What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly, these days, I am moving more towards buying new exclusively on the guitar front unless I can buy locally from a trusted friend, or used from a trusted store like AP or something. I'll buy beaters to fix up off Reverb or GC, but I've been STUNNED by how badly abused some pricey guitars are. I'm not talking play wear - that's fine as long as it's described - I'm talking $3k+ guitars that have gouges out of them and smell like they were stored in a kennel.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well the good news is that, since I’ve tasted of the PRS Kool-Aid, I’m going to be getting more. I’ll stay away from the used stuff, so there will be less competition for them, somebody will build more guitars, Paul and Sweetwater will pick up a few extra dollars, and I won’t end up with some abused cast-off from Reverb with a broken neck that somebody put back on with a staple gun and a roll of packing tape. Everyone’s happy.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried Dunlop Flow 420? Might work as a more affordable substitute
I haven't tried the 420s, but I did use the 3 mm Gloss ones for a while. I really liked them but they started to feel like they were rotating around the divot in the middle while I gripped them. I should probably give them a shot again. I used the Petrucci Flows for some time also. Really cool pick, but it was a little slippery.

My favorite "normal" picks are Primetone Jazz IIIs, but they wear down SUPER quickly, and I generally like to have a pointy pick. I've started growing accustomed to thicker picks once again and got into the 2 mm Jazz IIIs for some time, but they have too sharp and aggressive of an attack, not to mention they're a little concave which makes me feel like I have to grip them extra hard.

I got a pair of Winspears in like 2014, a Sandstorm (which I think was PEEK?) and an Ice Grip (UHMWPE) Shiv. I never got along with the wedge shape and the thick emblem embedded in them. They'd slip out of my hands a lot, although they sounded great and would glide over the strings very well. The UHMWPE seemed to last forever. Sadly I lost the Sandstorm during a move. Maybe I'll grab my now dirty as fuck Ice Grip, remove the emblem (which I've tried before to no avail), and drill some holes on it.

These fancy BHLs were mainly just a curiosity of mine to try more exotic materials. To my wallet's horror, I ended up really loving them for their shape. The shape seems really well considered. They are mostly flat and have the slightest taper on both faces down towards the back of the pick that almost makes them feel like a thinner pick while keeping your grip at the thickest part of the pick anyway. I have a 3mm in Torlon and another one in Ultem that I got from him a few months ago. The Torlon is super cool, but it is a little slippery. The Ultem is MUCH grippier and sounds a lot nicer (warmer), but I fear it'll wear faster. The T-2N sounded like a nice in between, and so far it is. Feels super solid. Even grippier than the Ultem, with the durability and the brighter sound of the Torlon. Then the holes give it like twice the grip. Maybe one day I'll also drill holes through the Torlon and the Ultem.
20240608_205025.jpg

Unfortunately, they are all obscenely pricey... and like with all picks, it's hard to know what you're getting until you try it yourself. Sure, they are handmade, and that is super cool and partially how I justify it to myself, but they are just picks at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Whatever helps ya sleep. I bought a mint artist v for 2k usd because i buy used :yesway:
That’s great, but if people didn’t buy new guitars, there wouldn’t be any used ones. So I guess it’s a good thing that not everyone takes this particular piece of advice to heart. At the same time, I don’t think new guitars would sell as well as they do, and for the prices that we see the market supporting, if nobody bought used guitars and they were practically worthless on the used market. I think it’s fair to say that new buyers and used buyers need each other?

Last edited:

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
That’s great, but if people didn’t buy new guitars, there wouldn’t be any used ones. So I guess it’s a good thing that not everyone takes this particular piece of advice to heart.
Dude do what you want. If you're cool with either never selling your PRS or taking a minimum 1.5k hit if you do ever sell then go for it. I bought mine new, but I wouldn't do it again.

It sucks to say because they're so expensive and fancy, but they're pretty much a dime a dozen used in mint condition. It's the LP standard of the high-end world.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude do what you want. If you're cool with either never selling your PRS or taking a minimum 1.5k hit if you do ever sell then go for it. I bought mine new, but I wouldn't do it again.

It sucks to say because they're so expensive and fancy, but they're pretty much a dime a dozen used in mint condition. It's the LP standard of the high-end world.

