What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I was talking mostly about their guitars, but I hate their basses too. I don't care that Lemmy and Geddy or whoever else played them, probably the most uncomfortable bass I've ever played was a 4003 and I don't have nostalgia for most of the tones they're famous for either. I don't care who plays what and it's never factored into my buying decisions.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was talking mostly about their guitars, but I hate their basses too. I don't care that Lemmy and Geddy or whoever else played them, probably the most uncomfortable bass I've ever played was a 4003 and I don't have nostalgia for most of the tones they're famous for either. I don't care who plays what and it's never factored into my buying decisions.

Calm down, I was just kidding.

But you're crazy (kidding again, don't take me too seriously), the 4003 is like one of the most comfortable basses I've played. I really wish the 5s were as cool with fins and binding.

I think a lot of Ric stuff gets pigeon holed due to artist or style associations.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Have you guys seen Jackson's Rickenbacker looking thing?
2916654637_jac_ins_frt_01_rr.jpg
On the one hand, I'm like "cool, it's like a rick" but on the other hand, it looks like an aliexpress guitar or something :lol:
I think it being a PJ further conflicts me.

rokket2005

Reaction score
Calm down, I was just kidding.

But you're crazy (kidding again, don't take me too seriously), the 4003 is like one of the most comfortable basses I've played. I really wish the 5s were as cool with fins and binding.

I think a lot of Ric stuff gets pigeon holed due to artist or style associations.
I don't think anything I said came across as angry. I said you'd have to be stuck in the 60's to like Ricks and you took issue with it. I have a sample size of 1 rick bass and hated it enough to never care to try another. YMMV of course, but I've seen enough other people in the ~15 years since then that have had the same sentiments as me.

Also any company that tells you what type and gauge of string you have to use lest you void the warranty is fucked.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also any company that tells you what type and gauge of string you have to use lest you void the warranty is fucked.

Have you ever read what disqualifies your warranty on ESP's site? I'm surprised they didn't list "playing the guitar."

I mean, it makes sense, it's just kinda funny to see it all layed out. A few other brands have similar lists.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you guys seen Jackson's Rickenbacker looking thing?
View attachment 143928
On the one hand, I'm like "cool, it's like a rick" but on the other hand, it looks like an aliexpress guitar or something :lol:
I think it being a PJ further conflicts me.

I go back and forth on loving and hating that thing.

MF had it as their Stupid Deal of the Day a couple months ago and if the green was part of the promotion I might have just grabbed one for the sake of it.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Ended up grabbing a Scourge instead of an Omega. WIll probably be here next week

Also decided that my next gear spend will be on a head shell for my Mark IV combo, as well as taking it to a tech to get the OT rewired to the tap for US voltage

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But you're crazy (kidding again, don't take me too seriously), the 4003 is like one of the most comfortable basses I've played.
I'd disagree on that.

I don't exactly remember what model I played (it was from the 70's, probably a regular 4003) that sounded good but strapping it on felt like playing a coffee table. That ruined Rics for me, which is unfortunate. They sound great and look cool but I'd take almost any other bass over a Ric.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the greatest indicator of aging in the guitar space is how willing you are to call a store and see how much a Rickenbacker actually costs.
I remember seeing the "call for price" thing in Sweetwater catalogs. I didn't have the language to express it, but implicity knew it was a flex and a fuck you. Obvs, never called for a price.

...instead, spent my time staring at the ESP Hammet guitar with the skull and the Lynch guitar thinking "who has $1500 for a guitar, that's messed up".

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd disagree on that.

I don't exactly remember what model I played (it was from the 70's, probably a regular 4003) that sounded good but strapping it on felt like playing a coffee table. That ruined Rics for me, which is unfortunate. They sound great and look cool but I'd take almost any other bass over a Ric.

IMG_3563.jpeg

OT: It's alarming difficult to find good angsty photos of Lemmy where he's not dressed like a Nazi. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Cavalry emblems are nazi? I know they are the commie's oldest friends, but damn they ain't that old.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cavalry emblems are nazi? I know they are the commie's oldest friends, but damn they ain't that old.

No joke like 2/3 of first page image results for "lemmy middle finger" on Google have him wearing something with a swastika or totenkopf. Dude was really into that stuff. Famously he collected tons of Nazi memorabilia and would gift it to other musicians.

Latest posts