfy. Downside: Bit of a back breaker coming in at 11.2lbs. The USA models were limited to 100 pieces and can be very pricey. The Japanese built Soltero's are a great option and way more easier on your wallet.

1dean (2).jpg

1dean2 (2).jpg

soliloquy

Reaction score
I bought this Dean USA Soltero a few years back. A seriously good guitar, excellent build quality and sounds immense! Really cool soft V neck profile...very comfy. Downside: Bit of a back breaker coming in at 11.2lbs. The USA models were limited to 100 pieces and can be very pricey. The Japanese built Soltero's are a great option and way more easier on your wallet.

View attachment 93874
View attachment 93875

A thousand times yes on the solteros!!

I really wish Dean still made those. And the Japanese ones are super hard to find.

I had a Korean solteros which was pretty awesome, just th hard v neck was really weird. The Japanese have Rounded neck, but alas, far too difficult to find :-/

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
It's been a huge dream of mine to own a Black Gibson Les Paul Custom, never saw myself spending that kind of cash so I went with a Greco LP Custom style, super sick guitar. Added locking tuners, a string butler so the strings could pass straight through the nut, and that's been a huge difference in tuning, It's currently a 1 pickup 1 volume 1 tone, the rest are dummy parts. Bridge pickup is a cheap Dragonfire Screamer which is surprisingly not bad. This one has small frets, which I didn't like at first, but now I got used to them... still wouldn't mind if it got a refret with big jumbo frets.
imageedit_1_4735513418.jpg

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Bridge pickup is a cheap Dragonfire Screamer which is surprisingly not bad.

I have bought two sets of their p90s over the years, they're nothing special but shockingly decent sounding for the price.

Nice looking blacktop. I did always like the black beauty, I bet it'd look real swell in matte.

Huzee

Reaction score
Love my expensive LP’s but my PRS 594 blows all them away - and I was never a PRS fan until the 594.