Who's Been Drinkin'?

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I've done enough damage to a bottle of Maker's Mark to consider calling in sick tomorrow. What started out as "I'm going to learn the theme song to Top Gun" has turned into "I'm getting drunk and watching Top Gun" :lol:

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I also noticed that Viking Line now have Lagunitas (IPA, Ale, and some others) in stock - I recall someone talking about that brewery here. Are they any good? I didn't buy any because of all the other discounts, but if they're any good, I might buy some next time (probably will be going at least once during the summer).

I really like their Censored (copper) Ale. Also enjoyed Maximus IPA. Their stuff is pretty solid craft beer. Tends to be on the hoppy side. Often >7% ABV.

We are really spoiled with dozens of great breweries in northern California. Unfortunately some of the best ones have pretty small distribution.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Their stuff is pretty solid craft beer. Tends to be on the hoppy side. Often >7% ABV.

I guess I'll have to give those a go next time then, I like quite hoppy beer (to an extent at least). I don't remember all the beers they had, but at least the had the Little Sumpin', some IPA and some ale from Lagunitas. I guess it may have been some California-theme week on the boat, as they had a bunch of other beers from around there that I'd never even heard of before. So I hope they'll still have those next time.

Oh yeah and I'm gonna be making some beer with a friend this Sunday :) He's made maybe 20 different batches of beer, but never tried making wheat beer, so that's what we're doing now. And turns out it's a good choice, as it only needs to ferment for roughly two weeks and then it's already drinkable a few days after bottling, so I'll have something to drink on my summer holiday :lol:

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to give those a go next time then, I like quite hoppy beer (to an extent at least). I don't remember all the beers they had, but at least the had the Little Sumpin', some IPA and some ale from Lagunitas. I guess it may have been some California-theme week on the boat, as they had a bunch of other beers from around there that I'd never even heard of before. So I hope they'll still have those next time.

If you're into hoppy beer, maybe keep an eye out for Stone Brewing, one of the bigger southern California breweries. They're pretty heavy handed with the hops in their IPAs, usually getting a grapefruit peel-like character. Nicely executed and fairly refreshing but a bit too bitter for me. The devil on their branding makes their stuff easy to spot LOL.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I bought a bottle of laphroaig for shits and giggles.

I've heard the Islay single malt style described as a seaside campfire in liquid form, and would tend to agree. I had Lagavulin at a tasting and while I appreciated it, I was glad I hadn't bought a bottle. Haven't had Laphroaig but I imagine it's similar. Let us know what you think. :)

I'm more of a Speyside guy myself...

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I've heard the Islay single malt style described as a seaside campfire in liquid form, and would tend to agree. I had Lagavulin at a tasting and while I appreciated it, I was glad I hadn't bought a bottle. Haven't had Laphroaig but I imagine it's similar. Let us know what you think. :)

I'm more of a Speyside guy myself...
I'm a scotch noob, I've only tried mclellan and some cheaper swill in the past. Laphroaig is quite smooth and smoky though. I mostly bought it because I'm trying to branch out from beer and vodka :lol:

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I'm a scotch noob, I've only tried mclellan and some cheaper swill in the past. Laphroaig is quite smooth and smoky though. I mostly bought it because I'm trying to branch out from beer and vodka :lol:

If you want to get into some good whiskey for relatively cheap, check out the Kirkland Signature stuff at Costco. Not kidding. At a family get-together we brought all our whiskey and had a tasting. Kirkland's bourbon, at like $30, was on par with stuff in the $60+ range, and the only thing that really beat it was a $120 bottle of Cutwater Devi's Share. Their 25 year Speyside single malt was as good as anything there, including expensive stuff from Japan and Glenfiddich.

The only "cheap" thing about the Kirkland stuff is the branding IMHO.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
If you want to get into some good whiskey for relatively cheap, check out the Kirkland Signature stuff at Costco. Not kidding. At a family get-together we brought all our whiskey and had a tasting. Kirkland's bourbon, at like $30, was on par with stuff in the $60+ range, and the only thing that really beat it was a $120 bottle of Cutwater Devi's Share. Their 25 year Speyside single malt was as good as anything there, including expensive stuff from Japan and Glenfiddich.

The only "cheap" thing about the Kirkland stuff is the branding IMHO.
Kirkland's vodka is the same way. Their kirkland brand vodka is literally Grey goose in a kirkland bottle, and it's cheaper than grey goose :lol:
I'll check out their bourbon.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Kirkland's vodka is the same way. Their kirkland brand vodka is literally Grey goose in a kirkland bottle, and it's cheaper than grey goose :lol:
I'll check out their bourbon.
The bourbon is slightly tweaked Knob Creek small batch. Higher proof and a bit less barrel time IIRC.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
My favorite whiskey is Jameson (maybe the caskmate-version, normal one is really nice too), and I like Irish whiskey in general. Goes really well with coffee. As for scotch, I don't remember which ones I've tried :lol: But among those that I've drunk more than a sip of, my favorite is Chivas Regal. My dad always has a few bottles of that lying around, so that became sort of like the afternoon drink when I was around there.

Ooh and on a sidenote, my wheat beer is almost done fermenting, so we will be bottling it on Sunday :)

ZombieDank

Reaction score
Ooh and on a sidenote, my wheat beer is almost done fermenting, so we will be bottling it on Sunday :)

Glad to see someone else here brews! I've got a Chocolate Peanut Butter Milk Stout on tap right now that I was really pleased with. I'm planning to do a Lime Pale Ale pretty soon here for summer too. Back to the scotch.. a buddy of mine picked up Laphroaig Lore for me and I'm stoked to give it a try this weekend. :cheers:

Demiurge

Reaction score
Having a vodka & Dr. Pepper to warm me up for some real drinking. It's not great- but nothing is, hence the drinkin'.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Glad to see someone else here brews! I've got a Chocolate Peanut Butter Milk Stout on tap right now that I was really pleased with. I'm planning to do a Lime Pale Ale pretty soon here for summer too.

Yep, it's a new hobby for me :) Been planning on giving it a go a long time already, but now that I bought a house, it's actually possible. Just bottled the wheat beer earlier today and seems like it went all good. A couple of weeks sitting in the basement and then I'll know :)

Lime Pale Ale sounds like an awesome summer drink! The stout on the other hand sounds like a winter beer.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
tried some random beer by miller called two hats pineapple. It's pisswater, but it's perfect for 90F days, especially with the slight hint of pineapple.