Wood type(s)

Pawzuzu

Reaction score
Okay so I am looking around and 8-string guitars and someone mentioned Blackmachine, so I checked them out and stumbled upon this beauty:

blackmachine F8

Now while I don't believe I can afford such a guitar I, I'd like to know what kind of timber is used on the fretboard and body top. The website says "2mm Ebony" but I didn't know ebony could be that light so I am wondering. I'd to know what kind of wood that is, and if it is in fact ebony, what is done to the wood to make it look like that? Thanks everyone in advance for your help !

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aerospace274

Scotty G!
Reaction score
I assume that means the top is 2mm thick, made of ebony wood. I don't think all ebony is pitch black, so I don't think there's really anything done to it to make it look that way. :/ Just guessing here.
Edit: In fact if you google "Ebony Wood" and look in images, some of the first examples are light colored. Also if you google those exact words it may be a good idea to have some filters on or you may get pictures of a different kind of uh, 'ebony wood'.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
As far as tonewoods go, there are many species of ebony, and even two pieces of ebony from the same species, or even from different parts of the same particular tree will vary enough in grain and density to produce differences in look, feel, and tone.

Blackmachines cost a lot of scrap new, and even more used, not just because of the materials, but also because of the labor cost and level of workmanship. If you plan on buying the raw materials to produce a Blackmachine copy, don't expect it to turn out identical, unless you have tons of experience as a luthier, as well as all of the appropriate tools.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
As Bostjan has stated, ebony wood comes in many different colors, densities, grain patterns, etc. Though its most known form is pitch black, or with very contrasting color (Light cream and dark brown/pitch black).

However, the guitar pictured in the F8 section has a spalted maple top. You can customize your guitar and choose among an array of top woods that Doug has. Ebony is just the standard option, I assume. If you want change it to another type of wood, the price may vary. The tops for that guitar are 2mm in thickness.

While I'm at that, let me state that it's practically impossible to get a Blackmachine now. If you plan on doing a copy, though... I'd very much love to see what you pull off! :)

sutchguitars

Banned
Reaction score
Okay so I am looking around and 8-string guitars and someone mentioned Blackmachine, so I checked them out and stumbled upon this beauty:

blackmachine F8

Now while I don't believe I can afford such a guitar I, I'd like to know what kind of timber is used on the fretboard and body top. The website says "2mm Ebony" but I didn't know ebony could be that light so I am wondering. I'd to know what kind of wood that is, and if it is in fact ebony, what is done to the wood to make it look like that? Thanks everyone in advance for your help !

Its just natural ebony veneer that has been oiled!They use a lot of rosewoods for fingerboards,the colour change on the fingerboard is probably the heart wood showing!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The top on the guitar pictured is spalted maple

The board and headstock cap could very well be a species of ebony, but not sure

f8c.jpg

f8a.jpg

sutchguitars

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of "black" ebony is dyed ebonizing! natural dark ebony has grain showing and colouration,you tend not to see that on production guitars as its nearly always dyed!!!!

sutchguitars

Banned
Reaction score
Blackmachines website is not the clearest as regards to materials,infact the website hasnt been updated in ages apart from whats for sale!
The light one is spalted the dark one is ebony!
He tends to use rosewwod for neck with ebony laminates,and lots of rosewoods for fingerboards bare in mind there are 100s of species!

Mukersman

Reaction score
do those ebony tops really weigh or affect tone much if they're only 2mm thick?

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Considering how thin these guitars are, they probably do. Then again, I've never even seen a Blackmachine in real life, so I can't be sure.

shogunate

Reaction score
A lot of people rip on companies/luthiers that have minimal or lacking websites, but take a look at blackmachines :rolleyes: No real list of options, and only one guitar pictured per model offered. :2c:

And as far as ebony, most of it used for fretboards is dyed to be given a uniform look

Macassar ebony:
0560.jpg

Same species:
1000.jpg

Brazilian ebony:
ebony,%20misc,%20brazilian%205%20s25%20q60%20plh.jpg