Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30-30.99"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31" or more

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
+1 for 25.5. They just feel better (easier to play) and the tension difference is minimal. Whats more important is the fretwork and the setup. If thats in line then the scale length shouldn't matter especially for B standard or even Drop A

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
For playability, 25.5"; for tone, somewhere between 26" and 27.5". But the longer scale length to accommodate the low B throws off the other strings unless you go with a fan like 25.5-27" or so.

Meh, it's a compromise whichever way you approach it.

exo

Reaction score
Don’t really feel like I can actually cast a vote, because of the fact string diameter plays a huge roll…..

for B, I’m VERY comfortable with a .062 on a 24.75 scale. If it’s worked for Amon Amarth for 20+ years, who am I to argue?

beyond B though? I very rapidly want longer scales and larger strings….G#, I want a 27” scale and about a .070…..

Dayn

Reaction score
I've used 26.25", 27", and 27.8" for B.

I voted 26.00 to 26.99". I think 27" is ideal, but I'm fine with the tone of the string if it's a little shorter. Beyond 27" and I find that playability suffers more than tone improves. But going down to A or G# I definitely prefer the longer side. I just don't think B is all that extreme.

jayarpeggios

Reaction score
Too long of a scale or too thick of strings will kill the tone. If you can handle playing with low tension, do it, it will always sound better.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm about to attempt G# standard on a 25.5, Bb feels really good and it's got light af strings on right now so I'm thinking just a little bit heavier strings and the G# will intonate nicely and still feel good. It pays to have a light picking hand lol I get away with gauges people say would never work for how I tune.

Thankfully I only play floating trem guitars and that adds a hell of a lot of tension to counteract my skinny lil baby strings. I know my Stealth 7 definitely has a lot more tension than any other hardtail 7 I've played with similar strings and my old A7 I remember had an assload of tension.

xzacx

Reaction score
I'm about to attempt G# standard on a 25.5, Bb feels really good and it's got light af strings on right now so I'm thinking just a little bit heavier strings and the G# will intonate nicely and still feel good. It pays to have a light picking hand lol I get away with gauges people say would never work for how I tune.

Thankfully I only play floating trem guitars and that adds a hell of a lot of tension to counteract my skinny lil baby strings. I know my Stealth 7 definitely has a lot more tension than any other hardtail 7 I've played with similar strings and my old A7 I remember had an assload of tension.

I keep a 25.5" scale 7 in G# standard, using a 64 on the low string, and it sounds and feels great to me.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Too long of a scale or too thick of strings will kill the tone. If you can handle playing with low tension, do it, it will always sound better.
This seems to imply that a longer scale means higher tension? It does not, because it depends on the gauges used.
Very long scales causing bad tone is a matter of taste.

jayarpeggios

Reaction score
Longer scale does the opposite of what thicker strings do to tone, though.
This seems to imply that a longer scale means higher tension? It does not, because it depends on the gauges used.
Very long scales causing bad tone is a matter of taste.

Everything in music is a matter of taste, definitely. This is something that took me years and years of playing down tuned 8 strings before I learned.

For too thick of strings you just can't get the string to move in the same way and it gives it this very distinct sound kind of like dead strings do. I'm sure most of us are aware of this one, hence why most of us then try to go for a longer scale length reducing the need for thicker strings. However, a longer scale also kills the tone (IMO). We use multiscale to hit our target string gauge for the lower strings while avoiding that weird brittle gross sound on the higher strings. I mean don't get me wrong a longer scale is good for the lower strings as long as you aren't going too far. But too long of a scale also gives the tone this... weirdness... I don't know how to describe it but it doesn't sound good.

For context, I use 28" scale on my low string on my 8 in Drop D with a .084 string, which puts the tension around 14 lbs. I have even used this down to drop B and I would say it's close to ideal there at about 10 lbs. It's floppy yes, it definitely takes some care and practice to keep it in tune but it's worth it for the life it gives the tone. Guitars are already an imperfect system and most of us should be used to the slight adjustments with our finger positions in chords etc to get the intonation better while playing, this is just more of that. Honestly I would use an even thinner string here (for D) but I'm a bit lazy and like the string pack I am using lol. I know this might seem counter intuitive, but the lower tension gives a lot of life to the strings and tone, I have seen people produce amazing tone on a 6 string with 25.5 scale in drop E (octave down). Stop fighting the string rattle and work with it, your tone will thank you!

