What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
After being very happy with the quality of my first BHL picks and learning what I needed to learn from using them... I got the mother of all picks:
20240607_190304.jpg

A Wizard Pro. I think its a 4mm pick, with a fully contoured tip. The material is something he calls T-2N, which I think is Torlon mixed in with some other material. Much better grip than my Torlon pick, thanks to the material AND the holes. This thing freaking flies, and hopefully won't wear down for a while. They ain't cheap. 😅

You know, they always say that getting new gear won't make you a better player... except a pick. The right pick will absolutely let you play with MUCH more ease. And after going through a gazillion different picks, including custom ones... this one is a contender for the very top. Let's see how I deal with the thickness long term.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So I finally ordered the PRS SE CE

But it wasn't the sunburst one. Ended up getting a Standard in red. Just to have the whole set. :lol:

10-3_544b7426-89d5-4ac6-b595-81691ccdc6ff_1800x1800.jpg

EDIT: anyone ever tried any aftermarket trems in SEs? I'm thinking about going stealth with the hardware and blacking it out. I see Musiclily makes one in all black. Judging by the quick reading I saw they do SEEM to fit? Cool future project idea.

Last edited:

CrystalSky

Reaction score
After being very happy with the quality of my first BHL picks and learning what I needed to learn from using them... I got the mother of all picks:
View attachment 144786

A Wizard Pro. I think its a 4mm pick, with a fully contoured tip. The material is something he calls T-2N, which I think is Torlon mixed in with some other material. Much better grip than my Torlon pick, thanks to the material AND the holes. This thing freaking flies, and hopefully won't wear down for a while. They ain't cheap. 😅

You know, they always say that getting new gear won't make you a better player... except a pick. The right pick will absolutely let you play with MUCH more ease. And after going through a gazillion different picks, including custom ones... this one is a contender for the very top. Let's see how I deal with the thickness long term.
Have you tried Dunlop Flow 420? Might work as a more affordable substitute

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Now that I’m finally waking up to PRS, I’m terribly afraid of the extensive rabbit cave system I’ve stumbled upon with my one innocent little SE Custom 24-08. A McCarty can’t be far off.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Well since somebody had to bring up the phaser + wah effect from Powerslave I'm looking into phasers. I don't even like effects, but with all the 80-90s guitar I'm listening to I guess I need a Univibe now. Gonna rip some sick Whitney Houston solos out.

CrystalSky

Reaction score
Oooh, forgot about those. I have been exclusively using 2 mm flows for a while now but before those were my favorite.
These BHL are on the pricier side right?

I wanted to try 420 just for lulz, but they sell for $5 bucks for one pick and that is too much of a markup if you ask me.

I am perfectly fine with my green Tortex and TIIIs

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These BHL are on the pricier side right?

I wanted to try 420 just for lulz, but they sell for $5 bucks for one pick and that is too much of a markup if you ask me.

I am perfectly fine with my green Tortex and TIIIs
The key for those expensive picks is to get them as gifts. Christmas, birthdays, etc. My favorite pick is the Bluechip IBJ55 but it's crazy expensive. Super durable though and I have like three of them - basically a lifetime's supply with how long they last - because I just ask for one come Christmas or whatever.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Now that I’m finally waking up to PRS, I’m terribly afraid of the extensive rabbit cave system I’ve stumbled upon with my one innocent little SE Custom 24-08. A McCarty can’t be far off.
Buy used and pay maybe half of the sticker price of one :yesway: my only brand new prs were SE’s.

CrystalSky

Reaction score
The key for those expensive picks is to get them as gifts. Christmas, birthdays, etc. My favorite pick is the Bluechip IBJ55 but it's crazy expensive. Super durable though and I have like three of them - basically a lifetime's supply with how long they last - because I just ask for one come Christmas or whatever.
We don’t have them here and shipping is ass to these parts lol

But my favorites are Tortex Greens and I have enough of them, so I’m good

Shask

Reaction score
Well since somebody had to bring up the phaser + wah effect from Powerslave I'm looking into phasers. I don't even like effects, but with all the 80-90s guitar I'm listening to I guess I need a Univibe now. Gonna rip some sick Whitney Houston solos out.
Grab a cheap Shaky Jimi pedal :D

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Buy used and pay maybe half of the sticker price of one :yesway: my only brand new prs were SE’s.
Too much time spent looking around for a top I like among somebody else’s leftovers. Not my scene.

You are going to look like a nerd... or worse - a lawyer.
It doesn’t matter what you look like when you’ll play only after you’ve locked yourself in a soundproofed room and smashed all the mirrors.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Too much time spent looking around for a top I like among somebody else’s leftovers. Not my scene.
thats not what it is at all :lol: a lot of people who buy high end guitars sell frequently to try other high end guitars. Feel free to pay double for a new one though!

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
thats not what it is at all :lol: a lot of people who buy high end guitars sell frequently to try other high end guitars. Feel free to pay double for a new one though!
I don’t buy truly high-end guitars, so it’s not much of a factor for me. I buy used only when it’s a seller I trust, or it’s in person, or it’s not a lot of money. If I went around trying to buy used high-end guitars, I’d probably end up with more than my fair share of fakes and problem guitars that the real wheeler-dealers are unloading.

I also don’t buy as many guitars as a lot of people seem to. I don’t buy to try; I buy to keep, and if I plan to keep something, I’d rather buy new.

Last edited: