Will I have to file my nut? 11-70s

sevenstringdjentman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently bought a stringjoy 11-70 set of strings, I know that you cannot know for sure, but, in general, will i have to file it? I can't afford a tech and can't afford to replace this guitar if I mess it up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
I can't afford a tech and can't afford to replace this guitar if I mess it up

Why would your replace a guitar if you mess up a nut?

will i have to file it?

I'm guessing that since you don't have the money for the tech, you don't have the money for the files either. You can just widen the slots by lightly pulling the string back and forth through the slot, it should move quite smoothly inside. Then, if you like the string gauges, go to the tech.

nickgray

Reaction score
Because I'm a noob that doesn't know what hes talking about lmao

The nut is a serviceable and replaceable component, it's lightly glued to the side of the fretboard. The actual "guitar" is the hunk of wood that is the body, and the hunk of wood that is the neck. If it's a bolt-on, the neck is easily replaceable too. Frets are replaceable, and even the fretboard can be unglued.

sevenstringdjentman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The nut is a serviceable and replaceable component, it's lightly glued to the side of the fretboard. The actual "guitar" is the hunk of wood that is the body, and the hunk of wood that is the neck. If it's a bolt-on, the neck is easily replaceable too. Frets are replaceable, and even the fretboard can be unglued.
Would widening the nut with the string make it impossible to put smaller strings on? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Would widening the nut with the string make it impossible to put smaller strings on? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

You very likely will have to take it back to a tech to replace the nut or I believe the slots can be filled with something and refiled. Better to replace though probably.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Using a string as a file will degrade the string by contaminating the windings and gaps between the windings with plastic debris, as well as fatiguing the string by filing. String windings are rounded so do not file well.
Do not buy nut files, very expensive and only come in a few widths.

I widen nut slots usng a 'diamond needle file' with a curved side, very cheap. I file back one slot wall at a time, using the curved side, being very careful to not deepen the slot.
Would widening the nut with the string make it impossible to put smaller strings on?
Locking nut? Assuming not ...
Answer is no. This is a common myth.

sevenstringdjentman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Using a string as a file will degrade the string by contaminating the windings and gaps between the windings with plastic debris, as well as fatiguing the string by filing. String windings are rounded so do not file well.
Do not buy nut files, very expensive and only come in a few widths.

I widen nut slots usng a 'diamond needle file' with a curved side, very cheap. I file back one slot wall at a time, using the curved side, being very careful to not deepen the slot.

Locking nut? Assuming not ...
Answer is no. This is a common myth.
How badly will it degrade the string?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
beavis-and-butt-head-laughing.gif

On a more serious note, I have personally found nut slotting files to be worth the money if you're going to be using them with any regularity, especially the smaller sizes. You can also get "abrasive cord" that I find really useful, it's basically sandpaper floss. Good for cleaning burrs and stuff off of nuts, saddles, etc.

You don't "need" that stuff and many people more qualified than I do perfectly well without it, but it definitely helps me.

Dayn

Reaction score
I second getting some small, rounded diamond files. I got a set very cheap off Amazon. They're hardly luthier-quality, but for some schlub who just wants a thicker string, they're good enough.

I also want to reiterate to make sure when you widen it, you do not under any circumstance press down. You don't want to make it deeper, only wider. Take it very gradually. Give it a swipe with the file once and see if the string fits. Then repeat until it does.

Edika

Reaction score
Having asked a tech about fixed bridge nuts and string gauges, he said you can go up or down a gauge with no particular issue but going from a 60 to a 70 gauge for example is not ideal. If the strings are quite a bit thicker they bind on the nut and you have that plinking sound when you're tuning or bending the string and going out of tune. If it was shaped for wider strings and go back to lighter strings but do a big jump then the strings vibrate too much on the nut giving a kind of sitar sound and the guitar is also too noisy due to sympathetic resonance ( not the only cause though).