YouTube ordered to reveal its viewers

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
YouTube ordered to reveal its viewers - CNN.com

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dismissing privacy concerns, a federal judge overseeing a $1 billion copyright-infringement lawsuit against YouTube has ordered the popular online video-sharing service to disclose who watches which video clips and when.

A judge ordered YouTube to produce data on which of its videos get viewed most often and by whom.

U.S. District Judge Louis L. Stanton authorized full access to the YouTube logs after Viacom Inc. and other copyright holders argued that they needed the data to show whether their copyright-protected videos are more heavily watched than amateur clips.

The data would not be publicly released but disclosed only to the plaintiffs, and it would include less specific identifiers than a user's real name or e-mail address.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
So they're gonna come kill us for watching videos?

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Why the fuck is our government wasting it's fucking time on shit like this, when they could be getting actual issues resolved?

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
I take it that this affects people other than Americans or only people who watch through us.youtube.com?

Infused1

Reaction score
Why the fuck is our government wasting it's fucking time on shit like this, when they could be getting actual issues resolved?

They like getting involved with this kind of stuff! This is a big thumbs down. When you sign up you agree to a privacy policy, they state your information will not be shared with 3rd parties so this could end up outside of this actual case with people suing to keep their information kept secure. So we could see a lot of wasted time in the courts on other cases just because of this one decision. Big Daddy lookin over our shoulders. Im with you Noodles, Ill just stay away from youtube now.

:noway: Individual lawsuits to follow, I'm convinced.

:agreed:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
:noplease:

I'm not staying away from Youtube. For one thing, there's nothing they could do to me. Seriously. There's plenty of stuff they could do to Youtube, but not me.

This is annoying...

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
:noplease:

this just sucks...... when will they stop? All the companies and all the governments are trying to make citizens transparent while they hide more and more behind some departements or groups.... this is hippocracy*10

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dear Viacom,

I understand that you're new to this whole interweb/technology thing, so let me help you out.

1. It's called "THE INTERNET". If you're reading this, you're on it.
2. No, Al Gore did NOT invent it.
3. If you *really* want to get your hands on something that people watch, sign that Kiera chick from Argentina with the great ass. Her least viewed video has more hits than Dokken's entire video catalog. Her only competition has been Justin Timberlake, and he's still hundreds of thousands of hits behind her (Spinal Tap pun FULLY intended).
4. When you do put videos up on YouTube, include 'boobs' and 'ass' as tags. Even then, you will end up *way* down on the list of most popular clips.
5. Going after YouTube and sites like it to get IP numbers and "non-personal information" is *not* the way to score points with consumers or the public. It makes me not want to watch "Rock Of Love 17"* or buy any of the products you advertise.

Those are the basics.
If you have any other questions, please don't ask. Just stop doing what you're doing. TIP: when you find yourself in a massive hole, stop digging.

Have a nice day.

- Kevan

*= I've yet to make it through an entire episode of "Rock Of Love" without putting a bullet into my TV. Please stop airing that show so I can stop blowing money on TVs. Thanks.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
that the most pointless pile of shite iv heard in a long time.

Jachop

tihi =)
Reaction score
What a corporate asskissing asshole of a judge. Fuck that attitude. Someone needs to throw a pie in those peoples' pigish, ravenous and greedy faces. :wallbash:

And I seriously hope this will only effect american citizens. God, America makes me angry on so many levels. :lol: