What tuning do you all like best? How often do you switch tunings?

• Thread starter duffbeer33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tuning
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Synllip

Cyan
Reaction score
Mostly drop A# and C standard, it just resonates to great to my ear. I change almost every time I play, I tend to go from A# to B to C. It’s fun to experiment in different tunings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
My 7-string is in standard tuning. My 8-string is in standard tuning with a low E, so drop E, basically. I don't bother to change the tunings. They're set up for exactly what I need. I'll use a capo for interesting things otherwise.

My 8-string classical is in D standard, with a low G and D, so it's basically drop G with a low D. I tuned it down to play Para Mexer, but I'm beginning to like it and might stay in it. Gives everything a mellower sound, and it suits my vocal range better. I also get to play things in D standard on it.

What I'd like is a few other guitars for other tunings. What I really want is a 7-string jazz guitar to tune to open D minor with a high F string. Probably an Ibanez AFJ957 if I can find one in existence here. That'd be sweet.

duffbeer33

Reaction score
I once thought it would be a good idea to keep a guitar around in standard tuning "just in case". And then I never played it ever :lol:

I can totally relate to this. Invested in an amazing PRS Singlecut earlier this year and told myself it was my "Standard Tuning" guitar. Aside from the occasional noodling on Lamb of God songs in Drop D, I've only played the guitar like 3 times and instead find myself picking up my PRS Holcomb SE or Mushok Baritone. I think I'm just going to get this Singlecut set up in D standard and then switch between that and Drop C.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
My two 7's are standard, I have two 6's that are standard one of them is able to drop D easily. I have one 6 in open B (my Devy tuned, although I think he's c), one in D standard, and my one last 6 in B standard. my acoustics are all standard.

Masoo2

Reaction score
My favorite tunings are 7/8 string variations of Drop A and Drop Ab. These include dropping the 6th string down to D/C# and dropping the 8th string down to E/Eb/D/Db. Normal Drop A will always be my absolute favorite tuning though.

Drop C is always fun, as is Drop F/F#. Not a fan of Drop B at all for some reason.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I got tired with 7 strings coz I have small hands. All my guitats are on Drop D, then I use a Digitech Drop for those lower drop tunings.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I kind of set my 7 up in a weird way. Having the locking trem Ive got the beauty of the fine tuners, so when I lock the nut down, i have the fine tuners set so that i can fluctuate between 3 tunings.

B standard BEADGBe is the default tuning.
Drop A using the fine tuner on the 7th string - AEADGBe
"modified" A standard using the fine tuner on the 6th string - ADADGBe

those are the ones I bounce between constantly.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I own 3 guitars at the moment, and one bass. Bass is in drop B, so all the guitars are the same.

No fucks, everything I write is in drop B.

I cant blame you.... every since I started playing, ive always preferred to hear that low B instead of a low E lol. Ever since I got a guitar, I wanted to play Slipknot, so I even started in B lol.

lewis

Reaction score
I used to love Drop D and C (D in particular) but since my band is everything to me musically, its been Drop G# open tuning for years.
If we ever got big, and then had the luxury of being able to do huge production/tours with multiple guitars, i would write a few tracks in Drop C# too as a cool half way point.

gnoll

Reaction score
Mostly drop C# since that what I write in and play with the band. Otherwise E standard.

BLD

Bleeding The Weak
Reaction score
I tend to keep my guitars in the same tuning, and have different guitars for different styles and tuning.

Les Paul - Standard
Strat - Eb
Kiesel DCM7 - B (standard 7)
Ibanez RG7420 - C Custom (C-F using 1st string as the extra... Awesome!)
DeArmond S-67 doesn’t get used anymore lol...

Last edited:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Favorite is all M3rds, but it's not great for Me, Myself & I playing.

My acoustic is in C-Pentatonic/NST: CGDAEG

I've got a 27" neck that will go into a 7-string body, and I plan to tune that as NST, down a 5th: FCGDACD

Bearitone

Reaction score
I love drop G and lower. I feel like there’s something about playing down there that makes me write better riffs.

I don’t change tuning often though. If i do it’s always a basic drop tuning (top string dropped a whole step)

I don’t have a clue how people try all these weird tunings and actually write new things successfully. It’s taken me years to learn to see shapes on the guitar in one tuning. Couldn’t imagine scrambling things around now lol

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
I tend to favor standard, Drop D, and Drop C# a lot. Having 10-52 strings lets me tune to anything until Drop C with my desired string tension, anything lower requires me to get thicker strings. I'm interested in getting a Drop pedal so I don't have to retune often or get some thicker strings.

Sogradde

Reaction score
I've been playing Drop B now for at least 7 years, ever since I switched back to 6 strings. I plan to grab another 7-string soonish though to go for a different tuning. I'm thinking about drop C with an added low G but I'm not quite sure yet. Using a Helix live would make transition easy because I could easily pitch my sixer up or down.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I used to be terrible for changing tuning, it depends on what I was listening to before picking up a guitar.

Now I've just got my main 6 in E standard, my two 7's in B/Drop A and my 8 in F standard.