Which amp/preamp/pedal is your core high gain tone based on?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

myampslouder

Reaction score
Lately I’ve been all about my triple rec boosted with an mxr classic overdrive that has the internal switch set to the zw44 mode.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necky379

Reaction score
I’m into dual amp rigs so I have go-to combinations.

5150 + Triple Recto
Cobra + Quick Rod
MP-1 + 6505+
MP-1 + Big Bottom

5150 is the “core” though. I have the most time with it, I’m the most familiar with it. It’s easy to play and dial in with whatever else is going on around it. I probably have the second most time with the MP-1, I used to buy them up back when they were cheap, I’m down to one keeper now because I sold them off when the prices went up. I’ve had modded and stock units. The best sounding one I’ve had is this last bone stock 2.01.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Revv Generator 4ch. Purple with no boost. Red for full saturated tones. Each aggression takes it up a notch. Easy to dial in. This amp needs volume to sound great. Add to that it doesn’t need a boost. Although… To change up red/purple and add a totally different flavor, I boost with an ehx crayon. Laugh if you will but it’s an awesome sound!

The crayon used to sit in my giant box o’pedals until I got the generator. Seems to like it. Didn’t like it a whole lot before. Never got along with my mark v or multi watt triple rec.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
Peavey Rockmaster preamp; onboard boosts disengaged, parametric EQ in the Crunch ch. loop, MXR Line Driver or EQD Special Cranker out front.
The Crunch channel gives a tight, dry tone with just a bit of sizzle, the Ultra channel ups the saturation and low end for fat, punchy high gain with a bit of sag.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
Wizard MTL or the Uberschall is getting the most play time recently. I was using a lichtlaerm King in Yellow as a boost but that blew up last week for some reason. Currently getting that replaced so I'm using an SD-1 paired with a 10 band eq to adjust some frequencies to get it close to the king in yellow in the meantime.

marco tejada

Reaction score
Line6 pod hd pro rack. Screamer, red comp, Rect Amp preset, Carvin DCM200L into a Mesa Boogie 2x12 horizontal

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
For whatever reason my tone ended up gravitating towards a more typical metalcore sound. I compare it a lot to Killswitch Engage’s tone. 5153 snarl, tubescreamer-like boost, a little more low-end, and saturated gain.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I’m into dual amp rigs

I used to do this, but got tired of the extra cable length, signal noise with my switchers, how much more difficult it was to dial in the right sound between two amps, and the lesser tube driving. It was fun, though. I think everyone should try it and gain insight into how to mix two guitar tones without studio FX.

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For years my tone was EMG 81/85 direct into an Orange Tiny Terror. When I got my TT it was like all the pieces fell into place and after many years of searching, I finally found the tone I was looking for.

Then I got a Helix and I seem to find a new tone every few weeks. Each amp seems to have a OD it likes best. I generally try Centaur, TS-808, and Timmy with every amp, as well as the various flavors of Big Muff if I'm going to do use it for anything doomy. After a year and a half, I'm finally almost done exploring, but I still can't say I've narrowed things down to less than a half-dozen amps that I still use regularly.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On dual amps… I’ve often wondered what the fender hotrod clean mixed with the clean channel of the revv generator would sound like. Not sure if the small studio my son has, would allow that type of volume; for full tube saturation that is.

Never used helix or any of the other types. Always wondered about them and how they would sound.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Broad: Mesa Mark series

More Specific: Mesa Triaxis

I hate boosts so I don't use them regardless of pickups in the guitar. I do enjoy EQ before the amp though to lightly shape and usually CUT frequencies and/or output depending on the pickups.

If you don't like boosts (like me), give the Blackstar Dept.10 Boost a try. It's basically like adding an extra tube to your amp. As clean as anything I've put in front, and you get the extra kick in the balls if needed (and Bass/High controls to pre-shape the input signal).

This also means you can leave it always on if you want (since it doesn't neuter your clean channel).

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Emperoff
Was unfamiliar with the Blackstar Dept 10 pedals. The boost looks really interesting as a clean boost for any amp. Haven’t got anything like that in years because most are a real let down. Shipping tape required most of the time to send stuff back. If this pedal holds up to the hype it’d be a great addition to any rig.

Necky379

Reaction score
I used to do this, but got tired of the extra cable length, signal noise with my switchers, how much more difficult it was to dial in the right sound between two amps, and the lesser tube driving. It was fun, though. I think everyone should try it and gain insight into how to mix two guitar tones without studio FX.
Radial Shotgun fixes 75% of the difficulties, without that I probably wouldn’t bother. It all becomes very straightforward with that one piece of gear.