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think there is an 'optimum' scale length or string gauge either for that matter. It comes down to what tone the individual is trying to come up with. Everything from Les Pauls at 24.75" tuned down to B up through to a 30inch baritone is valid.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Everything in music is a matter of taste, definitely. This is something that took me years and years of playing down tuned 8 strings before I learned.

For too thick of strings you just can't get the string to move in the same way and it gives it this very distinct sound kind of like dead strings do. I'm sure most of us are aware of this one, hence why most of us then try to go for a longer scale length reducing the need for thicker strings. However, a longer scale also kills the tone (IMO). We use multiscale to hit our target string gauge for the lower strings while avoiding that weird brittle gross sound on the higher strings. I mean don't get me wrong a longer scale is good for the lower strings as long as you aren't going too far. But too long of a scale also gives the tone this... weirdness... I don't know how to describe it but it doesn't sound good.

For context, I use 28" scale on my low string on my 8 in Drop D with a .084 string, which puts the tension around 14 lbs. I have even used this down to drop B and I would say it's close to ideal there at about 10 lbs. It's floppy yes, it definitely takes some care and practice to keep it in tune but it's worth it for the life it gives the tone. Guitars are already an imperfect system and most of us should be used to the slight adjustments with our finger positions in chords etc to get the intonation better while playing, this is just more of that. Honestly I would use an even thinner string here (for D) but I'm a bit lazy and like the string pack I am using lol. I know this might seem counter intuitive, but the lower tension gives a lot of life to the strings and tone, I have seen people produce amazing tone on a 6 string with 25.5 scale in drop E (octave down). Stop fighting the string rattle and work with it, your tone will thank you!
I agree. But the brittle shrill tone from long scale lengths is the opposite of the dull mud tone from thick strings. That's why each person's optimum is the balance between the two extremes.

0rimus

Reaction score
I love these guitar forums, but honestly, when it comes to string gauge, tension, and to a lesser extent scale length... You'll walk away from the forum knowing LESS than you did beforehand.

I remember when using the thickest strings you possibly could was the only solution, and it was stupid and obnoxious.

Nowadays if you don't use the thinnest strings possible and lie out your ass about it being the best thing ever, the thin string cult comes to your house and rapes your dog.

Buy strings, try out different gauges, isolate and test only a single variable (scientific method), trust your own ears, your own fingers. Form your own solutions, concede only to your own experiences, observances, and scientific testing.

Fuck forum opinion, you're way better off without it lol

jayarpeggios

Reaction score
I love these guitar forums, but honestly, when it comes to string gauge, tension, and to a lesser extent scale length... You'll walk away from the forum knowing LESS than you did beforehand.

I remember when using the thickest strings you possibly could was the only solution, and it was stupid and obnoxious.

Nowadays if you don't use the thinnest strings possible and lie out your ass about it being the best thing ever, the thin string cult comes to your house and rapes your dog.

Buy strings, try out different gauges, isolate and test only a single variable (scientific method), trust your own ears, your own fingers. Form your own solutions, concede only to your own experiences, observances, and scientific testing.

Fuck forum opinion, you're way better off without it lol

There's a thin string cult? lol. I thought most people were like "put thick af strings on it!" I'm happy to hear there are dozens of us :)

0rimus

Reaction score
Oh dude, pretty sure they're the fucking majority now.

I would be kinda morbidly curious what the average string tension of SS.org would be?

Not everybody is nerdy enough to know. And then there would be weird outliers skewing the data. People playing octave down drop D on Les Pauls and shit. Low tension even if the string is like a fuckin .080. Lol.

And again, it'd be a shitshow.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
The only time I advocate for even/low tension is on trems because they function better with less tension. In the case of knife-edge trems, the knife edge lasts longer with less tension as there's less force trying to crush it into the post.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Oh dude, pretty sure they're the fucking majority now.

I would be kinda morbidly curious what the average string tension of SS.org would be?

Not everybody is nerdy enough to know. And then there would be weird outliers skewing the data. People playing octave down drop D on Les Pauls and shit. Low tension even if the string is like a fuckin .080. Lol.

And again, it'd be a shitshow.

back in 2014 my band played in drop A on 25.5" 6 strings with 10-52 strings. i can't explain it but we made it work. nowadays i prefer higher tension and currently use 11-56 in D Standard/Drop C