Whats Your DAW and Why?

• Thread starter JTL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
FL studio (insert laughter here)

most people think it is not a DAW to be taken seriously but the workflow once you understand how to use it (which takes time) is miles ahead of other daw's like raper / cubase ...... programming and arranging music is where FL studio shines allowing me to do one man band stuff really fast (before the ideas dissapear from my head).

Agreed, i found that if you got the top-of-the-line version (i think it was called producer edition or something) you could actually do a lot with it. Gets a bad rep sometimes but my experience with it was very positive. :yesway:

I'm using Logic Pro 9 because my friend showed me it and i liked it, took me some time to figure out how to be efficient with it, using quick keys and all that, but overall i'm liking it. My only beef with it has been said already here.

The only bugger about Logic 9 is how the program processes 3rd party plugins, dumping them all onto one core (I have a dual core processor in my iMac). It's really impossible for me to mix with SD 2.0 actually running - I always bounce the tracks to audio. The same goes for any synth stuff with heavy hitting programs like Omnisphere. I end up freezing tracks in every mix even on maximum buffer settings, especially if using Slate VTM. I'm in 64 bit and have 32 gigs of RAM, so I'm about as maxed out as I can get on my computer. I still end up doing alright, but it adds a lot of steps to my work flow.

That's pretty much verbatim what i have to do. I'm upgrading my ram soon so i'm hoping it'll be better because i really wouldn't want to mess with the processor end of things.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
i used to use FL studio a few years ago. it´s not really for recording. it´s more for making electronic music with sampling stuff and all that noise. the step editor and midi functions are perfectly suited for that.
used cubase5 for quite some time. was ok, but workflow was frustrating.
switched to studio one v2 half a year ago. wow, just wow. super fluid workflow, the drag and drop concept is very comfortable, and the mixer is so beautiful to look at and to work with. i always hated the cubase mixer. it´s so full of visual lines and slots and unnecessary crap, i can´t see what i´m actually doing there. the midi capabilities of S1 are very good. haven´t upgraded to 2.5 yet, though. but they made a new tube saturation plugin that will work with 2.5. looking forward to messing around with it.

Purelojik

Reaction score
Studio One 2. Man that DAW is the most songwriter friendly daw. Drag n drop features, excellent comping layers, great plugins. I was a sonar guy before and this has everything that it lacked. I just love it. it actually makes me want to write more.

i make templates based on the style of my music and can pull one up and everythings already ready in each channel, all i do is jam and then bouce and BAM its great.

Khesahn

Reaction score
I started out using Cubase. Was very happy with it untill a friend of mine let me try his setup. I was sold after 5 mins..

Studio one 2, is by far the best experience I´ve ever had with a DAW.

It´s workflow is just spot on for me, nothing annoys me with it. It´s just
pure focus on creating music.

So, yeah. Studio one 2 pro is my new love!

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
I definitely urge all of you guys to check out Sonar X2. At first glance, it combines all the cool features of FL, Cubase/Pro Tools and Ableton Live. Really an amazing piece of software.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I use live mostly. Pissed about a few things in 9 vs 8.4, but I still really like the program. I actually find recording audio very good in live.

9 isn't released until next week, 3/5/2013. :scratch:

+1 for Ableton Live, though. Been saying it for years, and will continue to do so. I use the full 'suite' version, and it's the bee's knees. Great for recording, even better for sequencing. With the various new features being rolled into next weeks release of version 9, it's covering all the bases I need it to, and then some.

My attraction to it is mostly based on the interface. Once I got used to it, I find that it's much, much more streamlined/intuitive for the way my brain works. All the other DAW software programs I've tried seem to try really hard to imitate each other, whereas Ableton just up and took a whole different approach. :yesway:

codycarter

Reaction score
FL Studio 10, because I've been using fl for 7 years now. Once you get it, its all you need. Back in the good old days when I was producing edm and d'n'b it was amazing for importing vsts. It's also great for recording with an interface.

And for the people who seem to have nothig good to say about FL (I just know one will show up in here), let me ask you. Was it FL being a "bad" daw, or was it you not getting the interface and you sounding bad?

Astral Worm

Reaction score
FL Studio 10, because I've been using fl for 7 years now. Once you get it, its all you need. Back in the good old days when I was producing edm and d'n'b it was amazing for importing vsts. It's also great for recording with an interface.

And for the people who seem to have nothig good to say about FL (I just know one will show up in here), let me ask you. Was it FL being a "bad" daw, or was it you not getting the interface and you sounding bad?

I love it! Its easy to use once you get to know it! And it works just as good as any DAW! I have no problems editing audio with it! Some people say its mainly for eletronic music but I think its because most people that use it do that kind of music! Although I have seem to run into a problem with it as I stated above but I think I got it figured out with that problem!

JamminJAP

Reaction score
Here's mine....

$(KGrHqN,!iEFD0DW(LE3BQ9ZM+8wG!~~60_57.JPG

Tascam Porta 7 Ministudio..... will be on ebay soon though. She has served me well.

orange1

Reaction score
Pt 10. It works fine for me altho the company is starting to piss me off as of late... I use to have sonar but it always crashed out of the blue, I hated it so I made the switch to pt .....

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score

I think - for some - it depends on when they tried it.

My only interaction with FL was waaaaay back during version 3...

I'm sure it's come a looooooooong way since then, but I can't speak fondly of my experience. ;)

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
9 isn't released until next week, 3/5/2013. :scratch:

When I bought 8, 9 was free. So they idiotically let me in on the beta team :lol:

My experience? It's a step back from 8.4 and the release is going to piss a ton of people off. Still, live is my fav.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score

haha, you had to go there!

For me it's about the program never working right. I wouldn't even pretend to know FL studio but this "you don't know how to use it" doesn't apply to everyone. There are a ton of people who read up on everything and still don't get on with it.

Like I said, now that it's x64 (especially when the vst goes x64) I'll prolly load it back up. I mean, why not......it always has and will be free LTU.

IconW

Reaction score
FL Studio mainly, occasionally Reaper and Pro Tools in school. PT's midi features are horrendous but it's otherwise good for recording and mixing.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Proud Reaper user here. Been using it since 3.0, and haven't turned back.

I use it because it's very inexpensive, extremely powerful, easy to use, and all kinds of customizable. Not to mention the massive VSTi library that it comes with. And their support is top-notch as well, with regular updates.