Your dream rig vs. your current rig?

• Thread starter InTheRavensName
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
Current
Ibanez RG7321 (stock)
Peavey 5150 Blockletter
Laney 4x12 w/ Celestion G12M-70s
ZOOM G1X

Dream
(hopefully) custom Ibanez 7 string w/ (from bridge to neck) EMG 81-7/707 (provided i work towards an endorsement)
Randall RS412XLT
Randall RS125CX (wish it had the metal grill)
Mesa Boogie Dual Recto
Line 6 Pod X3 Pro w/ FBV Shortboard
same RG7321 with EMG HZ7-As
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
ART CoolSwitch A/B Footswitch
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/SA/60
Line 6 Pod X3

this is probably one of those "for now" dream rigs, subject to change at (almost) any time

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
im pretty happry with what i have. i would like an ibanez jem. and a good pc with a good soundcard, so when i record it didnt make my tone paper thin :(

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
After being out and playing some really shitty venues with really bad sound techs, I must say I love my Axe-Fx even more after a year or so of owning it.

1. I can take my whole rig+guitar on the bus
2. I have perfect sound no matter where
3. It's idiot proof for inexperienced sound guys (plug in, turn up fader, there you go buddy!)
4. It saves room and volume on small stages

In short, a huge impressive tube rig is "cool" but functionality like that is unbeatable, especially on small/bad stages. If I somehow lost my Axe-Fx now I'd sooner tour with my PodXT than lug around my H&K Switchblade halfstack again.

BabUShka

Reaction score
My dream rig is:
Marshall JVM
Orange Rocker 30
ENGL Invader
Marshall JCM800
Fender Blues delux

with
Marshall Greenback cab
ENGL 412 Pro

That should cover most genres.
My current rig is Marshall JVM > Framus 212V. Haven't tried the cab yet because I just bought it and it's at my parrents..
Recently sold my ENGL fireball and HK412 V30 cab. Awesome amp, but it's too scooped and high gain for me.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
After being out and playing some really shitty venues with really bad sound techs, I must say I love my Axe-Fx even more after a year or so of owning it.

1. I can take my whole rig+guitar on the bus
2. I have perfect sound no matter where
3. It's idiot proof for inexperienced sound guys (plug in, turn up fader, there you go buddy!)
4. It saves room and volume on small stages

In short, a huge impressive tube rig is "cool" but functionality like that is unbeatable, especially on small/bad stages. If I somehow lost my Axe-Fx now I'd sooner tour with my PodXT than lug around my H&K Switchblade halfstack again.

Do you mean just bringing the Axe-FX and plugging into the stage PA? Sure, that works fine but what do you do for on-stage sound? Need some kinda monitor for that at least. Thats why when I used my Pod X3, I had at least a 1x12 with me on a chair for my stage sound. (a 1x12 and a small 4U rack is still managable on a bus though, Ive done it before lol as annoying as it was)

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
Current:
Rig one-
Peavey XXL 100 watt amp head
4x12 b-52 stealth cab
Fx loop:mxr 10 band eq, boss ns-2
Front:digitech harmony man,modtone killstutter

Rig 2-
Ibanez tbx 150 watt
Crate g1200h 4x12
Front:boss fz-2
Fx loop: none

Rig 3-
Carvin r600
Carvin 1x15

Dream
Well my rigs are pretty much my dream rigs
It's just in the process of being completed

Rig 1-
Furman power conditioner
Rack tuner

Front:g30 wireless system,reverb pedal,delay pedal

Rig 2- Noise suppressor, tuner pedal, reverb

Rig 3- 1x12 r600 2x10 w/ horn

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you mean just bringing the Axe-FX and plugging into the stage PA? Sure, that works fine but what do you do for on-stage sound? Need some kinda monitor for that at least. Thats why when I used my Pod X3, I had at least a 1x12 with me on a chair for my stage sound. (a 1x12 and a small 4U rack is still managable on a bus though, Ive done it before lol as annoying as it was)

Nah we rarely gig at places where there are no monitors... I'm always next to the singer anyway so even if we're short on monitors I'll have one near me. If the place simply doesn't have monitors, we all borrow in-ears from my singer's cover band. I mean, we are three singers in the band, if there are no monitors we can't gig.

Speedy

Reaction score
I think I'm living my dream right now.. Okay, you can always have some more stuff, but:

My current stuff:

- '89 Jackson Arch Top Soloist Custom (one-of-a-kind) w/ Lundgren + DiMarzio
- '10 Amfisound Routa Arctica Custom RR (one-of-a-kind) w/ Lundgrens
- (ordered a month ago) AV custom 27" 7 string w/ Lundgrens

- VHT Ultra Lead
- Diezel Einstein 100W
- VHT Fat Bottom 4 x 12"
- Line6 POD XT Live (to home, and smaller gigs)

I really don't need any fx, or if I do I think I can find them from the POD.

Ofcourse you can always want more...

At the top of my wishlist is another cab.. Live a 4x12" FatBottom, or Diezel Frontloaded, or a Bogner Übercab. And ofcourse, an A/B/Y-box :fawk: Mesa Mark V with a 4x12" Rectocab would be also nice to be my rig number three.

And as alway... MORE GUITARS. :shred:

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Dream:

Bass = Dingwall Afterburner II > Axe-Fx.
Guitar = Daemoness Custom > Axe-Fx.

Actual:

ESP LTD B205FM > Boss ME50B > Roland BN100.
Squire Stagemaster > Boss GT8 > Marshall MG100DFX

I really need to get one of these Axe-Fx things. All my bass and guitar amps and effects in a unit just slightly larger than my current pedal? Not having to drag a four foot cube bass amp on a sack truck to gigs? Being able to use the same unit for guitar and bass? The ability to decorate my side of the stage with a rotisserie chicken grill à la Geddy Lee? I better start saving, this thing's looking more and more awesome by the minute.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
At the moment, I've got a USA Jackson, and I just sold my main guitar (EBMM JP6) to buy a Universe, which I've tried and really like. I'm still on the hunt for my ideal guitar, but came super close with a JEM I sold earlier this year. If the UV doesn't work out, which I really hope it does, I'll sell up and go back to the JEMs and that'll be me sorted.

Ampwise, I got a Mesa Roadster that goes into a Recto 412 (oversized) with V30s. This is by far my favourite setup ever. The only other amp I've tried that I enjoyed nearly as much was an H&K Alex Lifeson Triamp MkII, but in a different way. I feel with the Roadster I can adapt it to whatever I want to do by changing my guitar or pickups, and it'll sound, to me, the best at that. I've done ZZ type blues with an ESP Eclipse II (SD '59s) and Meshuggah djent with an Ibanez with scary hot DiMarzios pickups in the same session.

Pedalwise I use a Line 6 DL4, Ibanez TS808, and I've got on the way, an MXR Comp, MXR Noise Gate, Ibanez FL9, EB Volume, Korg Pitcblack and T-Rex Chameleon.

If I was in a big touring band playing big stages with a big rig blah blah blah I'd have a Couple UV's (all old school ones, love that mojo - BK and MC probably) and a couple of JEM's (again, old - 777VBK and 777GMC/PMC probably).

Ampwise, I'd probably just have the same again, Roadster and 412 cab, just to meaty it up. I'm not fussed about having a ton of rack gear, but I'd probably use a GForce for Delay and put my pedals on a shelf so I can use a GCX or something and control it all more easily.

I just have a picture in my head of two Roadsters in a rack, sweet....

Oh and I like Mesa's 'Black/Gold' jute grilles, I don't know why, but I think that'd look cool.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
My rig now is plenty for a touring rig. I've got an Ampeg SVT-CL into an Ampeg 810. I have a rack tuner, four basses (two four strings, a five string, and a six string), and a Catalinbread SFT for additional fuzz. The only thing I need to do is fix my other Ampeg head (SVT-VR) and I've got more power than necessary.

My dream rig is just absurd and most bands won't carry that much gear in one van. Nah, my dream rig would be a 610, a 215 (or two), maybe an 18" or two for fun. I would only use it all if I was in a doomy project.

It would be set up like this:
18/215/610/215/18. I would throw my 810 into the mix somewhere, too. Just to be more overkill than overkill itself.

It would sound retarded with my two Ampeg heads. Two 300 watts of tube power. I feel a zero being divided coming on. The 2x15 cabinets would either be Bergantino, Emperor, or Lowdownsound. If I go with Emperor or Lowdownsound, all five cabinets will be made by that company. Provided I go with Emperor, the heads will be redone to match the wood.

I was thinking of getting a preamp/power amp combo some day. I'd chuck it in a rack unit with the rack tuner, and a locking drawer for strings and whatnot.

I don't REALLY need anymore basses, but I need a custom jazz, an old p-bass, and more Spectors. Always need more Spectors.

I just shit my pants thinking about this rig.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Current rig:

VHT GP3 pre amp
VHT 2/90/2 power amp
Axe FX Ultra for effects
Ground Control Pro to control the whole thing (on wait list for the Fractal MFC101 though)
VHT Fatbottom 4x12

Dream rig:

See above.

bbp

Reaction score
Current rig:
1990 Carvin DC400 six string
Late 50's Otwin Super hollow body
Behringer V-Amp v1

Portable dream rig:
Egnater M4
Axe FX Ultra

Heavy dream rig:
A huge do-it-all head, Koch Supernova, DAR Forza, Fortin Meathead or something similar. Midi control is a must, a good crunch sound is too.
Axe FX Ultra
A couple of iso cabs for stereo
Perhaps the Egnater M4 could fit in here too with a Fryette 2502 for power.

Dream guitars:
Custom 8-string, Lundgren M8/Q-tuner pickups, Kahler bridge, neck-through with excellent upper fret access. As for who'd build it, I have no idea.
My Otwin, it's the best hollow body I've ever played and it's perfect for the slide stuff I play.

Probable interim rig:
Agile Interceptor 828 with Q-tuner/M8
Pod X3 Pro or Digitech GSP1101

welsh_7stinger

7=best number
Reaction score
Current rig
Guitars:
BC.Rich Bloodbound Warbeast
Cort X6-SA
Harley Benton HBR7-450FRBK
Effects:
DigiTech Whammy 4 Pedal
Crybaby Wah-wah
Korg AX30G
Amp:
Vox AD100VT (main amp)
Line 6 spider III 15 wt (practice amp)

Dream rig:
Almost the same but With some extras
Guitars:
Schecter damien elite 8 CR (getting it next year)
Halo XSI 10
Dean RC7X
Effects:
Boss DD-3
Amp:
Engl amp head (Cant remember what model head it is)
Custome cab: 4 speakers 2X12 on the top and 2 subs on the bottom.

diffrences
MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AChRush1349

Causal Anomalie
Reaction score
Current rig:
-Mesa dual rect.
-Mesa oversized 4x12 cab
-Boss NS-2 noise suppressor
-Jackson KE 2, Dave mustaine livewire pickups
-Jackson RR24, blackout
-Agile septor seven, stock pickups

Dream Rig:
-Engl Invader 100
-Diezel Herbert
-Axe FX
-ISP decimator g string
-Maxxon OD 808
-Keeley compressor
-Vader 4x12 cab
-Vader 2x12 cab
-Blackmachine B7, ebony top, Schaller hannes seven bridge (hey, its a dream) and BKP aftermath set
-Ibanez RGT220A, BKP cold sweat set
-Rico jr. Jekyll neck through custom, Swamp ash body, rosewood neck
-Agile septor seven, BKP Ceramic warpig bridge, warpig neck (Coming soon!)
-Jackson KE-2 Nailbomb/coldsweat set
-Carvin DC727 Deep blueburst, cherry burst edges, BKP warpig set, burnt chrome covers
-Jackson RR-24 BKP Painkiller

I've got a while to go.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
Current:
-Agile Septor 828 stock
-Line6 PODxt
-Logitech desktop speakers + sub shared with my PC

Dream:
-ENGL Invader 100
-4x12 Orange cab
-maybe a nice rack mount EQ

Realistic stop gap:
-ENGL Fireball 100 or Powerball II (saving at the moment and as soon as i get close enough i will decide)

I was actually going to get a noise suppressor too, but then I found out that all I needed to do was put a rubber band around my strings up near the tuners. Completely killed all this unnecessary noise and now my palm mutes actually fucking MUTE. The noise gate in the ENGL heads are great too. I don't like having a lot of pedals, and prefer to be guitar + head only.

BryanFTWL

#winlosing
Reaction score
Current Rig:

Schecter C-1 Blackjack CTX (Black)
'72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
FJA Modded Peavey Windsor
Boss NS-2
Guitarfetish pedal tuner
Danelectro Cool Cat OD (Actually prefer it over a lot of boosts three times it's price. :O)

Dream Rig:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX (Black)
Schecter Solo-6 Blackjack ATX (White)
First Act Custom Shop Sheena
FJA Modded Peavey Windsor (x2. This amp cured my GAS)
Mesa Standard 4x12 (Picking one up this weekend)
Mesa Recto Horizontal 2x12
v30/65 speaker mix
Boss NS-1/ISP Decimator (They both work fine for me.)
MXR 10-Band EQ
Keeley 4-knob Compressor
MXR Carbon Copy
Line 6 G50
Korg DTR-2000 Tuner
Fulltone OCD

Latest posts