Who are your favorite boutique luthiers?

• Thread starter Fret Me Nought
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi all. I own a small guitar shop which I will not name because I don't want this to be flagged as self-promotion. Anyway, I sell gear from many different boutique brands, like Sophia Tremolos, Nova Guitar Parts, Karma Guitar Amps, GT Plectrums, and Foxiepicks to name a few.

So, I'm looking to add some boutique guitars to the shop and wanted to get people's opinions on their favorite builders. I have a lot of connections through my Instagram page, @fret_me_nought, where I share boutique builds from tons of makers, but I want to better understand where the market demand is, who is trustworthy, and who you think I should partner with. I think it would be amazing to collaborate with folks on here for some exclusive runs and would love to know what you guys think.

Initially, I am thinking of working with Boyarsky, Rebirth Guitars who is my good friend and right down the road in Denver, and Days Custom Guitars who I've become closely acquainted with and is actually building a guitar for the shop as we speak. So I don't have a ton of capital to throw at these initial runs, but I thought it would be super cool to collaborate with the folks on here for some ideas. What do y'all think? Who should I partner with? Anyone want to spec out some initial builds with me? Cheers! 🤘

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
My favorites, in order
1. Tom Anderson Guitarworks
2. ESP
3. Ernie Ball Music Man
4. Suhr

If you're a dealer you may be breaking some forum rules

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Order a Ronciswall and let me know if he's gotten his shit together enough for me to order another one.

Padalka is one I see mentioned around here. Bit flowery for my tastes, but supposedly good instruments.

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Order a Ronciswall and let me know if he's gotten his shit together enough for me to order another one.

Padalka is one I see mentioned around here. Bit flowery for my tastes, but supposedly good instruments.
Padalka makes some of my all time favorite instruments. I just posted one of his headless builds on the page. I am not sure if he works with retailers though.

I love Ronciswall too. I'd definitely consider his work

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In no particular order, and I have no experience with them:

Nik Huber

Patrick Eggle

McNaught
I am a big fan of Nik and have heard really good things about his work. I even got to try one at another local shop. The craftsmanship is top notch.

I've definitely come across some guitars from McNaught, but I'm not as familiar with his builds.

Can't say I've heard of Patrick Eggle before. I'll take a look into his work. Cheers!

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My favorites, in order
1. Tom Anderson Guitarworks
2. ESP
3. Ernie Ball Music Man
4. Suhr

If you're a dealer you may be breaking some forum rules
I guess we'll see what happens. I love Tom Anderson and Suhr. EB makes some awesome guitars, but I really want to focus on small builders. Thanks for your input!

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have had two e scales in the past and currently own a straight scale 7 of his
Awesome! The fact that there are two of you on here recommending his work is a good sign. I will see if he is open to collaborating.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a build that's almost done with Dean Gordon Guitars (a Virtus Headless model). His designs are some of the most forward thinking out there, playing as much attention to ergonomics as to aesthetics. https://www.deangordonguitars.com/

I also love Simon Padalka's work. Probably the most beautiful modern looking guitars I've ever seen. https://padalka-guitars.com/

Paul Lairat also does some beautiful work (although I like his basses more than his guitars): https://lairat.com/en/

And speaking of basses, I have to mention Rob Allen: https://www.roballenguitars.com/