What music do kids like today?

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I am getting pretty old I suppose lol and I sound like a grandfather. Those damn techno metal kids.

I have always favored brutal metal, technical stuff or anything with alot of substance that was surfacing in the late 90's. I do listen to other stuff but that is my favorite.

Some newer music I have been hearing lately I just do not understand at all.

I heard a very rediculous song the other day where the music was the slow "trendy 5 years ago" breakdowns the whole time, the vocals were very very bad and hard to explain. They sounded like if a metal vocalist was purposely trying to suck really bad and there was a little techno beat in the backround. I wish I knew the name of the song to help paint the picture.

Also have heard bands try to mix Pop rock/Alt choruses with the "trendy 5 yeard ago" breakdown metal.

My question is: Is that what people really like these days? Is this the next generation of heavy music? Or are people just waiting for the next revolution of a band to come out and melt faces again like the good ol days?

I understand it is very difficult to do something new and original but I just do not understand what some of these bands are trying to do.

I am pretty open to input, just trying to understand and keep up with the times.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I just heard that this apparently exists the other day. Prepare your ears. It makes me glad I'm out of touch.

It is every element I hate about modern music wrapped in one. It's almost impressive. This is just my opinion though.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
Dubstep

Or metal wise: the pop chorus and breakdown combo is really popular. Ah well, i grew up on limp bizkit and slipknot, we've all got to start somewhere.

Kimling

Reaction score
I just heard that this apparently exists the other day. Prepare your ears. It makes me glad I'm out of touch.

It is every element I hate about modern music wrapped in one. It's almost impressive. This is just my opinion though.

That gave me AIDS in my ears...

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score

I dont even understand how they are an actual 'band' when all i heard was techno...dont DJs play that stuff?

ALSO I have no clue what kids actually like....when i was a kid i listened to metal :coffee:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I'm 31 and I like stuff like Escape the Fate, Black Veil Brides, Motionless in White, etc. I also like Soilwork, Meshuggah, Slayer, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, etc.

I think that a lot of these new bands are good gateways for kids to get into rock. Even if you don't like them, several kids are going to migrate into heavier forms of rock and metal. Sure, not all of them will do that, but it's better to have "trendy" bands doing this than to have nothing at all. It's better for them to listen to those bands than to listen to Wiz Khalifa, Nicky Minaj and crap like that.

It's like Linkin Park in the beggining of the 2000's. Trendy, pop, but several people I know that were into them are now metalheads.

Reactions: Les

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
The fact is, that "Falling in Reverse" video has over 8.2 MILLION views... this means we are all in big big trouble boys and girls. (I mean WE as in "society")

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
15-year old kids in Sweden listen to pretty much K-Pop exclusively right now. A fair bit of J-Rock/Visual Kei too if they're more alternative. And yet, the little fvckers don't know about Luna Sea or Janne Da Arc :(

Metal wise, I see a huge uprising for more stoner/grungey type bands. Even Bring Me the Horizon, the quintessential metalcore-for-kids band, have adopted a rawer and less layered style. Personally I think it's a great progression out of the grid-quantized karate-produced sound we've heard for the last few years.

Rosal76

Reaction score
...but I just do not understand what some of these bands are trying to do.

Ya gotta remember though, that's exactly what people who grew up on Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin thought when they first heard death metal music for the first time. Every generation will produce something that the previous one won't understand and/or like. I fully understand that the newer generation does not want to repeat, though do take trademarks/influence, what my generation did in the past. :cool:

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
A lot of things also seem to have to age for a while before it's OK for "trve metalheads" to enjoy it... for example I know when I was younger the black dahlia murder was considered poser deathcore bullshit by "true metalheads" but now they seem to have plenty of cred in the scene

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
What do kids like nowadays?...

WUB WUB WUB WAAAOOOOO WUB WUB

......wait for it.......

BASS DROP!

WUB WUB BASH WUB WUB BOOOWWW CRASH WUB

BREAK!

...now kick it into double-time.

WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB

-------------------------------------------------------------

^^^ It's either that, or that stupid slower than hell Black Tongue down-tempo beatdown stuff where you are edgy if you go over 28 BPM.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
On a more serious note, I dig Borgore though. At least he is humorous about the stereotypes and plays them up while making good music. And he is/was a killer metal drummer.

meme__wub_wub_wub_by_unsealedspiral-d50rohe.jpg

troyguitar

Reaction score
This thread makes me feel like I'm 80 years old.

The "old guy" OP likes stuff I consider to be "that new kids stuff" and the stuff he calls new doesn't even sound like music anymore :lol:

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
it's basically why i dont have parties at my house anymore. convos go like this...

"what music you got bro?"
"I got mostly metal, lightest thing i got is either AIC or The Cure"
"I'll pop in Odd Future"
"LEAVE"

:lol:

Back to the point, think back to the 80s hair metal bands (Poison, Montley Crue, RaTT, etc.) Metal became more of a record company money machine, many gave in and did ballads to appease to record companies (Metallica came to mind first though im sure there is more) In the big cheese's minds, it's more about making something that sells rather than something with substance. Sound familiar?

BVB, AFI, Aiden, Green Day, After the Burial, Bring me the Horizon, Asking Alexandria, etc. Either they are cookie cutter-esqe or just eventually end up doing whatever profits most for them and the record companies. it's not a new thing either, it effects all genres of music and in my opinion, Metal and County got hit HARD these past few years.

/rant

twizza

Social Assassin
Reaction score
BVB, AFI, Aiden, Green Day, After the Burial, Bring me the Horizon, Asking Alexandria, etc. Either they are cookie cutter-esqe or just eventually end up doing whatever profits most for them and the record companies. it's not a new thing either, it effects all genres of music and in my opinion, Metal and County got hit HARD these past few years.

/rant

My derision vacillates back and forth between the bands and the 'consumers' who support it. Who is worse, Michael Bay or lemmings running of the cliff to watch transformers?

Reaction score
Here everyone likes Hardcore-y type stuff, the really young kids like bands like Asking Alexandria. Oh and soft grunge.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Here everyone likes Hardcore-y type stuff, the really young kids like bands like Asking Alexandria. Oh and soft grunge.
How is this still a thing and still alive?... 0.o

Man, it still sounds better than the kids in my area.
Here in my town/city, every kid (ages 15-23) is trying to play this new bluesy indie-style folk music.....where it is pretty much either: one man with an acoustic who is trying to be the next Bob Dylan, or it is one man doing simple chords on a guitar (acoustic or electric) accompanied by a drummer who is drumming on paint buckets and trash can lids and a keyboardist and bassist who both do nothing at all (but they say that they add to the "bluesy" vibe just by being there.)

It is so bad. So bad indeed.