I think even I might find it difficult to lose $1,500 selling a $950 guitar. To brutally honest, I’m getting on in years and am buying the guitars now that I wanted to play for the rest of my life, which is probably about as long as I’ve owned my RG270DX :lol:. I’m not really worried about losing value on the used market.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If we were talking "real" PRSes, then yeah definitely go used lmao. I'm sometimes still seeing pre-2009 Core-equivalent CE-series guitars pop up for under a grand and regularly pop up ~$1500 or less.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm talking $3k+ guitars that have gouges out of them and smell like they were stored in a kennel.
Honestly, this is one of my only peeves with used gear: it shows up and it smells like ass, or worse.

Bought a used pedal once and it reeked of patchouli. That's worse than ass. Had to bake the box in UV and it only knocked down the worse-than-ass smell like 50%. I fn hate patchouli.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My favorite "normal" picks are Primetone Jazz IIIs, but they wear down SUPER quickly, and I generally like to have a pointy pick. I've started growing accustomed to thicker picks once again and got into the 2 mm Jazz IIIs for some time, but they have too sharp and aggressive of an attack, not to mention they're a little concave which makes me feel like I have to grip them extra hard.
Gosh, I forgot about primetones. It's been years, but I dug those. Just looked at dunlop: there's a .73 AAL pick and a cool-ass Petrucci 1.38. Ugh, I need to try these.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Ordered two Marshall G12 Vintage speakers for the 3rd Mojotone British 412 I need to fill up with speakers. Plan to pair with either G12-65 or British G12T-75 speakers if I can find some.

CrystalSky

Reaction score
I haven't tried the 420s, but I did use the 3 mm Gloss ones for a while. I really liked them but they started to feel like they were rotating around the divot in the middle while I gripped them. I should probably give them a shot again. I used the Petrucci Flows for some time also. Really cool pick, but it was a little slippery.

I got a pair of Winspears in like 2014, a Sandstorm (which I think was PEEK?) and an Ice Grip (UHMWPE) Shiv. I never got along with the wedge shape and the thick emblem embedded in them. They'd slip out of my hands a lot, although they sounded great and would glide over the strings very well. The UHMWPE seemed to last forever. Sadly I lost the Sandstorm during a move. Maybe I'll grab my now dirty as fuck Ice Grip, remove the emblem (which I've tried before to no avail), and drill some holes on it.

These fancy BHLs were mainly just a curiosity of mine to try more exotic materials. To my wallet's horror, I ended up really loving them for their shape. The shape seems really well considered. They are mostly flat and have the slightest taper on both faces down towards the back of the pick that almost makes them feel like a thinner pick while keeping your grip at the thickest part of the pick anyway. I have a 3mm in Torlon and another one in Ultem that I got from him a few months ago. The Torlon is super cool, but it is a little slippery. The Ultem is MUCH grippier and sounds a lot nicer (warmer), but I fear it'll wear faster. The T-2N sounded like a nice in between, and so far it is. Feels super solid. Even grippier than the Ultem, with the durability and the brighter sound of the Torlon. Then the holes give it like twice the grip. Maybe one day I'll also drill holes through the Torlon and the Ultem.
View attachment 144857

Unfortunately, they are all obscenely pricey... and like with all picks, it's hard to know what you're getting until you try it yourself. Sure, they are handmade, and that is super cool and partially how I justify it to myself, but they are just picks at the end of the day.
I’m glad thay you are satisfied with them.

I usually thank god that I am okay with standart picks and don’t need to spend fortune on pricey ones 😂

Also I heard a lot of good things about Howling Monkey picks too, and they have kind of a pistol grip scaling on them for grip. You might like it judging by what I just read.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m glad thay you are satisfied with them.

I usually thank god that I am okay with standart picks and don’t need to spend fortune on pricey ones 😂

Also I heard a lot of good things about Howling Monkey picks too, and they have kind of a pistol grip scaling on them for grip. You might like it judging by what I just read.
Oh I'd heard of Howling Monkey but never looked into them. Just had a browse on their website and they look cool! Curious about the material they use. I may end up getting some soon enough. Thanks for the tip!

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Oh I'd heard of Howling Monkey but never looked into them. Just had a browse on their website and they look cool! Curious about the material they use. I may end up getting some soon enough. Thanks for the tip!
The tagua nut material is very soft and not that durable. They are pretty grippy picks ime