Your live rig: tube amp vs digital

• Thread starter Zado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

which rig you use live?

• Total voters

Zado

Reaction score
Posted this poll in another forum and got unexpected results, so let's find out here too:

when gigging with the band what kind of rig you bring along with your guitar(s)?

I haven't included the "depends on the gig" option cause, yeah, that'd have killed the game.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I don't play live anymore, but I always used tube amps. Usually a Dual Rec, which isn't my favorite amp but it's reliable, decently affordable, and sounds good. It wasn't until many years later, upon having outgrown my poor musician going nowhere phase, that I cultured my tastes into actually having opinions otherwise.

Now I like other tube amps as well.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Why would you use your best (tubes) only at home, then go lazy when it counts, in front of a live audience?

Alll tube, of course.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Why would you use your best (tubes) only at home, then go lazy when it counts, in front of a live audience?

Alll tube, of course.
Weight, reliability, consistency of tone, ease of going to FOH, audiences not being discerning enough to tell the difference or care.

There's a ton of valid reasons to favor digital live and there's a reason countless pro acts are all going digital.

Personally, I'm never gonna lug around a big tube head when I can have my whole rig on a pedalboard and be setup in a minute.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Live is use my QC into either the PA or into my backup Matrix power amp into whatever cabs are available (or mine if I need to take one).

My band mate uses the exact same rig.

I own 3 tune amps as well but since we are now fully in ear and carry shit around sucks I am more than happy to go full digital.

Shask

Reaction score
Weight, reliability, consistency of tone, ease of going to FOH, audiences not being discerning enough to tell the difference or care.

There's a ton of valid reasons to favor digital live and there's a reason countless pro acts are all going digital.

Personally, I'm never gonna lug around a big tube head when I can have my whole rig on a pedalboard and be setup in a minute.
I dont play out, and I love my crazy stereo tube setup at home, but if I did play out I would probably use my FM3. Less to move around, lazy over last 5% of tone, and to add to your list, I would be worried about getting good stuff stolen.

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
I usually use my tube amps when playing live. I’m starting to look towards a more digital solution just for ease of portability and because I’ve been using modelers more recently.
I prefer the sound of my tube amps, but for effort, ease of use in most situations, expense/risk of damage and potential loss, coupled with superior portability it’s getting hard not to explore that route.

sleewell

Reaction score
Basically same except 2x12's in stereo with a SD Powerstage on one side and the 5153 stealth on the other 😎

Glorious

Been running my other 4x12 on the other side of drums at practice with my quilter. Having that spread is amazing. Would love to bring then both to shows but can't get up the motivation lol. Getting everything there is one thing, it's dealing with it all afterwards that sucks lol.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I'm using clean tube heads w. cab. I opted into semi-complex pedal boards for all tone shaping. Though I could probably adapt to a modeler instead of a pedalboard.

Giving up a head/cab would be hard though. I would go with a nice solid state amp. I'm not a tube purist.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Back when I was playing guitar in a band, I went through several different rigs, one was a Randall T2 head into a JCM800 4x12 cab and the other was a Pod XTL into a MosValve power amp (using the same cab). There were a few times where we played shows and had to use the provided 'backline' gear due to time/stage space constraints, so the XTL came in quite handy.

If I were playing maybe 1 or 2 local shows a month, I'd consider using a tube head & cab but for regular touring all over the place, I'd 100% go 'digital' for many of the same reasons others have said; less to lug/set up, less chance of it being stolen because you can easily keep it with you, rather than leave it in a van/trailer, etc..

Latest posts