Wintersun's Groundhog's Day Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
Fuckin love
1. the PACKAGE being capslocked
2. the selfie with the phone hiding the face like "I don't want people to know I'm part of this band"

I listened to Time I again and I do still dig it. I definitely want to hear Time II, but just like every crowdfunding so far, I'm not giving one cent. I'll spend money on the album once it's released.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
It would've been cool to just drop the album today. Like "we're done with waiting, enjoy". That would've been the move.

But holy shit is it cringeworthy that he decides to go for a new crowdfunding. Like, fucking seriously?

I will always remember Nolly's Nail The Mix, talking about Devin's Transcendence. He did majority of mixing for that when on tour, with headphones. Same with Buster Odeholm, he did a first mix of Born Of Osiris's Soul Sphere on headphones while on tour. But hey, Jari needs a studio! NEEDS it.

And building a studio for this kind of music isn't like building the London Royal Festival Hall. The audacity to imply that 300K won't buy a decent studio in Finland is obscene. One of my friends has a great studio that cost like 30K, (the property itself cost like 80K) - sure, it's not in the middle of Helsinki, but a decent drive away.

But Jari shouldn't have a proper studio, period. He's the worst kind of option-paralyzed perfectionist there is, and that will only increase with all the possible bells and whistles / added variables at hand.

mehegama

Reaction score
I definitely want to hear Time II
You have already heard half of it. In my opinion it is nowhere near the 3 epics of Time I. These 2 songs are way to repetitive with a main riff and its variations going on and on. A bit like the TFS album. And if the production is similar to any of these 2 albums (Time I : way too much orchestra, muffling the guitars - TFS: awful dry production with really bad drums), we are heading to a disaster.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
It would've been cool to just drop the album today. Like "we're done with waiting, enjoy". That would've been the move.
I think this would have been the best move from a PR perspective. It's one thing to announce that you've finally caught the white whale, even to say that it will be released later this year and not immediately, but it's not hard to see why people are frustrated at the thought of another crowdfund.

Me personally, I kinda gave up caring a long time ago - I'll likely wait for the tracks to hit Spotify. I don't regret contributing to the first CF as I knew what I was getting into and wish(ed) I could have had such an audience for my (ex) band that we could have achieved something similar (albeit on a much smaller scale), but another one at this point when the industry is seemingly on life support for all but the biggest bands seems a little out of touch.

Metropolis

Reaction score

But holy shit is it cringeworthy that he decides to go for a new crowdfunding. Like, fucking seriously?

I will always remember Nolly's Nail The Mix, talking about Devin's Transcendence. He did majority of mixing for that when on tour, with headphones. Same with Buster Odeholm, he did a first mix of Born Of Osiris's Soul Sphere on headphones while on tour. But hey, Jari needs a studio! NEEDS it.

And building a studio for this kind of music isn't like building the London Royal Festival Hall. The audacity to imply that 300K won't buy a decent studio in Finland is obscene. One of my friends has a great studio that cost like 30K, (the property itself cost like 80K) - sure, it's not in the middle of Helsinki, but a decent drive away.

But Jari shouldn't have a proper studio, period. He's the worst kind of option-paralyzed perfectionist there is, and that will only increase with all the possible bells and whistles / added variables at hand.

"Hi guys, Jari here! Yeah I wanted you to have this album I just made for the last fifteen years for free" :coffee:

300k gets you like one seat in Royal Albert Hall :lol: All those albums "mixed" on headphones during tour got probably triple checked afterwards in proper studio with monitors.

Crowdfunding in Wintersun's case is selling already made album, and not funding to make an album specifically. Which is basically almost same as pre-orfdering an album. It's way more reasonable to get lots of exclusive stuff as a fan also. But you don't have to buy it this time either.

80k property in this country being a studio is either a warehouse, middle of nowhere, or both. I hope Jari's sauna will cost at least 30k...

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I'll be honest - I read the whole vague "it is finally ready yay!" post with a lingering "what's the catch then?" vibe throughout. Jari has not only met but exceeded my expectations in hilarious fashion! :lol:

The mystery now is "what BS will be posted as the reason for needing more money?" - I can't wait!

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I'll be honest - I read the whole vague "it is finally ready yay!" post with a lingering "what's the catch then?" vibe throughout. Jari has not only met but exceeded my expectations in hilarious fashion! :lol:

The mystery now is "what BS will be posted as the reason for needing more money?" - I can't wait!

Probably a set of Wintersun themed mobile wallpapers.

Metropolis

Reaction score
It doesn't need any bullshit, basically Time II is going to sell itself. Years of complaining might even help to sell it more :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

But Fred, clearly it's extra money for Jari's very big PACKAGE! (capitalization his not mine)

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
"Hi guys, Jari here! Yeah I wanted you to have this album I just made for the last fifteen years for free" :coffee:

300k gets you like one seat in Royal Albert Hall :lol: All those albums "mixed" on headphones during tour got probably triple checked afterwards in proper studio with monitors.

Crowdfunding in Wintersun's case is selling already made album, and not funding to make an album specifically. Which is basically almost same as pre-orfdering an album. It's way more reasonable to get lots of exclusive stuff as a fan also. But you don't have to buy it this time either.

80k property in this country being a studio is either a warehouse, middle of nowhere, or both. I hope Jari's sauna will cost at least 30k...
Jesus motherfucking Christ. You can't be backing this guy.
This is damn near confirmation that you're Jari.

Anwyay - my point is that Jari's energy shouldn't be used for mixing at all. Production maybe, but not mixing. He clearly sucks at it.

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
I don't think this was the suggestion neccesarily, he could easily drop it on bandcamp to make money from it. The industry isn't what it used to be and it appears to be getting more and more decrepit by the day, so sticking to this old-world expectation of making significant money from record sales seems out of touch.

Most people will probably just listen on Spotify anyway.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Jesus motherfucking Christ. You can't be backing this guy.
This is damn near confirmation that you're Jari.

Anwyay - my point is that Jari's energy shouldn't be used for mixing at all. Production maybe, but not mixing. He clearly sucks at it.

We are back at the someone here is Jari meme, okay. Buying another PACKAGE on 1st of march 2024 from another person (Jari) will confirm it.

Metropolis

Reaction score
What if the "crowdfunding" would be just called; "pre-order"? Would it be better for everyone's whiny little ass?

I'm more excited about Jari reinvigorating this thread than I am about Time II.

Concentrating on entirely false and meaningless things while not getting the point at all. Pretty much sums up the human kind. Another thing is how all the negativity gets praised here by stupid amounts. If you twist something enough, it might be just the only truth you know.