The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I considered re-editing my comment to make mention of the bevel because I know that's another point of controversy around these parts. In many cases I don't mind the bevel, but it is not my favorite in this case. I just can't get over how nice that burst came out.
Yeah I'm just beating a dead horse there :lol: but I feel like that guitar had aesthetic potential for me. I've actually come to not mind the bevel at all in solid body colors, or if it is made to contrast nicely between different colors (I remember a white SCB from years ago that had a walnut top and natural "binding". It was excellent.) I haven't tried it, but I'd bet that bevel is pretty comfortable, too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I considered re-editing my comment to make mention of the bevel because I know that's another point of controversy around these parts.
I have no issue with it, either :shrug:
I agree with you on the top, though. I'm also a part of the meta that is tired of spalted/buckeye/etc tops, but when done with a decent top and a cool finish, they really do end up looking like something cosmic.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I may die alone on this hill, but I think a PME fretboard and a colored Burl body is doing a disservice to both woods. It’s like wearing a plaid shirt and striped pants - there’s no point of focus, and it looks far too busy. Which is why I don’t understand why Kiesel makes you spend a bunch of money on a guitar before the PME option opens up. A raw tone black ash body pairs crazy nice with a good PME. But no way you’ll hit the minimum.

That said, that burst is nice. The contrast of the body wood further takes away from it, and it would have been cool with a bevel delete.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I may die alone on this hill, but I think a PME fretboard and a colored Burl body is doing a disservice to both woods. It’s like wearing a plaid shirt and striped pants - there’s no point of focus, and it looks far too busy. Which is why I don’t understand why Kiesel makes you spend a bunch of money on a guitar before the PME option opens up. A raw tone black ash body pairs crazy nice with a good PME. But no way you’ll hit the minimum.

That said, that burst is nice. The contrast of the body wood further takes away from it, and it would have been cool with a bevel delete.
I generally agree with what you're saying, but it also depends on which day you ask me. Sometimes I look at a guitar that does exactly that and I'll think to myself that I should hate it but I actually kinda like it. Other days I genuinely hate it. :lol:

This is not to your point but it did provoke the thought: it's good to acknowledge that, as much as we love to think we are super consistent, as guitarists we can be very fickle, and some days we'll LOVE something and despise it the next. I guess that's why some people sell and buy so much gear.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I generally agree with what you're saying, but it also depends on which day you ask me. Sometimes I look at a guitar that does exactly that and I'll think to myself that I should hate it but I actually kinda like it. Other days I genuinely hate it. :lol:

This is not to your point but it did provoke the thought: it's good to acknowledge that, as much as we love to think we are super consistent, as guitarists we can be very fickle, and some days we'll LOVE something and despise it the next. I guess that's why some people sell and buy so much gear.
That's 100% true. I actually own a burl topped, PME FB that *I* specced out. :lol: I just mean in general, too much of a good thing is bad.

I guess we can say it's not so much that we're fickle (though we are) but more that there are more details to be had. Just like with fashion - It would be unfair to say a plaid shirt goes with a plaid jacket without actually knowing the specific plaids. Because the size of the pattern, the color, etc., is relevant, and makes the difference between something that walks right up to the edge, but still works, vs something that crosses over into character comedy territory.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
What are these good things you speak of?
I mean, I wouldn't want to win the lottery, because then I'd just have to pay taxes, amirite?

But I should find a photo of the burl/PME from like 10 years ago. I think it's a bit more tasteful (it's more of a sunburst finish) than some, but, in my defense, I WAS young, and specced what might be close to how a tween puts on makeup when she first discovers it - more is better.

And I am also well aware that I have that 8 string from last year with a pink, green, and black resin top, pink and green pickups, and pink and green resin disappearing pyramid inlays. :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I mean, I wouldn't want to win the lottery, because then I'd just have to pay taxes, amirite?

But I should find a photo of the burl/PME from like 10 years ago. I think it's a bit more tasteful (it's more of a sunburst finish) than some, but, in my defense, I WAS young, and specced what might be close to how a tween puts on makeup when she first discovers it - more is better.

And I am also well aware that I have that 8 string from last year with a pink, green, and black resin top, pink and green pickups, and pink and green resin disappearing pyramid inlays. :lol:

I spec'd out the Jormungandr Atlantean Daemoness so no need to explain the follies of youth in the custom guitar world to me :) But there are things that are simply not good. PME is one of them.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
These instachat links kill me, I can never see them
I stopped being able to see them a couple of weeks ago. It's related to VPN usage for me. I have it on by default, but I can see those external links to Instagram whenever I turn it off. I suspect it's gotta be some sort of internal update on Instagram, because it didn't use to be this way, and I don't think SSO has received any updates in a while. Reddit has been doing this for some time, where I can't open any external links to reddit if I use a VPN, but I can access it directly through the app or the website.

And so the perpetual arms race between websites and VPNs rages on...

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

This reason is exactly why I got in on the neck thru Aries run a few years ago - entry level price for PME board. I wanted a PME board but wanted that to be the focal point of the guitar. Got a black raw tone ash body with black pickups and hardware to really emphasize the PME and I still love the way it looks. My go to Drop C riff machine.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I stopped being able to see them a couple of weeks ago. It's related to VPN usage for me. I have it on by default, but I can see those external links to Instagram whenever I turn it off. I suspect it's gotta be some sort of internal update on Instagram, because it didn't use to be this way, and I don't think SSO has received any updates in a while. Reddit has been doing this for some time, where I can't open any external links to reddit if I use a VPN, but I can access it directly through the app or the website.

And so the perpetual arms race between websites and VPNs rages on...

Ah yes. Must be the same deal here. VPN.

I've also had a really hard time attaching images here on mobile lately. Not sure what that's about.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
I completely agree about galaxy burl tops and PME being too much. I feel like Legator's high end line is the best example of this, they're just too blinged out. It's a fine line between looking like a legendary weapon from WoW and looking like that dude that wears affliction shirts, gold chains and wears sunglasses inside.

I feel like even when pushed to make ugly shit like that (it's not like they have much of a say) they have a way of making it look alright. Que dozens of examples of ugly Kiesels...but just in general their gaudy stuff looks better than some.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Oh are you the one that ended up with this bad boy?

Yep, that's the one!

And, Corey (Pyramid Guitars @mphsc), Matt (Dennison) and I have another in the works. Basically the exact same thing, but with a different swirl, and with just one (black) pickup (with burn chrome pole pieces) in the MIDDLE position, not bridge or neck.

LMAO, no, it's in the bridge. Just wanted you to see if I could get you to furrow your eyebrows and slightly open your mouth.

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I spec'd out the Jormungandr Atlantean Daemoness so no need to explain the follies of youth in the custom guitar world to me :) But there are things that are simply not good. PME is one of them.
You have no idea how close I was to buying that when you listed it here. I think we probably even have a conversation in our histories about that one.