What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
Tried this one briefly in the store today while buying another guitar. Kinda sucks it doesn't have the roasted neck like the other contemporary series models but it still felt pretty nice. Maybe next month. :lol:

0370350544_sqr_ins_frt_1_rr.jpg
This dang color gets me every time I want one so baaaaad

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Tried this one briefly in the store today while buying another guitar. Kinda sucks it doesn't have the roasted neck like the other contemporary series models but it still felt pretty nice. Maybe next month. :lol:

0370350544_sqr_ins_frt_1_rr.jpg

Funny you mentioned trying one of these, if I were to pick up a backup for the Tele this was my #1 to look at. Shame it doesn't have the roasted maple, guess that means the white HT Strat moves up to top of the list then.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
What string gauge do you use for low tunings?

I'm thinking of trying 9-42 for E and 9-46 for Eb (with a 12 and 15 for B/G).
That's exactly what I use, except I use a stock 9 - 46 set for Eb.

Right now I got a 25.5'' guitar in drop C (d standard) with 10 - 48s, 25'' guitar with 11 - 56 strings in drop B (c# standard) although I'm gonna drop this down to 11 - 52 strings, and a 26.5'' guitar in drop A# (c standard) with 10 - 52 strings.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
That's exactly what I use, except I use a stock 9 - 46 set for Eb.

Right now I got a 25.5'' guitar in drop C (d standard) with 10 - 48s, 25'' guitar with 11 - 56 strings in drop B (c# standard), and a 26.5'' guitar in drop A# (c standard) with 10 - 52 strings.
An 11 would be far too light for A#. 9-12-15 and 10-13-16 (what I'm using now) are much more equal (roughly, anyways).

If memory serves, I had to use a round 4th for Drop B. Otherwise, it just sounded like the 4th string was always out of tune.

Using as light as you can is a good idea, as it is less for your hands to deal with, less to adjust to between guitars (changing scale lengths, tunings, gauge and tension is a lot for your hands to deal with), and makes a TS9 less necessary for EQing excess low end out.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned trying one of these, if I were to pick up a backup for the Tele this was my #1 to look at. Shame it doesn't have the roasted maple, guess that means the white HT Strat moves up to top of the list then.

Oh shit, I completely forgot about the weird double single-coil + single-coil models. Looks like I still have a lot to go for if I want to complete the series. :lol:

Edit: Shit, there's the active Jazzmaster too. Really should have gone with the Shoreline Gold for the Tele so that way I could have gotten all the finishes. :(

Bearitone

Reaction score
A friend is considering selling me his Orange Rocker 30... It's on my wishlist. Should I do it?
Is that the stereo 2x10 combo?
Would be a cool amp. That would totally be my test bed for mixing preamp pedals and dirt chains. Just so many possibilities with a stereo combo.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Was watching some old rig rundowns with Coheed, and as always seeing Trav's LPC made me curious if anyone has done a Black Beauty on a Tele. I found that and a white LPC variation, and oh boy do they not disappoint.

Thankfully the price is enough to keep me away, as this one is barely above what a Kiesel would cost to make. If only the Agile Custom Shop still existed!

vxr5yeqcx6qjmqjqh0tg.jpg

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
500k DPDT pot. Exciting, I know.

I grabbed another Legator headless 7, and the pickups are actually really nice. I was initially planning on doing a baseplate swap with something else, but after A/Bing these pickups on my go to patches I noticed I just want the guitar to be a bit brighter on the way in across the board. So, why not go the cheaper route and swap pots first? Plus getting coil split options makes me happy.

I just need to see if these are 4-conductor, or only 2. If they are 2-conductor I need to do some research on splitting them, because then I wouldn’t know where to start. :lol:

Reaction score
500k DPDT pot. Exciting, I know.

I grabbed another Legator headless 7, and the pickups are actually really nice. I was initially planning on doing a baseplate swap with something else, but after A/Bing these pickups on my go to patches I noticed I just want the guitar to be a bit brighter on the way in across the board. So, why not go the cheaper route and swap pots first? Plus getting coil split options makes me happy.

I just need to see if these are 4-conductor, or only 2. If they are 2-conductor I need to do some research on splitting them, because then I wouldn’t know where to start. :lol:

I moved away from push/pull pots. They sound cool on paper, but when using the push/pull IRL situations, one may change the pot's values and the guitar starts to sound odd and one is getting clueless for a while until finds that it's the fucking volume pot turned down a bit. Mini switches is the way for me. You should also know what the original pots' value is, because 500k is the general value for humbuckers on all guitars. I've moved to 1M ohm pots and there is so much more high end content... it forces one to redo the amp's settings a bit though.

Regarding the 2 wires only humbucker for the coil split, you may need to swap it for a 4 wire one (slice from a non functional wired mouse)...

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
One of these amps, having a hard time choosing, since they’re quite different, but I have been absolutely loving the Archon model in Helix native lately. and like everyone and their brother is running the 5150 III in some form anymore. Also I’ve been wanting to grab this color of the Wolfgang special lately well, and I’ve got the chance, so I probably will. D47BE3D0-6C99-48C5-84AE-640C5E67AC16.jpegBF86F35D-F11D-497F-AD03-388B9843463A.jpegC3BF1B7E-74A7-4930-9F09-B094194ED606.jpeg

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I moved away from push/pull pots. They sound cool on paper, but when using the push/pull IRL situations, one may change the pot's values and the guitar starts to sound odd and one is getting clueless for a while until finds that it's the fucking volume pot turned down a bit. Mini switches is the way for me. You should also know what the original pots' value is, because 500k is the general value for humbuckers on all guitars. I've moved to 1M ohm pots and there is so much more high end content... it forces one to redo the amp's settings a bit though.

Regarding the 2 wires only humbucker for the coil split, you may need to swap it for a 4 wire one (slice from a non functional wired mouse)...
The split coil sound for me is only going to be for recording and messing around, so I’m not worried about it much. I haven’t played in a live setting since 2013.

A mini switch is definitely preferred, but I don’t want to do any drilling on the body. It’s only got a single volume and a 3-way blade.

As for checking the original value, you’re right I still need to verify it’s value before taking the plunge. They are made to look like EMG soap bars so I was automatically thinking they’d have a low value despite them being passives :ugh:. I probably would need a 1M pot, thinking on it again.

Honestly, I’m just being kinda lazy. All I have to do is change the tone controls on my ODs to a brighter setting on all of my patches and it sounds great. But, I also do like doing minor mods for fun.