Who is the most brutal death metal band...

• Thread starter marcus2k22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
pmrc_36_protesters@mark_weiss_rt-copy.jpg

Are they protesting W.A.S.P. (We Are Satan's People)??

:rofl:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Most "brutal" death metal has fairly dumb lyrics, so you'd be better off seeking out the best death metal, not the most brutal imo...

marcus2k22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is why I originally avoided this thread. I'm all for having personal preference and whatnot, but the general take away I got from the original post was some pretty big "order a steak at a vegan restaurant" type of stuff.

For the record, I agree the lyrical content could be better in brutal dm, but I don't ever look up the lyrics anyways. It could be about unicorn farts for all I know.

This man knows his shit. Disgorge and DS are pretty much the kings of the genre. To so easily write them off as not worth listening to over lyrics that aren't even discernible seems silly to me.

Upon getting into metal as far back as I can remember I've known to not take the lyrics any more seriously than people should who watch wrestling. It's shock value. If it's grabbed your attention in a negative way that's part of the intent. The goal is to be as vulgar and obscene as possible. This goes way beyond brutal dm, and metal, as well.

It's important to remember that these lyrics aren't usually reflective of the bands actual beliefs. It's usually the exact opposite. Death metal is rooted in horror-esque motifs but I'd be lying if I said that a dude like Diego Sanchez is anything short of one of the nicest guys in the scene.

He's just one example, but most of these guys aren't seriously advocating the things they sing about.

This might come as a surprise to some, but the members of Dying Fetus don't actually want you to Kill Your Mother, and Rape Your Dog.

Technical death metal has it's fair share of bands with ridiculously obscene lyrics. Misogyny/rape included. Again, I'm not a proponent of these things because I don't need music to shock me lyrically. I don't hold much value in the lyrics of bands anymore and I haven't in some time. It's not like I'm singing along to Hammer Smashed Face whenever it comes on. I'm listening to the riffs.

This guy gets it and saves me the trouble of having to elaborate too much further on it. I will say that if lyrics like the kind you're mentioning, OP, disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't miss them and I doubt anyone else would, but to be honest most of us probably wouldn't realize as we're not paying attention anyways.

Metal has been a genre meant to provoke people with controversial topics and I'm surprised to see that it's still succeeding in doing so to the extent it is with lyrics that most of us have long realized aren't serious. Cannibal Corpse quite literally have a song called Stripped, Raped, and Strangled that's been a staple in their set forever, but no one into metal actively gives them shit anymore because they know they're not serious. George Fisher isn't a serial rapist, believe it or not.

If you're going to get up in arms about the beliefs of a band at least do it about the ones who are vehemently pieces of shit, such as Watain who have gone on record saying they've purchased dogs and other animals from people just so they can kill them and use their blood/carcasses for their stage show.

There are bigger issues within metal that people seem to get away with than writing some cringey lyrics. Black metal has had an issue with becoming synonymous with white nationalism for a while now. Do I now dislike black metal? No. But I won't support the bands who actually have a shitty set of beliefs regardless of whether or not it's reflected in their lyrics. I've had the unfortunate experience of seeing some of these bands live and witnessing it first hand (not only within black metal). The sad part is people quickly forgive and forget this type of behavior as well, eg. Phil Anselmo getting drunk and yelling "White Power" at Dime Bash. The dude has a history of doing shit like this and still has an avid fanbase. Pick your battles with more important shit than some (intentionally) offensive lyrics.

It's important to learn to separate a piece of art from the artist. Is the art shocking? If yes, that was probably the point. Is the artist a piece of shit? If yes, the previous answer could be either yes or no. A correlation isn't always there.

I'd say that it depends. Like, I'm sure that a lot of the bands are, in fact, just trying to get a rise out of people. I wouldn't be surprised if someone of them really are legit misogynists, though. It's tough to say in some cases.

As for black metal, while there is the white nationalist problem, at the very least, it's very easy to find black metal that doesn't have white nationalist oriented lyrical content. If one hears music they like from a band with white nationalist content, and it turns them off, they can very easily find something just like it without the white nationalist agenda.

You mentioned something about technical death metal bands who have obscene misogynistic/rape oriented lyrics. The difference is that if one is turned off by their misogyny, they at least probably have a very similar technical death metal band they can turn to.

That's not the case with brutal death metal. I've heard bands where the music sounds really good, but the lyrics are very much a turn off. The sad thing is pretty much every band with a comparable sound has the same lyrics that turn me off.

Also, not all death metal bands tried to be as obscene as possible. Yes, there have always been gore/shock bands in the early days of death metal, but it was also very easy to find bands and albums without that.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I were you, I would not give much of a fuck about that and consume all forms of metal that grab your attention. It's kind of unfair to ask for brutal music without brutal lyrics.

Anyways, here's what you asked for:

Shrek is greener than a swamp so he can't be misogynistic by default.

Antiproduct

Reaction score
Maybe listen to bands that have lyrics that are in a language foreign to yours. They probably still have lyrics about these topics but you won't know about it. Ignorance is bliss I guess?

RobDobble6S7

Professional shit talker
Reaction score
Back to the Acacia Strain mentions...I was just listening to See You Next Thursday and god DAMN is that some stupid stuff lmao. Very glad they actually grew up over the years and It Comes In Waves and Slow Decay are actually, yknow, good in terms of lyrical and musical content

marcus2k22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I could do this thread over again, I would totally add do not post deathcore bands. People have posted bands like Despised Icon, Mental Cruelty, Nylist, and Jonestown Mourning, who are really more deathcore than brutal death metal.

Please, guys, DO NOT POST DEATHCORE OF ANY KIND.

Does anyone know of a band who sounds like these guys, but with no songs whatsoever with rape/misogyny lyrics? That would be great.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
If I could do this thread over again, I would totally add do not post deathcore bands. People have posted bands like Despised Icon, Mental Cruelty, Nylist, and Jonestown Mourning, who are really more deathcore than brutal death metal.

Please, guys, DO NOT POST DEATHCORE OF ANY KIND.

Does anyone know of a band who sounds like these guys, but with no songs whatsoever with rape/misogyny lyrics? That would be great.

I think that when people hear the name of the subgenres (brutal death metal) they just assume that what they consider heavy fits that description and start naming stuff. I definitely got a chuckle out of some of the bands posted in here after the fact, but to be fair it is pretty easy for people who aren't really familiar with bdm to think that Whitechapel or JFAC or something is what you're talking about.

I think you may be better off getting on metal archives and just searching for bands at this point man.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OP wants people to push a camel through the eye of a needle by asking for brutal death metal without brutal lyrics and exclude deathcore. He's thought this through and most definitely trolling.

OP: Encyclopaedia Metallum or your next post should be a link to your new band with christian lyrics.
:barf::thepope:
Or... I will send bobs, I'm warning you.

Last edited:

Latest posts